User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-17 12:22:35
Print Post

Re: Virginmedia denying overutilisation- looking for advice

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
The ASA has been pointed to this thread (and others), sadly tho I think my claim will be rejected as the current guidelines VM only need 10% to hit the speeds nationwide which they achieving. However it is a numbers game, if the ASA got swamped then it might trigger some kind of review on what is acceptable.

Thanks. I appreciate you doing that. My sister can just call up and cancel (or drop the internet) if she needs to - it's only been in a few days.

It is a shame, but they have now (imho) one decent TV service, so it's not the disappointment as I expected.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-17 14:03:40
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Virgin Media are endorsing a move towards average speeds in understanding based on some recent things they've said

As most providers will use the SamKnows system which is effectively endorsed by Ofcom then where those units are located and whether they are in or out the poor performance areas is key.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nidstigator
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-17 14:37:43
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

Hey man,

Thanks for responding to my post on their forums. Hopefully some mod will pick it up soon and I will have confirmation about the issue in writing...

I added more details to my post last night. Don't really have high hopes but who knows!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-17 17:41:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They should send my sister one then! - that will help them decide

Even my area is bad, and it's about 60M away from her
(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-17 12:36:28
Print Post

[re: nidstigator] [link to this post]

Still no response from any forum mod over at the virginmedia forums...
Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Sun 12-Feb-17 14:22:11
Print Post

honestly mate they dont care about your issue, they dont help anyone, they give false promises, legally youre aloud to leave, but you have to give all the evidence you can.

virgin is the worst isp in the uk period, everyone knows it.

Edited by arronlowley (Sun 12-Feb-17 14:22:21)

(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-17 19:11:26
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

I don't know how I fell for it. Looking at their website measuring average speeds during peak times and all the other stats made me think they're good.

I guess I should have made more research before signing this 12 month contract.
Standard User arronlowley
(regular) Mon 13-Feb-17 18:06:14
Print Post

i was with them for 12 months, i only started to get issues in the last month of being with them, so when my contract was up i left.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 14-Feb-17 02:39:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

its a system easy to fool when its nationwide and they over provision speeds so the tests that are uncongested drag the average up.

Now it would be interesting if it was average for the area.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 09:59:20
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
i was with them for 12 months, i only started to get issues in the last month of being with them, so when my contract was up i left.

You were lucky friend. My sister rang me earlier to say how she is annoyed that the broadband is slow. Considering it was a fresh install as well you would have thought it would be preforming right. In reading the front page article I can see she is configured at 230 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up so in theory that's all good.

What frustrates me personally having spent a hour or so playing with it that it used to be good broadband rubbish Tivo and TV - and now it's the other way round!.

I can't fault this new Tivo - but even when I remote in and run tests the results are off putting. Last night I got 42mbps - just now 101 if I use a VM based server or 80 if I use somewhere like maidstone Custodian Data Centre,

She is going to keep it because most of the time it does what it says - in the evenings 4K from her IPTV buffers on the VM line (does not on her current BT line) so the savour is the tivo and the TV service.

In 12 months time - who knows. I guess for what you get the price is OK - but if the Broadband keeps on suffering she is going to ask for a discount until it's back to full speed - if that's not being too cheeky
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to