User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arronlowley
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-17 16:33:28
Print Post

Re: My take on virgin media

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

tbh i dont think it matters anymore anyway, im off back to vdsl, virgin sucks.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jan-17 17:49:31
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
Mine on Speedtest.net:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6012932178

Mine here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14858...

As you can see, the TBB graph does indeed show evidence of contention, while speedtest.net shows the full connection speed. This is in a cBR-8 16 channel area.

I'm fine with this though, most of what I do is multithreaded (Steam, Torrents, Newsgroups) and those things that are not (VoIP, Amazon Instant Video) are fine on "only" 80mbit, which is more than I'd get from FTTC here anyway.

Contention at 1:23pm on a weekday?

If it is actually congested at that time I would be far from happy. Looks more like packet loss and/or a poor TCP stack.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 31-Jan-17 20:20:29
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

some alternatives if you feel is an issue tbb side

speedof.me - single threaded speedtester
dslreports.net - is multi threaded by default but you can lock it down to 1 thread on the speedtester settings.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Wed 01-Feb-17 07:06:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
tbh i dont think it matters anymore anyway, im off back to vdsl, virgin sucks.

So because it slows down to 160mbit you are switching to an 80mbit (maximum) service... Making it even slower.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 01-Feb-17 09:49:37
Print Post

But it's also about quality over quantity - which is why many people make that switch.

But if the speed is not dropping below 160 then yes that's odd
(learned) Wed 01-Feb-17 15:16:35
Print Post

nemeth, it sometimes drops to double figures, let me ask you something.

would you £60 a month for internet ALONE, for it to drop every night to less than half of what youre paying for?.

because I work from half 7 until 5pm, so i dont get home until around 5:30pm, i dont see the speeds i should be getting when i do get to use the internet that "I" pay for.

i would rather have 80/20 and it actually stay there. if you have ever had both cable and vdsl, you will also know that the latency on vdsl is far superior. I am a gamer, not a downloader.

before i joined vm i actually thought there latency was supposed to be better, i thought wrong.

the 300 helped a lot with game updates and new games i purchased, but i can sacrifice the speed i dont even get anymore.

also i will be saving more than £20 a month by going to origin.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 01-Feb-17 15:23:46
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

it can happen, during the worsest parts of my VM era, I would see congestion pretty much from when offices open at 8-9am. It would last all the way until dusk.

I even had signs of congestion at 4am (jitter on pings), but it wasnt bad enough at that time to affect throughput.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Feb-17 18:02:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
Strange how your R7000 in tests only achieves 165mbit downlink on 5GHz on average.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/b...

The MAXIMUM downlink is enough for you to see 300mbit.

So I'd expect to see exactly what you are seeing over wireless. At some times you manage to hit 300mbit, at other times you're at 130-160mbit.

Times of maximum utilisation correspond to times of maximum interference and spectrum congestion, so until you do this all wired, you CANNOT be certain what the issue is.

Wonder if you could explain how my RT-AC87U, connecting to an Intel AC8260 2x2 WLAN NIC is managing this in that case?

You were also looking at the wrong section for the capabilities of the R7000 as I said. You were looking at the average across the profiles and then claiming it was the maximum. It isn't - here you go.

(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Feb-17 18:10:13
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
it can happen, during the worsest parts of my VM era, I would see congestion pretty much from when offices open at 8-9am. It would last all the way until dusk.

I even had signs of congestion at 4am (jitter on pings), but it wasnt bad enough at that time to affect throughput.

My point was more about being fine with visible contention at that time of day.
(learned) Wed 01-Feb-17 19:19:26
Print Post

my only issue now is origin, who is going to be my next provider are currently not making me happy either...

i rang in monday to be told my connection date was the 7th, she then says "oh its been declined, its a system error dont worry". so i gave it a couple of days and rang back today and they still dont know my true install date, if i dont get one within the next couple of days il be looking at another isp, cant be doing with people messing me about.

maybe zen.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to