User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ds234982
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-17 22:56:26
Print Post

Virgin download contention at 25:1

[link to this post]

Hi!

I used to hang out on the forums wayyy back, but forgot my username/password so have just created a new one. I've been away for a while and just returned back to the UK, so a bit rusty on the broadband providers.

Anyway, I've signed up to VM - we have no aerial, so need the TV, and have their cable already plumbed in. It's been OK... except for the 7-10pm slot, which is ridiculously slow.

We're paying for 50Mbps broadband, and get around 2mbps during that bad time. Now - that's pretty unusable in practice, even with only one of us browsing, no TV/etc downloads, and even an ad blocker.

I've called four nights in the row, and they've gone through the usual cr*p - maybe it's too many WiFi devices, maybe it's interference, etc. etc. I'm getting the same with WiFi turned off and a direct ethernet into a laptop, so maybe it's just the huge contention after all, eh?

So - the question is, should I leave? If I threaten to leave, will they do some magic to prioritise my line, perhaps? Will they offer an upgrade - 1/25th of 200Mbps is 8Mbps, which is possibly useable? Or, failing that, can I just say nope, I'm going? I assume there's some legal coverage for slow broadband to the point of being not fit for purpose..... :-/

This is all in SE7, Area 21.

Thanks!

Dan
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 20-Jan-17 01:08:26
Print Post

Re: Virgin download contention at 25:1

[re: ds234982] [link to this post]

If you threaten to leave you may get a retentions deal (if you out of contract).
If they consider your area over utilised and officially have it as a fault, then they may offer you a discount until the fault closes.

They are unlikely to prioritise you so the bad performance will remain, instead they just hope a lower price keeps you happy enough to stay.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-17 01:29:38
Print Post

Phone through to cancellations and ask to cancel due to poor peak time performance, see what they say, if they insist on you paying the remainder of the contract then go on to their website and raise a complaint, this may get them to release you without penalty...

Just out of curiosity, what other broadband services are available to you?

It don't seem like they are aware of any utilisation issues based on our calls, however raising a complaint may get the issue escalated to a team that will be able to decide the status of you area's utilisation status, or even do some maintenance (resegmentation) that will relieve the stress on the downstream channels and give you either full speed or much faster peak speeds.

PS. What hub are you using?

Matt

Connected at home and on the move by Virgin Media.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-17 09:25:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by ds234982:
So - the question is, should I leave? If I threaten to leave, will they do some magic to prioritise my line, perhaps? Will they offer an upgrade - 1/25th of 200Mbps is 8Mbps, which is possibly useable? Or, failing that, can I just say nope, I'm going? I assume there's some legal coverage for slow broadband to the point of being not fit for purpose..... :-/

Hiya.

I would consider leaving if they can't provide a date for upgrade that's fairly close.

I'm afraid they cannot and will not prioritise your traffic. The configuration to do so isn't on the equipment you connect to. It's theoretically possible but not without rather more work than can be justified for a single customer.

They should not offer an upgrade. You will get the same speed on 200Mb as on 50. Such an upgrade would be pointless.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-17 10:18:53
Print Post

Yes. They can't even justify giving the major of their customers good service. They will do nothing for 1 customer that's for sure.

So I agree with the above either

How long have you had it? They used to do a 28 day money back guarantee, not sure about these days.

Ask to leave based on bad peak time performance.
Ask for a discount
E-mail the CEO's office, usually the Tom Mockeridge address.
if all that fails, wait for the price rise (which can be 2-3 times a year) and then you can leave without penalty with 30 days notice.
Standard User ds234982
(newbie) Sat 21-Jan-17 11:36:08
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Thanks all. Strangely it was better last night. I'm also reluctant since I don't have an alternative for TV. Still, I'll file a formal request to leave in order to at least get a discount and see if I can extend the trial period, and if not; I'll quit and go to BT.

Cheers
Standard User Eeeps
(learned) Sat 21-Jan-17 14:27:47
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
How long have you had it? They used to do a 28 day money back guarantee, not sure about these days.

VM have quietly reduced their extended cooling off period to the statutory minimum of 14 days now.

"If you have ordered the services online, by telephone or from an agent attending at your home you have a statutory right to cancel an order for the services within 14 days (the cooling off period) from the latest of (i) the day after the delivery of the equipment (ii) the service start date, and (iii) the day on which you received a copy of these terms and conditions in printed or PDF format."

Clearly they don't have the same confidence they used to have in the services they provide.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-17 19:43:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by ds234982:
Thanks all. Strangely it was better last night. I'm also reluctant since I don't have an alternative for TV. Still, I'll file a formal request to leave in order to at least get a discount and see if I can extend the trial period, and if not; I'll quit and go to BT.

Cheers

I see the adds for the new Tivo Do 6 channels watch 7. all amazing I am sure - I wish they would spend more money turning their grainy HD upscale into real HD
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-17 19:44:31
Print Post

[re: Eeeps] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Eeeps:
Clearly they don't have the same confidence they used to have in the services they provide.

At least they are on the same page as some of their customers!
Standard User ds234982
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-17 17:36:22
Print Post

Hi all,

Phoned Virgin tonight asking for a cancellation, and got #28 credit for the forecast period of outage (3 months). I'll give it another few days while I look into another option, then likely buy BT, and hopefully by the time BT is installed I'll have the credit applied to the next bill and can cancel.

D
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to