User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-17 10:25:32
Print Post

Sister asked me a question about the Superhub..

[link to this post]

I don't know the answer so could you please tell me if the Tivo 6 still has it's own connection? She says Virgin says that it has to be connected to the superhub, Is it using the broadband connection now?

Thanks
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Feb-17 10:40:05
Print Post

Re: Sister asked me a question about the Superhub..

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Is it using the broadband connection now?

The info page http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/v6.html says you need VIVID 100 or higher to upgrade to TV6, and they show the hub and TV6 boxes side by side, and the text says:
"Brilliant TV and a fast connection make an unbeatable combination. For your Virgin TV V6 box to work best, we’ll set your Virgin Media Hub up close to it and connect them with an Ethernet cable."

Apparently the older TiVo boxes can be linked together on the home network now with a TV6 (all over ethernet, or homeplug !) and you can see / watch recordings from either in one place !

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-17 10:42:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll go read that link now.

If this is just to stream stuff around the house then it's something she won't need he house is so small that would be pointless for her.

Maybe they say you need this for the cost? If it's going to use the internet then whilst it would be okay for her it's not ideal. Assuming the net works fast enough to actually do the 4K etc they advertise.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-17 12:57:24
Print Post

I guess it's like my CCTV which is uploaded from 1 router. The PC connected to it can stream it in HD from the router without the internet connection, So this (I hope) will be similar as her family would kick off if the TV took up all the bandwidth

Thanks again for the info
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Feb-17 13:46:12
Print Post

The set top does not impinge on the broadband service, much the same as the VoIP service doesn't, though they do both connect through the Superhub.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-17 13:55:46
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
The set top does not impinge on the broadband service, much the same as the VoIP service doesn't, though they do both connect through the Superhub.

Thanks for the clarification. She will be happy to hear that. I was hoping it still had it's own internet connection like before.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Feb-17 14:29:05
Print Post

Thanks for the clarification. She will be happy to hear that. I was hoping it still had it's own internet connection like before.

I understand the problem is the modem in the old TiVo is old spec and quite slow, and limiting the speed of the user interface. So I guess the TV 6 box doesn't bother with a data connection modem and uses the separate internet connection where the modem/hub can be upgraded easily. This will be for stuff like Netflix, maybe BBC iPlayer and the menu system, and the actual television programmes will come down the cable. (standard, HD and 4K).

I think you can now (maybe a software update on TiVo boxes) connect the TiVo and TV 6 boxes all to the same home network and then see programmes recorded on any of them. That sounds similar to the feature that DirecTV in the USA call "Whole Home DVR".

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 05-Feb-17 14:30:25)

(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Feb-17 15:38:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I understand the problem is the modem in the old TiVo is old spec and quite slow, and limiting the speed of the user interface. So I guess the TV 6 box doesn't bother with a data connection modem and uses the separate internet connection where the modem/hub can be upgraded easily. This will be for stuff like Netflix, maybe BBC iPlayer and the menu system, and the actual television programmes will come down the cable. (standard, HD and 4K).

Pretty much. Cable and other technologies support separation between services so that, while they all draw on the same pool of bandwidth delivered to the local area, they are not impinging on the Internet service.

Whether VM are doing this straight away I don't know, but they certainly will be.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-17 15:58:32
Print Post

Cheers for the info guys. I sent her a link to here and she is happy. Yes I remember the old Tivo, I could cook an omelette in the time it took Netflix to load on it. I see this one is super fast which is brill. The 6 tuners is insane to me. I am dead against the internet in this area, but if her TV is as good as people seem to say it is then I might get it installed for me.

It says that you can have 2 boxes and record 12 shows, that's possibly a bit insane unless you have a really really large family.

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 05-Feb-17 15:59:12)

(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Feb-17 17:20:31
Print Post

It says that you can have 2 boxes and record 12 shows, that's possibly a bit insane unless you have a really really large family.

It is of course ridiculous but for some reason number of tuners has become an e-peen measurement for set tops.

If you need to record 5 different things while watching a sixth you probably need to re-evaluate your life, as TV is far too large a part of it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to