User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arronlowley
(learned) Wed 01-Feb-17 20:11:32
Print Post

Re: My take on virgin media

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

@chrysalis, where are you from mate? im gonna join sky, they said i can be installed within 5 days, much faster than origin as theyre taking the mick and it takes far too long to even speak to origin.

just asking where youre from because whenever i see someone with less than 10ms, theyre from down south, im in leeds, i usually see around 10-12ms on vdsl.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Feb-17 20:40:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
@chrysalis, where are you from mate? im gonna join sky, they said i can be installed within 5 days, much faster than origin as theyre taking the mick and it takes far too long to even speak to origin.

just asking where youre from because whenever i see someone with less than 10ms, theyre from down south, im in leeds, i usually see around 10-12ms on vdsl.

Are you in the south of the city?
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-17 20:58:19
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

im in the west part fella, bramley.

Edited by arronlowley (Wed 01-Feb-17 20:58:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Wed 01-Feb-17 21:02:16
Print Post

also, im a bit confused, sky could not offer me sky fibre max, but instead sky fibre "pro", which is £4 more. isnt it the same though? only difference is my contract is only 12 months, so 6 months less.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 01-Feb-17 21:54:57
Print Post

Leicester, sky have a POP in the city so I have a very good direct route to london.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 01-Feb-17 21:58:34
Print Post

that is odd, pro is now a end of life product, max is the new product.

sky fibre unlimited is 40/10 FTTC
sky fibre max is 80/20 FTTC
sky fibre pro unlimited is 80/20 FTTC with a static ip.

(regular) Wed 01-Feb-17 22:16:44
Print Post

i guess since i will have a static ip i will be able to setup a bqm, atleast i will be able to manage my profile on the pro package also, im just trying to find my bt openreach modem that someone in the house has moved -_-. it was an unlocked huawei one so not cheap, i think i will extract the sky user and password and use my r7000 along with the bt modem.

how do i find out if leeds has a pop?

Edited by arronlowley (Wed 01-Feb-17 22:16:59)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Feb-17 23:53:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
im in the west part fella, bramley.

Okay. It doesn't matter too much now you're leaving but if you're connected to Leeds South or Seacroft the issues are indeed caused by the hold up of delivery of the new kit at the headend / hubsite.

Held back through possible combination of need for an HVAC upgrade, which need planning permission, followed by needing upgraded electricity supply and some other outside work to allow removal of some equipment in the site to make room for the new kit.

The kit delivers more channels and will probably increase capacity by 2/3rds.

If you give me the first 3 sets of numbers from your IP address I'll find out which of the Leeds sites you're on. If you're connected to Bradford for some reason might be trickier for me to find out.
Standard User paulb100
(regular) Thu 02-Feb-17 02:14:17
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I was with VM for 2 years, I had 100Mbit and it would only congest at weekends, between 40-70Mbps... but I was happy with that because where I lived the fastest FTTC speed I could get was 20Mbps - so before you leave you may want to check how far you FTTC cab is away from your home, also factor in things like what the quality of the phone line is like, if FTTC take up is high in your area (resulting in crosstalk - thus even lower speeds again)

Im in my new house now and VM isnt available so Im on PlusNet 40/2 - I get 37.5Mbs / 2Mbps / 15ms (best manually pinging to BBC in CMD Prompt than relying on any testers as they are usually always out), mine is full speed, and the MAX I can get is a sync of 69MB which would yield about 65Mbps (and 18Mbps up if I went for the 80/20 package), I live about 200 meters away from the cab, a lot of people experience sync speeds dropping over-time, this is usually caused by more customers taking up FTTC in the same street(s), this can cause crosstalk ingress due to the higher frequency's used in VDSL, this causes the sync speed to dip.

So as you can see.. you could jump ship to another ISP and end up with even lower speeds than your "congested 150Mbps", BTwholesale ISPs also share bandwidth, so your not only on a shared pool of bandwidth through your ISP, but your also on a shared pool of bandwidth with MANY ISPs - yes if you go with a reputable ISP chances are you might see solid speeds 24/7 - but not all are like that.

As its been mentioned VM are working on a fix for the SH3 latency issue due to the Intel chipset

maybe find out exactly what your speed estimate would be on VDSL/FTTC before you do anything. smile

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech & Broadband Chat
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 02-Feb-17 11:49:18
Print Post

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

note tho if you on a isp with its own GEA product (LLU) then it doesnt use the shared BT wholesale pool, they have their own backhaul.

Such isps are

Sky
Vodafone
Talktalk

Also resellers of the above include AAISP, origin, and pulse8.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to