User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derby13
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 18:42:40
Print Post

Abandoned car preventing installation

[link to this post]

Hi

Bit of an odd question, but I'm hoping someone will know if anyone know if VM have a policy on getting abandoned cars moved that are preventing them from carrying out work. Basically I was due to be cabled up as a new customer 5 weeks ago, but there's a car parked on top of their underground access point. It's not moved for months and I've no idea who the owner is.

Has anyone ever experienced such a situation? If so, are VM likely to do anything?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 19:19:22
Print Post

Re: Abandoned car preventing installation

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

Virgin nothing...

https://www.gov.uk/report-abandoned-vehicle will lookup relevant council and give you link to site and the council handles abandoned cars.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User derby13
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 19:22:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Virgin nothing...

https://www.gov.uk/report-abandoned-vehicle will lookup relevant council and give you link to site and the council handles abandoned cars.

Sadly the council told me they're not going to do anything as the vehicle in question has a SORN. Even though it has no MOT and flat tyres.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Thu 04-May-17 19:33:48
Print Post

A SORN is only :

•If you intend to keep the vehicle in question on a driveway, in a garage, or on private land for a period of time. It cannot be parked on any kind of public road

If it's blocking access then the SORN is not valid
Standard User derby13
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 19:48:09
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
If it's blocking access then the SORN is not valid

OK that's good to know. I'll have a word with the council about that.

I've not been able to get an answer out of VM at all. Customer services passed me to sales as my account isn't active yet. Sales passed me back to customer services because I've already signed up. Back to sales again, back to customer service again, before someone finally said they'd have to speak with a colleague in a department that's not open until tomorrow.

I'll see what the council say about the blocking access issue. It would be in VM's interest to try and shift the car as both me and a neighbour both have an order in progress and we're both affected in the same way. So they've already lost £100+ of income and counting.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-May-17 21:07:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by derby13:
there's a car parked on top of their underground access point. It's not moved for months and I've no idea who the owner is.

Has anyone ever experienced such a situation? If so, are VM likely to do anything?

Thanks

Is this a public road? Or somewhere else ( the detail to a good reply is in the info given) I would doubt that VM would have such access on private land, unless it belongs to something in relation to a large building.

You could always just move it a bit yourself when no one is round so they can get access.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 04-May-17 21:35:35
Print Post

if its on a public road,
try department for transport:
sorn is statutory off road notification

https://forms.dft.gov.uk/report-an-untaxed-vehicle/

"Please only use this form to report a vehicle that appears to be untaxed and used/kept on the public road."
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-May-17 21:38:34
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

4x4 and a tow rope would easily move it if the council aren't willing to do anything about it.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 22:09:00
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

Caution would have to be advised on that approach, example, some verges are private land and people may not always be aware and the owner seeing someone trying to move car on what they know is their private land may call police and would not want to be involved in that

In an ideal world a knock all nearby neighbours doors with a polite ask for whose car it is and can they shift car to allow access would be the course.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-May-17 08:04:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Caution would have to be advised on that approach,

Agree. But in reality Virgin should be acting here. As the car is blocking access to their property.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to