User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User farbrortumm
(newbie) Wed 19-Apr-17 12:50:06
Print Post

Virgin Media - Appalling Service

[link to this post]

Hi all,
Just wanted to share our absolutely appalling experience with Virgin Media broadband over the last year:

x-posted from the Virgin Media Community forum:

Previous shenanigans described at:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/W6-Area-21...

Our internet went down on the Saturday again 15th of April - It is now the 19th of April, and we still haven't got service restored. The estimated fix time has been extended 6 hours every 6 hours from Sunday. Currently it's listed at

Overall, we've had appalling service the last 6 months. The internet has either not been working or been extremely slow during peak hours (Read: <1 mbit instead of 70, as measured by multiple speedtests on wired connections).

For this, Virgin has kindly agreed to take £5 of our £42 bill this month. It's a complete joke. When I asked to transfer to the customer relations department to talk to someone regarding our monthly costs, they offered us a rebate of a whopping £2.50 a month if we decided to sign up for another 12 months.

The quite rude guy at the retentions department couldn't understand why I wasn't interested in signing up for another 12 months with Virgin, and promptly hung up on me after I told him I wasn't interested in any sort of deal that extended our contract period.

I guess we'll be voting with our feet on this one, I'm absolutely appalled by the service from the accounts and retention departments. At least the poor guys at technical support were very apologetic and understanding.

Overall, I'd stay as far away from Virgin Media as I can. The service is either not working or extremely slow (Read, less than 1mbit out of 70mbit payed for) during peak hours. Their customer support is in shambles and they can't keep promises.

Best regards,
- Tobias
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Thu 20-Apr-17 09:17:01
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media - Appalling Service

[re: farbrortumm] [link to this post]

If you have the option then leave them, it's the only way to send a message.

ISP: Zen, getting around 6mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though hanging on the carrot being dangled - 'There are projects to be initiated in 2017, however, we do not have a particular timescale at this moment.'
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - small cabinet of fail
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Apr-17 09:26:56
Print Post

I am in Area 21, but it is not that representative as not everyone is affected. I was West London, speeds dropped to around 2Mbps - 10Mbps on evenings and all streaming struggled. This was 1 year ago...

I voted with my feet and with BT have never had any slowdowns. I did give VM another chance around a month ago but still noticed slowdowns, so cancelled immediately.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Apr-17 11:01:53
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Got friends in Area 04 who are pulling their hair out with VM.

VM just keep pushing the fix date back and crediting their account.

200Mbps down to under 10Mbps during peak times, connection is absolutely useless, ping and jitter is crazy high.

Both looking to switch to a BT FTTC service.

OP - if you check the Virgin Media message board people are taking it up with these https://www.cedr.com/cisas/ and OFCOM directly.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2

Edited by wolvesmad (Thu 20-Apr-17 11:03:33)

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Apr-17 17:33:46
Print Post

Had service at around 5 different addresses in Area 26 (Northern Ireland) and touch wood, never had a single issue.

Virgin Media VIVID100

Edited by BuckleZ (Tue 25-Apr-17 17:34:04)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Apr-17 21:09:33
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
Had service at around 5 different addresses in Area 26 (Northern Ireland) and touch wood, never had a single issue.

Why is the above relevant ???

Matt

Coaxial Powered Wonder-Bytes.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Apr-17 21:27:52
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

cause all i read on here is negative stuff about Virgin, hardly anything positive.

Virgin Media VIVID100
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Tue 25-Apr-17 21:45:17
Print Post

Been with Telewest in 2004 which then became Virgin Media and then been with them off and on.

My last experience was terrible, because I got the fastest service money could buy from them and it wouldn't be able to handle a simple Skype call during peak times, and dealing with them was very unpleasant and time consuming.

Dealing with their reps in India is the worst. Eventually I got out of the contract and they took all their equipment back.

Now I am trying to get it installed again, they had to delay the install due to incompetent engineers and of course I had a call from India telling me my installation was pushed back by two weeks and there's nothing I can do about it!

