User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Jan-17 11:58:48
Print Post

Re: My take on virgin media

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

Do you need 300 mbps?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jan-17 12:05:30
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
So I'd expect to see exactly what you are seeing over wireless. At some times you manage to hit 300mbit, at other times you're at 130-160mbit.

Times of maximum utilisation correspond to times of maximum interference and spectrum congestion, so until you do this all wired, you CANNOT be certain what the issue is.

Other than that VM acknowledged utilisation on the site averages 80% during the peak period of course.

Did you actually read what that average number means?

Description

This chart shows the throughput of 802.11 wireless devices for the frequency band, direction and mode described in the chart title.

The default Average view is calculated from throughput measurements taken at multiple locations.

How often has anyone seen congestion on 5GHz?
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Tue 31-Jan-17 12:19:44
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by nemeth782:
So I'd expect to see exactly what you are seeing over wireless. At some times you manage to hit 300mbit, at other times you're at 130-160mbit.

Times of maximum utilisation correspond to times of maximum interference and spectrum congestion, so until you do this all wired, you CANNOT be certain what the issue is.

Other than that VM acknowledged utilisation on the site averages 80% during the peak period of course.

Did you actually read what that average number means?

Description

This chart shows the throughput of 802.11 wireless devices for the frequency band, direction and mode described in the chart title.

The default Average view is calculated from throughput measurements taken at multiple locations.

How often has anyone seen congestion on 5GHz?

The MAXIMUM 5ghz downlink shown on his router is only 5mbps faster than his modem is capped.

Given that with 802.11ac he will be using 80mhz channels to hit "1300mbit" speeds on a 3x3 radio, and there are only 4 non overlapping 80mhz channels availible in the UK allocation: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/images/multithumb_thu...

And he says he sees 3 new SH3's nearby recently (which are AC1300 devices themselves) and AC clients are becoming more and more common (Most modern smartphones) and such 1x1 433mhz radios, where MU-MIMO is not supported, take up 3x as many timeslots for the same data transfer as a 3x3 client.....

I'd say more common than you would think that his wifi would become the limiting factor. It probably takes one neighbour watching netflix on their smartphone, taking up 5mbit of data to their SH3 the other side of his party wall, to knock his speed down by 15-20mbit (due to 1x1 vs 3x3).

It may well be a utilisation issue, let's prove that it is by using ethernet!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User arronlowley
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-17 12:45:50
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

i wish some of you would actually listen.

thinkbroadband speedtest, i repeat does not give me the correct speed at any time during the day, i just did one just now and it only says im getting 160Mbps max.

the other speedtests are reporting 300-314...

nemeth, i have already said like 3 times now, virgin have told me it is utilisation...

its not my wireless, as i have also mentioned i have tried ethernet during the peak times and i get the exact same results.

i am seeing utilisation, there is no ifs or buts about it, it has already been said to me.

proof is right here in this link.

https://gyazo.com/08e354a7a07a5fb6a1fec84377c6c0c6

im not moving my pc downstairs again just to do another ethernet test when i personally know it wont make the slightest bit of difference.

Edited by arronlowley (Tue 31-Jan-17 12:51:05)

Standard User arronlowley
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-17 12:49:55
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

also broadband66, i dont need 300, but it is something that helped a lot, makes large games download a lot quicker and id helpful for when more people are using it.

this is why 80/20 will suffice, although i am likely to see around 70 than 80.

the whole topic was that virgin, will do nothing in their power to make your experience with them good, there offshore customer service are the biggest lier's ive come across and should be sacked.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Jan-17 12:58:48
Print Post

What defines the correct speed?

If we were to do things like reject the bottom 20% of samples and top 10% we would probably report something a lot higher than the median in plenty of cases.

Are we wrong, no, are the others wrong no - just reporting the data using different methodologies, and in the case of DSLreports the 24 or 32 threads will override almost all congestion issues, and Ookla with 8 or more threads compared to our six does this to an extent.

NOTE: People are going on about the wireless, since a provider will want you to test using Ethernet as the Wi-Fi environment is very unpredictable, and for some speed tests can mean higher than possible results.

Got the link to the speed test, so can see if there is something wrong with the test?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Tue 31-Jan-17 13:26:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mine on Speedtest.net:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6012932178

Mine here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14858...

As you can see, the TBB graph does indeed show evidence of contention, while speedtest.net shows the full connection speed. This is in a cBR-8 16 channel area.

I'm fine with this though, most of what I do is multithreaded (Steam, Torrents, Newsgroups) and those things that are not (VoIP, Amazon Instant Video) are fine on "only" 80mbit, which is more than I'd get from FTTC here anyway.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 31-Jan-17 13:37:51
Print Post

steam is heavily multithreaded, I wonder if due to pressure from isp's like VM to make it that way to hide contention.

It is not just multithreaded but also very aggressive, some games I have seen over 40 download tcp sessions which is insanity unless you have severe per thread performance problems.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Jan-17 13:50:48
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

No pressure from ISP, but a desire to squeeze every ounce of speed for a community that are used to overclocking everything

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Jan-17 13:55:40
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

And doing an in the head Ookla algorithm suggests using same method we'd report around 260 Mbps

Also interesting its picked a Norwich server (given your location sort of logical), but we don't know whose network it is on either. But then how much of your data download is from Norwich?

Some of the Virgin Media problems in the past have been not just local contention being visible, but some of the routes out of their network being congested too.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to