User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User karim31
(committed) Fri 31-Mar-17 19:29:29
Print Post

Virgin broadband 100Mb

[link to this post]

Thinking of Migrating from Plusnet to Virgin broadband + landline 100Mb any ideas on speeds expected and reliability?
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 31-Mar-17 23:54:46
Print Post

Re: Virgin broadband 100Mb

[re: karim31] [link to this post]

probably best to ask a neighbour, each area differs, some are good some are hell.

Same for all your question really
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Apr-17 01:47:16
Print Post

For me it was the worst ISP I ever used in one area, and fine at another address.

Very locational is VM as the other user mentioned.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 13:06:09
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

For me it was great in 1 place, 1 mile down the road really really bad - even when FTTC came along and I thought people would jump onto that instead, nope. So I did and never looked back
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Apr-17 20:24:47
Print Post

changed from bt 2 weeks ago, solid 106mb down and 6mb up at all times. pings slightly higher but overall cheaper and faster.

im in londonderry, n.ireland though
Standard User francisuk25
(regular) Wed 12-Apr-17 13:01:24
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

same as Buckie2 solid 100mb down and 6mb up at all times. pings slightly higher but this is down to two things at the moment everyone seems to be complaining about the Hub 3 with high pings but this is due to the Intel puma 6 chipset inside the modem however it dont affect the speed at all just ping and latency

Also Virgin Media do have a 28 day cooling off period and would advise to do different speeds AM/PM and weekends, At the moment theres no download traffic management but they do have a upload traffic management in place.but this info seems out of date but give you an idea if you was to go for the VIVD 100 https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffi...

Virgin Media 50Mb/3Mb Broadband, Tivo M+ TV package
1.1mi distance to Mill Hill Exchange, Previously FTTC with Sky LLU synced @ 66/15
http://www.cellmapper.net
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Wed 12-Apr-17 14:06:23
Print Post

[re: francisuk25] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by francisuk25:
Also Virgin Media do have a 28 day cooling off period and would advise to do different speeds AM/PM and weekends, At the moment theres no download traffic management but they do have a upload traffic management in place.but this info seems out of date but give you an idea if you was to go for the VIVD 100 https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffi...

I think it's 14 days now. It was 28 days when I cancelled after 3 weeks due to a poor service (my 5mb ADSL out performed it on YouTube). But that's Virgin for you some great areas, some really bad ones.

ISP: Zen, getting around 6mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though hanging on the carrot being dangled - 'There are projects to be initiated in 2017, however, we do not have a particular timescale at this moment.'
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - small cabinet of fail
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 12-Apr-17 16:19:31
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

Yes it's now 14 days - people need to be careful an remember that, but if you forget it - there's always 2 price rises a year, sometimes 3, to help you get out of it.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Apr-17 01:15:27
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

i read so much bad reviews on virgin and ive never had a single issue, i guess im lucky with the areas.

only thing id say is id rather have a sh2 or 2ac rather than the 3
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Apr-17 11:34:43
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
i read so much bad reviews on virgin and ive never had a single issue, i guess im lucky with the areas.

only thing id say is id rather have a sh2 or 2ac rather than the 3

You seems to be, I used to be, I had 120 4 months before anyone else in my area (so VM told me anyway) because i called up and asked for it the day it was released.

Moved just over a mile down the road, terrible area terrible internet speeds. Luckily FTTC is solid.
  Print Thread

Jump to