User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 19-Feb-17 20:17:11
Print Post

Re: My take on virgin media

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

what company site?

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 19-Feb-17 20:21:26
Print Post

the dsl example is datastream, that had bad performance issues also if I remember correctly. smile

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Sun 19-Feb-17 20:39:57
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

I just noticed this thread.

I agree with you that it does feel a bit of a let down.

I think we all know the 'up to' wording was because ISP's were advertising a speed that 99% of their users couldnt get.

Now I think its swinging the other way and companies are exploiting the wording. What is to stop a company advertising any speed as long as 1 of their users can get it.

I think there should be a minimum speed requirement.

Isn't there one that stops people ordering fibre if their line isnt capable of sustaining high speeds?

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Feb-17 21:01:47
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
What is to stop a company advertising any speed as long as 1 of their users can get it.

I think there should be a minimum speed requirement.

Isn't there one that stops people ordering fibre if their line isnt capable of sustaining high speeds?

The ASA rules that state at least 10% of an ISP's customers must be able to reach the speed advertised.

I know VM and others are very open to average speeds being the advertising criteria, the resistance is coming mostly from BT.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 20-Feb-17 13:45:08
Print Post

Why are the isp's even having a say? regulations are supposed to be for the benefit of consumers not the companies that are regulated, regulation does work odd in this country.

VM will be open as even with average, with it been nationwide this would benefit them nicely. Their average would be same as it is now.

Standard User Suspishio
(newbie) Mon 20-Feb-17 19:33:20
Print Post

Re: My take on virgin media/Up to claims

VM's "up to" lets them off the hook for congestion in the Internet. Area congestion (which they eventually fix) is considered by them as a fault when a threshold is reached.

BT's (and the others using the copper last mile) "up to" means something else. It means that your speed depends on how far you are from the street cabinet and whether or not your wires are of aluminium substance rather than copper. These are physical constraints that result in your minimum speed offer. VM does not suffer this constraint.

So the same term "up to" then creeps into discussions, covering the same sentiment to users discussing the two systems, but actually meaning very different situations.

On latency, my BT Infinity 2 latency is worse than my VM 200/12 latency. That's prolly due to the aluminium wires that go to the street cabinet, not to mention that BT at 55/10 can't come close to VM's 200/12. What I really object to with BT Infinity is having to pay the same price as the neighbour with copper wire who gets the 76/20. BT are total sharks sweating the copper/aluminium "asset" and milking the customers in areas where VM don't supply.

Suspishio

VM 120/12
BT Infinity 80/20 (running @ 48 meg)

My advice is at your risk.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Feb-17 12:16:34
Print Post

Are you talking minimum connection speed? Or minimum throughput speed?

Parts to the Ofcom speeds code of practice don't apply to cable services due to the fixed connection speed nature.

BT Consumer will provider something not called Infinity to customers with an estimate under 15 Mbps, so you still get service but are not in official speed data.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Feb-17 13:13:01
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
Why are the isp's even having a say? regulations are supposed to be for the benefit of consumers not the companies that are regulated, regulation does work odd in this country.

All regulators consult with their industries. All industries lobby their regulators. That's the way of the world. Regulation made in a vacuum can and does backfire horribly.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Feb-17 16:22:09
Print Post

[re: Suspishio] [link to this post]

"BT's (and the others using the copper last mile) "up to" means something else. It means that your speed depends on how far you are from the street cabinet and whether or not your wires are of aluminium substance rather than copper. These are physical constraints that result in your minimum speed offer. VM does not suffer this constraint."

I'm using BT setup and my house doesn't move further from the CAB but in the evenings and weekends it slows down a bit. So your statement is a bit simplistic.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Suspishio
(newbie) Tue 21-Feb-17 17:17:14
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

@broadband66

My post was simply to point out that "up to" at BT includes the built in weakness of their copper/aluminium solution. The only way they "tell" you about that is through the minimum speed offer.

Contention would be a peril common to both systems.

Suspishio

VM 200/12
BT Infinity 80/20 (running @ 48 meg)

My advice is at your risk.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to