User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Wed 08-Feb-17 10:04:56
Print Post

New config file for 300mbit

[link to this post]

The 300 meg service was previously capped at 330/21, but there has been a change to the config file and it now runs at 345/21. Probably so they can say it is faster than infinity 4 I guess.

If on the 300 meg service, it's probably worth rebooting.

Not a massive upgrade, but then an extra 15meg would be amazing if I could have it at work!!

Speedtest
Config page

Of course single threaded speeds are lower, while still higher than anything I could get on FTTC.

TBB Speedtest
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 10:51:47
Print Post

Re: New config file for 300mbit

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

More about the impact it has on Samknows / Ofcom numbers I suspect.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-17 11:05:51
Print Post

"Our CEO has said we will always be at least 2x the speed of BT"

Something the engineer just said when he was installing at my sisters house.

We shall see.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Wed 08-Feb-17 19:18:21
Print Post

miines still 330/21

but im leaving vm anyway, peak time [censored].
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 19:46:41
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
miines still 330/21

You should go for this one below:

Up to 200Mbps download + Up to 20Mbps upload + No traffic management + Phone
Our boss-level broadband for gamers

Made for gamers – play online, stream gameplay and chat, all at once
Faster upload speeds – loads of extra bandwidth for gaming traffic
No traffic management – keep playing for as long as you want
Totally unlimited broadband – as much data as you need
The UK’s only widely available ultrafast WiFi
Talk Weekends – inclusive unlimited weekend calls to UK landlines and Virgin Mobile numbers, plus weekend calls to 0870 numbersϪ
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 08-Feb-17 20:25:42
Print Post

proves its all about marketing and not QoS.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Feb-17 21:17:05
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Gamer service does nothing to help gamers other than more upload speed due to the lack of management.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-17 21:31:05
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
In reply to a post by arronlowley:
miines still 330/21

You should go for this one below:

Up to 200Mbps download + Up to 20Mbps upload + No traffic management + Phone
Our boss-level broadband for gamers

Made for gamers – play online, stream gameplay and chat, all at once
Faster upload speeds – loads of extra bandwidth for gaming traffic
No traffic management – keep playing for as long as you want
Totally unlimited broadband – as much data as you need
The UK’s only widely available ultrafast WiFi
Talk Weekends – inclusive unlimited weekend calls to UK landlines and Virgin Mobile numbers, plus weekend calls to 0870 numbersϪ

And get 40mbps still in the evenings? No thanks
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Wed 08-Feb-17 21:36:14
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

May well go to 345 of you reboot the SH3.

Not that it would solve your congestion issues.
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 22:36:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by nemeth782:

He's on Homeworks+, not Vivid 300. His area doesn't have Vivid 300 available, sensibly, so the changes seen thusfar won't impact him.

I am sure if they start reporting Homeworks+ speeds on the site he will get an upgrade.
Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Wed 08-Feb-17 22:56:49
Print Post

sky was connected today, sync is a little lower than id like but the hg612 will sort that out when it arrives, the wireless of the sky sr102 itself is rubbish but the latency, im in heaven, around 9-10ms.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Thu 09-Feb-17 06:56:13
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

He's on Homeworks+, not Vivid 300. His area doesn't have Vivid 300 available, sensibly, so the changes seen thusfar won't impact him.

I am sure if they start reporting Homeworks+ speeds on the site he will get an upgrade.

I am also on homeworks 300. No vivid 300 here.
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Feb-17 08:55:15
Print Post

Okay thank you.

His area shouldn't have had Homeworks+ and new build connected to it doesn't have 300Mb available at all.

This change is puzzling. I would expect an upgrade to be faster than G.fast, which this isn't, and to involve advertising of higher speeds.

Looks a lot to me like raising the average speeds for purposes of testing.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Thu 09-Feb-17 15:34:34
Print Post

Quite possibly, it seems they have increased the "headroom" from advertised speed+10% to advertised speed+15% on both HW300 and Vivid 200.

Gamer 200 was already 230.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's for testing, or to make sure results show faster than Infinity 4, or because of the 10% of customers achieve the advertised speed thing.

In any case, I'm fortunate and get 300mbit pretty much any time of day, as long as we're talking multithreaded downloads (which everything I care about is) so I'm not complaining about 15mbit extra speed smile

Out of interest, why should he not have 300 availible?

When I moved in to my house at the end of May 2016, this was an 8 channel area, with a Cisco UBR. It was congested, I was on Vivid 200 and got lots of discounts.

Around the same time Gamer 200 came out, I noticed I had 12 channels locked, and managed to get switched to HW300, thanks to someone in the VM store, as the callcentre told me I couldn't have it. I have been fine for speed since, and now have 16 channels, still a Cisco UBR so I assume cBR-8 now. Still 2 upload channels.

