User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ajc1989
(newbie) Thu 15-Dec-16 15:21:18
Print Post

Cable My Street - "We're on our way" - estimated time?

[link to this post]

Hi all. I know you might get asked this a lot. Is there any estimate at all?

I have lived in a new housing estate for a year, and the internet available is the standard packages. <5mb and it is almost unusable at times for modern day activities!

I have seen that they have planned my area - Walsall / WS2 7BF.

Is there any way I can find out more information, or do you know a rough timescale?

Thanks all!
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 15-Dec-16 15:59:42
Print Post

Re: Cable My Street - "We're on our way" - estimated time?

[re: ajc1989] [link to this post]

Welcome to the forum.

Let's hope it's faster than some of the area faults they are supposed to be sorting, The record so far is 4 years and 3 months according to people on their forums.

Mind you, they have a habit of cramming as many people on as they can no matter what the effect, so based on the fact it's going to generate the shareholders xmas party funds I would imagine it might be quick.

Really glad to see you are on under 5mbps - as that's what many many customers in bad areas experience in the evening, EVERY evening.

Before I am accused of being a VM hater etc, have a look at their own customers on their own forums, and most importantly see if there is anyone there from your area.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband/ct-p/B...

This one is particularly fun to read.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Virgin-Med...

Edited to say welcome smile

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 15-Dec-16 16:01:50)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Dec-16 18:27:36
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

VM are a hell of rubbish service. Glad I left VM in 2014 switched over to FTTC and never go back to VM ever again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 15-Dec-16 19:47:39
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Indeed, But you should be telling the ajc1989, not me tongue
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 15-Dec-16 20:49:47
Print Post

Have you checked what you can get from an Openreach reseller?

The other side of Northumberlamd way can get FTTC.
Standard User ajc1989
(newbie) Thu 15-Dec-16 22:04:17
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Hi there. Thanks for checking.

I cannot receive fibre from OpenReach. I assume because it is a new housing estate / relatively new road (2 years).

My exchange is fibre enabled but my cabinet isn't. I believe this is because the exchange is full? However there are not any plans when I check on OpenReach, so this is why I'm hoping Virgin can arrive soon
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 15-Dec-16 23:05:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by ajc1989:
Hi there. Thanks for checking.

I cannot receive fibre from OpenReach. I assume because it is a new housing estate / relatively new road (2 years).

My exchange is fibre enabled but my cabinet isn't. I believe this is because the exchange is full? However there are not any plans when I check on OpenReach, so this is why I'm hoping Virgin can arrive soon

Totally get that and I (and I am sure everyone else) hopes that it will be good for you - but some of us who had it wish we could have got FTTC, and the ones who could, did.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Thu 15-Dec-16 23:34:55
Print Post

This is a bit disingenuous.

Yes, there are people with massive contention issues. These issues are down to single cable segments though, which can be as few as 20 or so houses.

Many more of us are fine. I get 300mbit any time day or night. FTTC would be about 30mbit for me, so there is never a time I'd get better FTTC performance.

Until I moved here 6 months ago, I had two FTTC lines, 80/20 at ~70 Mbit sync each, and load balanced. The Virgin connection is a better experience in every way.

The company is not without issues, but the issues are for a minority of users only.

And anyway, if virgin roll out to his area via cable my street, it's highly likely to be RFoG, and pure fibre. The contention issues won't be there for him.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 15-Dec-16 23:36:45
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Well it's nice to see you get 300 all the time and would be nice to hear that his street is also fine. But that brings no comfort to the rest of us.

I do have 2 80/20 lines so I know what you mean. However for me, in my area to say VM was better in ANY way would be a bit over the top.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Dec-16 01:18:54
Print Post

I had major congestion in London at 2 properties on virginmedia, the bill was halved and eventually I was allowed to leave in both cases.

Twice bitten, will not try it again.

Contrast this to my experience on BT lines:
I have had AOL (1 property), Sky (at 3 properties), BT (2 properties), Talktalk (1 property).

Out of the above I had congestion on Sky for a couple of months, in the other 10+ years I never had a single slowdown ever on BT based connection.

Virginmedia was below 2Mbps some evenings for me... I could not even do 480P Netflix.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to