:/
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Apr-17 22:06:42
Print Post

cause all i read on here is negative stuff about Virgin, hardly anything positive.

Ahh yes, my apologies, I didn't read the first post properly, I though the OP was looking for advice but actually is sharing an experience or review...

This isn't really what the forums for, but then I assume it's not limited to just being for help and advice.

Matt

Coaxial Powered Wonder-Bytes.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Apr-17 16:40:37
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

"This isn't really what the forums for" [sic]

What are these forums for?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Apr-17 22:39:20
Print Post

Everyone misses that virgin performance is different street to street in many areas.

NI however by virtue of smaller population may not have the same issues.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 9th Apr 17: 56,605/9,592 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Thu 27-Apr-17 09:33:17
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
"This isn't really what the forums for" [sic]

What are these forums for?

"User comments on the Cable products of Virgin Media"

I don't see any caveat on that restricting it to negative comments or problems like mlmclaren seems to think.

A number of regular complainers on here and on VM's own community forums seem to think that a few posters represent the majority of VM's customers when the truth is that the overwhelming majority of VM's customers are perfectly happy with their connections.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Apr-17 10:10:23
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

I do question how many get full speed on a single thread at peak times.

I have used VM in Yorkshire, Surrey and 2 addresses in London, at all 4 properties single threaded was always more than 50% less than multi threaded at peak hours.

I doubt most people run a speedtest, and in many instances if a website loads, instagram loads and netflix plays (even below 1080P) people will not complain.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 27-Apr-17 10:11:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Apr-17 11:35:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2017/02/speed-test-qu...

Scroll down to the quality metric image for cable for an idea of how things vary, and then look at FTTC results.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fishpan
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 11:41:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That image does speak volumes.

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20 - sync 72200/19999 around 450m
MyDSLWebStats: fishpan
ISP Hx: Freeserve 48k > Wanadoo 56k > Tiscali 8mbps > TalkTalk 40/10 > Plusnet 80/20 > VM 200/20 > Plusnet 80/20
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Apr-17 12:44:32
Print Post

What uses a single thread when using the WWW?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Apr-17 14:21:02
Print Post

Video stream to a page

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Thu 27-Apr-17 16:31:13
Print Post

Though of course a single UHD stream isn't going to get anywhere close to the maximum speed of a 100Mbps connection. Even if I get only 10% speed single-threaded I can still watch UHD from Netflix/Amazon/YouTube.
Even though Netflix et all suggest you need a 25Mbps connection for UHD this is actually the reason. A 25Mbps connection has a good chance of providing a good enough single thread speed for UHD. I've not yet seen a stream exceed 10Mbps (when I've bothered checking).
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Thu 27-Apr-17 16:48:19
Print Post

Would be nice if the quality metric took speed into account since a poor quality cable service could actually provide a much better/faster connection than the best that FTTC can offer.
(Maybe it actually does, but it doesn't look like it to me.)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Apr-17 17:43:50
Print Post

While all true there are enough people posting about streaming issues with Virgin Media to indicate that some areas have serious issues as reflected in our test results.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Apr-17 17:45:43
Print Post

It does not, but that is also why it is featured along with the actual speeds so you can judge yourself.

Some people care little for packet loss and jitter so long as pages load in a reasonable time, where as people using voip or gaming a lot care a lot about any packet loss or jitter.

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Apr-17 18:13:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I doubt most people run a speedtest, and in many instances if a website loads, instagram loads and netflix plays (even below 1080P) people will not complain.

That will be the same as the vast majority of people using any isp... So long as it works, that is all that matters....
Speed tests are Ok when you have problems. Rest of the time it's just a pointless exercise.

As we all know you see far more complaints, than happy posts. So I never get why people get on their high horse when a reply to a complaint is... It's OK for me.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Apr-17 18:53:16
Print Post

The Ofcom tests confirm this too.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Apr-17 15:31:11
Print Post

When you state "to a page" would this be a video on a Facebook page?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Apr-17 17:03:40
Print Post

Page as in a web page, or just as easily be a page within an app on a mobile device.

Facebook when you go to facebook.com is just another web page

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to