User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-17 12:16:36
Print Post

Re: My take on virgin media

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

"shared pool of bandwidth"

This is not the WhiteHouse so I'll call this statement out, while the BT Wholesale network could be viewed as a big pool, providers do have a good degree of influence in terms of capacity they purchase.

Looking at the quality metrics when Virgin Media as a national ISP is down almost amongst the 4G providers for quality

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Thu 02-Feb-17 16:59:42
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

ignition i sent you a pm mate, im getting connected with sky in 7 days, cant wait.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-17 17:51:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
ignition i sent you a pm mate, im getting connected with sky in 7 days, cant wait.

Cheers.

As discussed there you are on Leeds South. It was supposed to be on CCAP and have the new kit by November last year but it was delayed. I'll let you know when it gets done so that, if Sky doesn't work out, you'll know the option is there.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:20:07
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Upgrades should be complete within 2 months, though things will improve considerably before that.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 02-Feb-17 20:37:31
Print Post

you confident a 2/3 boost is adequate? doesnt sound like much to me. frown

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Thu 02-Feb-17 21:14:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

ignition, but whats considerably less than that? because i dont think i wanna wait for it to be pushed back even further.

Edited by arronlowley (Thu 02-Feb-17 21:14:49)

(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-17 21:42:02
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
you confident a 2/3 boost is adequate? doesnt sound like much to me. frown

So the guy goes down to about 80Mb on his 300Mb at peak times - shortage of 220Mb. The migration to CCAP and 20 downstream channels which is pretty much default for upgrade now provides an additional 400Mb, so there's 150Mb of headroom. At 60% incremental growth of sustained usage a year the 520Mb his service group runs at will be fine at 20 channels for at least 3 months. In the interim VM can deploy a further 4 channels.

At 24 channels the service group won't need a split for 6+ months after the CCAP migration, and that's even if they're going for no visible contention.
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-17 21:42:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
ignition, but whats considerably less than that? because i dont think i wanna wait for it to be pushed back even further.

I can't be more specific, sorry.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 02-Feb-17 23:16:20
Print Post

yeah but its reasonable to assume there is others in the same boat, so lets say there is 2 others at the same time with a 220mbit shortfall.

Thats 660mbit of bandwidth.

Just reread your post, been enough for 3-6 months doesnt sound great, when it can take them years to add capacity.

Lets hope there is also a couple of node splits as well so if we add the 66% then times it by 4 for the 2 node splits its a bit more reasonable at a 564% increase. Now thats a proper upgrade smile

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 02-Feb-17 23:19:51)

Standard User paulb100
(member) Thu 02-Feb-17 23:21:32
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
note tho if you on a isp with its own GEA product (LLU) then it doesnt use the shared BT wholesale pool, they have their own backhaul.

Such isps are

Sky
Vodafone
Talktalk

Also resellers of the above include AAISP, origin, and pulse8.

that was me being very lazy and assuming he would already know lol smile

thanks for bringing it up

also Plusnet use BTwholesale..usually all ISPs apart from those that are reporting LLU in Sam-Knows or any other exchange checker (if it has every LLu provider listed)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech & Broadband Chat

Edited by paulb100 (Thu 02-Feb-17 23:42:18)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to