User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mr_m_cox
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 14:53:39
Print Post

Poor Service from VM, advice on how to proceed please

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Over the past 2 1/2 years I have had awful service from VM. Its not really a story to dig into too deeply, we would be here all day but to cut it short...

They sold me 100Mb B'Band and provided 4Mb with the promise of a fix coming soon. Some 2 1/2 years later I have no fix, still running on 4MB and am surrounded by the empty shells of many VM promises that they have made and broken.

lat time I was told a fix would happen in March 2017, at the time around 4 months away. March came and went and it turns out that actually I am not looking at Dec 2017, yet again it has been pushed back.

VM and i agree on the problem (over utilisation of the local network) and agree its their fault and that they have not honoured the fix dates. However they believe that some money off each month was enough compensation. I firmly believe that this covers the loss of connection speed only, not the time, calls, emails, promises etc that I have had to go through.

I have been through the exec team and now have a stalemate situation where I have to go to CISAS if I want to continue.

Basically, what are your thoughts? Worth the fight?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Apr-17 15:48:35
Print Post

Re: Poor Service from VM, advice on how to proceed please

[re: mr_m_cox] [link to this post]

Depends on what you want from outcome...

If you have TV and that has been working too, then compensation for poor broadband will be much smaller, since they are delivering part of the service.

No other broadband options for you? Since if they are only delivering 4 Mbps, even ADSL2+ at 10 Mbps would give you a better experience

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mr_m_cox
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 15:49:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, should have added, I have now moved to Sky with my VM connection being closed 1st May.

We had no other services.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_m_cox
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 15:51:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And what i want as an outcome?

A relatively small but in my eyes meaningful financial compensation package from VM for the disruption, broken promises and general poor service over an extended amount of time.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Apr-17 17:47:07
Print Post

In which case given the move, its chase via the ADR and given it was so bad you have moved away adds weight to your argument, rather than being someone 'moaning' in the hope of a reduced price.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User arronlowley
(member) Thu 27-Apr-17 23:45:41
Print Post

why have you let them do it for 2 1/2 years? not been funny but thats a stupid thing to do, im pretty sure you wont be in contract unless you signed another and you will be free to leave.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Apr-17 09:01:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by mr_m_cox:
And what i want as an outcome?

A relatively small but in my eyes meaningful financial compensation package from VM for the disruption, broken promises and general poor service over an extended amount of time.
Compensation for these kinds of cases is small at best, and given they have reduced your price long term this could be considered compensation. The fact you remained a customer for 2.5 years does not help your case massively, since that is outside of any standard contract length, in effect you were free to leave but chose to stay.

Did you go for Sky Fibre? If so I am very confident you will have none of these slowdowns.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Apr-17 09:31:57
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

Whilst it is often said colloquially that someone who has served their minimum contract period is "out of contract", legally that is not the case. The contract remains in place until terminated; it's just that the minimum contract period is over and no excess termination charges will apply if it is ended at the customer's request.

Damages for breach of contract can be claimed for the entire period of breach, whether in or out of the minimum contract period.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Apr-17 21:38:21
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
Damages for breach of contract can be claimed for the entire period of breach, whether in or out of the minimum contract period.

But given the OP took the offer of reduced monthly cost. Would not this be considered compensation. The fact that despite being passed the min contact period may not play a part, but it does not look good that despite poor service the OP stayed with them and took the reduced monthly cost. (May be mitigating circumstances such as no other fibre services available)
If a regulator looks at that, they may feel that the OP has already been compensated.

OP really needs to decide just what they are looking for if they are going to take it further. As I'm sure that will come up at some point.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
  Print Thread

Jump to