User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User grumpydaddy
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-17 01:33:24
Print Post

Superhub conundrum

[link to this post]

I come here seeking wisdom

Had 152/12 working well on Superhub version 1

Upgraded to Vivid 200 gamer so the 200/20 service with Superhub 3

Both of these superhubs were in Modem mode due to me having a PfSense router

After the upgrade I seemed to be unable to open any more than about 500 concurrent TCP connections for use with distributed computing and when I did so page loads for my daily use were in excess of 1 minute.

Before, on 152/12 I could get ~3500ish and fast page loads too

I had thought that there was some form of setting at the VM end of things that might be the cause so I asked to revert to the 152/12 service whilst retaining the SH3 and.....

The problem persisted

I have since fully reverted to the SH1

Currently my thinking is that SH3 may be lit up as if in modem mode but actually is not and it is trying to do various things plus maybe double NAT with not enough memory.

So, the question for you adepts is: Just what the heck can be the cause? Surely Modem mode should effectively be a straight through connection with no interference from the superhub. Given that that seems not to be the case, do any of you have ideas as to a solution ??
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Jan-17 10:55:21
Print Post

Re: Superhub conundrum

[re: grumpydaddy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by grumpydaddy:
do any of you have ideas as to a solution ??
I assume you've seen the SH3 issues that are now documented?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7582-virgin-media...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_c...

Might be part of the reason?

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-17 11:08:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I hadn't but reading through I don't see any parallels really. This seems more like the modem mode issues they have/had with their Hiltron business router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Jan-17 14:27:59
Print Post

500 is high for ISP supplied equipment anyway, other ISP devices will fall over with much less. My Sky Hub would begin self rebooting around 300...

I am not saying it makes it right, I am just saying even 500 is way over and above most users usage.
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-17 14:38:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I would totally agree with you if we were talking about SH3 working as a router but if the SH1 is capable in modem mode then I wonder what the SH3 is doing over and above Modem mode. In fact is it really in modem mode
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Jan-17 14:48:42
Print Post

And it may be the CPU issues identified in the links given that are the route cause

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Jan-17 15:25:43
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I am not saying it makes it right, I am just saying even 500 is way over and above most users usage.

I think that's a bit out of date, with the average house with 2 adults and 2.4 children, each person having multiple devices (laptop, tablet, phone) and various streaming boxes (TV; radio, Google TV, Amazon Fire TV etc).

I'm sure modern routers support over 4096 concurrent connections through the NAT firewall. 500 would be easily used up. This of course should NOT OCCUR in MODEM MODE as the SuperHub 3 should be ROUTING and not NATing which is where connection tracking is required.

I agree with Mr Saffron, its another manifestation of the Intel chip issues.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jan-17 01:55:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So I assume its advised to stay clear of all Virgin's SH3's then??

I'm thinking about upgrading my current 70/5 to 200 but although SH2ac is more than capable I'm worried that the max of 8 DS channels being too little to deal with potential utilisation levels...

Matt

Connected at home and on the move by Virgin Media.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jan-17 18:58:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by grumpydaddy:
I would totally agree with you if we were talking about SH3 working as a router but if the SH1 is capable in modem mode then I wonder what the SH3 is doing over and above Modem mode. In fact is it really in modem mode

Answering your last point it's not a modem mode, it's bridge mode. Then again, the exact same is true for the Huawei 'modems' Openreach were handing out.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jan-17 02:22:36
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I think that's a bit out of date, with the average house with 2 adults and 2.4 children

If that was the average house, the UK would have a population of over 120 million.
  Print Thread

Jump to