I don't have issues with mine, perhaps I'm very lucky, but certainly my cable segment has twice the bandwidth it had when I moved in.

Edited by nemeth782 (Thu 09-Feb-17 15:37:15)

(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Feb-17 16:28:14
Print Post

When I moved in to my house at the end of May 2016, this was an 8 channel area, with a Cisco UBR. It was congested, I was on Vivid 200 and got lots of discounts.

Around the same time Gamer 200 came out, I noticed I had 12 channels locked, and managed to get switched to HW300, thanks to someone in the VM store, as the callcentre told me I couldn't have it.

If the capacity isn't there to service the requirements it's extremely stupid to sell the product. Homeworks 300 was released in some areas on 12 channels depending on network load and estimation of when they would be upgraded to 16+ channels.

I was referring to Vivid 300 which was soft launched, though that his area can't manage 300Mb indicates release of Homeworks 300 there wasn't a good idea.

VM's nodes tend to be too big to get away with selling over half the pipe to a single customer, but that's not a universal thing, some nodes are smaller, less used or have lower uptake.

Homeworks+ is not available in my immediate area due to only being on 12 channels. It would likely not be a problem as hardly anyone is connected to the node but better safe than sorry.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Thu 09-Feb-17 17:31:00
Print Post

Around the same time Gamer 200 came out, I noticed I had 12 channels locked, and managed to get switched to HW300, thanks to someone in the VM store, as the callcentre told me I couldn't have it.

If the capacity isn't there to service the requirements it's extremely stupid to sell the product. Homeworks 300 was released in some areas on 12 channels depending on network load and estimation of when they would be upgraded to 16+ channels.

I was referring to Vivid 300 which was soft launched, though that his area can't manage 300Mb indicates release of Homeworks 300 there wasn't a good idea.

VM's nodes tend to be too big to get away with selling over half the pipe to a single customer, but that's not a universal thing, some nodes are smaller, less used or have lower uptake.

Homeworks+ is not available in my immediate area due to only being on 12 channels. It would likely not be a problem as hardly anyone is connected to the node but better safe than sorry.

Ah, no I get that it's silly selling the product in already congested areas, I thought you meant there was a technical reason why it shouldn't be done for him beyond the congestion, i.e. certain equipment can't cope with 300mbit on 12 channels or something smile
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 09-Feb-17 20:56:38
Print Post

My sister asked me about the 300mbps homeworks package and I said it was available as she (appears to have) 12 channels, but you say it's not?

Is it 16 then now?

Edit

Not sure it's even relevant, considering this morning when I was there she was getting speeds slower than the FTTC she had (a mere 53mbps) So if it struggles to get above 60, 300 (or even 200) is pie in the sky anyway.

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 09-Feb-17 20:59:56)

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Thu 16-Feb-17 11:02:01
Print Post

http://imgur.com/a/MGnDO

Just now jumped from 21mbit up to 22.001mbit up, an extra 5% or so.

Surprised about this, as they don't really publicise the upstream speeds!
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 17-Feb-17 08:32:46
Print Post

New speedtest, upload doesn't seem as congested as download which is nice.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6059877647
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Feb-17 14:29:46
Print Post

There are very few upstream capacity issues on the network.

Your TBB test is horrible for 8:29am. If that is local congestion I'd expect the service to be unusable at peak times if the node is already saturated before 9am.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 19-Feb-17 20:13:15
Print Post

seems to be flip flop? 10 years ago it was nearly all upstream congestion. smile

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Feb-17 00:28:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
seems to be flip flop? 10 years ago it was nearly all upstream congestion. smile

Usage patterns have changed. Usage is more asymmetrical now. VM are in the process of rolling out 4 upstream bonding too, a bunch of areas already have it in production.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 20-Feb-17 07:53:43
Print Post

There are very few upstream capacity issues on the network.

Your TBB test is horrible for 8:29am. If that is local congestion I'd expect the service to be unusable at peak times if the node is already saturated before 9am.

It's very similar all day, there isn't much variation. Just about all my usage is either Steam (I have about 8TB of games installed, just keeping up with the updates keeps it busy when I boot my main PC), Torrents, or Newsgroups on my server, all of which max out the connection happily.

I rarely if ever drop below the 70/80mbit single threaded results shown here, and my only other option would be FTTC at ~35mbit, so still better off on VM for me.

Not that I can remember the last time I downloaded something with a single thread!
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 20-Feb-17 07:56:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

Usage patterns have changed. Usage is more asymmetrical now. VM are in the process of rolling out 4 upstream bonding too, a bunch of areas already have it in production.

Don't forget as well that other than Gamer 200, and HW300/Vivid 300, everyone has strong traffic management controls on their upstream. Even Vivid 200 can go down to what, 3mbit if you try to use much upload.

My area is still 2 upstream channels frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to