User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fatlab
(regular) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:12:30
Print Post

Advice on how physical installation will work?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Our development has finally been cabled and I have an install date for BB and Phone for 6th Jan. I'm seeking advice as to how the physical installation will work with regard to routing of the cable from the pavement side drop point to the house as there is a brick wall and block paving between the drop point and the house.

Any suggestions?

Dave
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:18:56
Print Post

Re: Advice on how physical installation will work?

[re: Fatlab] [link to this post]

Hi Dave,

Engineers, in my experience, are pretty flexible as to where you want things to go. They will usually run up the front grass if you have any (or under graveL) and often use a green bit of hose pipe. They use bushes too if possible. And then they run it to the outside of your home, put a brown box on the outside with all the connection in and then the usual grey junction/connection box on the inside and if you have a phone line they are pretty near together.

They could run it along the bottom of the wall if allowed. It depends where the connection is in the pavement.

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 19-Dec-16 15:19:55)

Standard User Fatlab
(regular) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:25:07
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response. My main concern is that there is three foot of block paving around my house with no way to get to the perimeter without lifting bricks. I'm happy to do that but I need to know in advance as I can't risk an aborted install as we are switching phone and broadband from BT and transferring the number so the BT service terminates on the 6th.

I received a text this morning asking whether I wanted to be present when they did the cabling to the house which I replied yes. I subsequently spoke to someone at the pre-install team but was not convinced at their answer. To say I am concerned at the moment is an understatement.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:39:53
Print Post

I have never been in that situation if I am honest. I am sure they will find a way as the appointment is also a mini survey.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-16 15:49:21
Print Post

They usually will clip it to a wall or a fence upto the house....
Will they lift up your paving for you, probably not.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-16 16:11:09
Print Post

Is the block paving yours?

Either way this is going to need an additional appointment. You will probably need additional duct to be built which means a civil engineering team.

If the block paving is on public land that'll also mean them registering street works with the local authority.

Been a few instances of it on the builds done near here where they've extended the network a few metres for customer connections.

The wall might be a problem, the block paving they will lift, dig underneath, and replace.
Standard User Fatlab
(regular) Mon 19-Dec-16 16:22:38
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Is the block paving yours?

Either way this is going to need an additional appointment. You will probably need additional duct to be built which means a civil engineering team.

If the block paving is on public land that'll also mean them registering street works with the local authority.

Been a few instances of it on the builds done near here where they've extended the network a few metres for customer connections.

The wall might be a problem, the block paving they will lift, dig underneath, and replace.

There is no wayleave required as the recently installed access/drop point is around 6" from my outer garden wall. I'm assuming they could drill through or under to get onto the property. That could run alongside my grass area to the nearest point to my house which is on my property but this is the bit where it needs to cross three foot of block paving to get to the outer wall of the house. The blocks are not cemented and are on a sand base so they could be lifted and the cable buried in trunking fairly easily. From what I've seen it seems to come down to the capability or indeed appetite of the install crew whether they are prepared to do it unfortunately.

Virgin cant give an answer.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-16 16:39:42
Print Post

Are you asking virgin to lift the patio on your front drive?
Correct me if I'm wrong?

Could you maybe draw on paint a quick box diagram showing the road, the walls, house and where the cable needs to go?
Standard User Fatlab
(regular) Mon 19-Dec-16 16:53:07
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I've uploaded three photos to Photobucket as I can't see a way to embed images on the forum.

The top down photo is the shows the access point outside my property, the one with the car shows where the access point is relative to the point where the cable needs to enter the house and the third photo shows what the cable has to get across to get to the outer wall of the house.

I can lift the dozen or so blocks to dig a channel but I just need to know if thats doable from their side.

Dave

Photobucket

Edited by Fatlab (Mon 19-Dec-16 17:06:02)

Standard User jb66
(committed) Tue 20-Dec-16 23:19:04
Print Post

You could ask them to lay the cable loose on top of the monoblock so you can arrange for the bricks to be lifted
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to