User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 20-Apr-17 20:41:22
Print Post

New connection issues

[link to this post]

Virgin Media's checker shows that my building, consisting of nine flats, has Virgin Media. Some residents placed their order but it turns out the building isn't even wired and VM engineers have begun doing work on the street, but they are lazy and say they're going to be running a single cable for every flat, which would look absolutely ghastly! Furthermore I suspect there is already internal wiring in place, I just don't know how I can test it...

Here's a photo of what it looks like, there's a thick BT cable with CAT5 cabling which I presume is for the BT Master Sockets, and then there are the thick coaxial cables that aren't connected to anything - I suspect this could be used for Virgin Media. There's also a single coaxial cable in another part of the closet, next to the BT cable (which has it's own grey duct/tube) that I suspect is there specifically for VM to run their single cable into the property.

How would I be able to convince the VM engineers (who are coming back again after one of the flats said they don't want any drilling done and said they're cancelling their order as an attempt to pursuade VM to use internal cabling) to test these coaxial cables to see if they go into any of the flats?

This is what my socketing looks like. I tried and found out that the two aerial ones on the bottom left work (one is TV and the other one "Radio" which picks up less channels), then there are two Satellite sockets, the one on the left works and picks up satellite channels but the one on the right doesn't work AND I suspect this might actually go downstairs in the first photo above.

Then there's the weird splitter and I don't know where all this cabling goes...

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your reply!

TL:DR I need some advice with the weird wiring, it's a new build/newly rebuilt old building with fresh internal wiring etc.

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Apr-17 21:27:04
Print Post

Re: New connection issues

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Saltank:
TL:DR I need some advice with the weird wiring, it's a new build/newly rebuilt old building with fresh internal wiring etc.

Best advice would be to contact builder to find out. smile

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 20-Apr-17 22:05:18
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:
In reply to a post by Saltank:

Best advice would be to contact builder to find out. smile

Looks like one of the neighbours made attempts but couldn't find a way to contact them. I might enquire... Supposedly a dodgy situation because nobody knows anything about what's been done!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Saltank
(committed) Wed 26-Apr-17 22:49:50
Print Post

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

Supposedly they visited today, tried to run their cable through the existing tubing and the cable snapped along with the rope that they were pulling it through.

I think they've given up. Said the tubing is ruptured (incidentally this is the one that carries the BT cabling, too, I wonder when that will be ruined?)

Going to start finding out if someone with a camera can investigate to see where it's ruptured and perhaps it would be possible to replace.
  Print Thread

Jump to