User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derby13
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 18:42:40
Print Post

Abandoned car preventing installation

[link to this post]

Hi

Bit of an odd question, but I'm hoping someone will know if anyone know if VM have a policy on getting abandoned cars moved that are preventing them from carrying out work. Basically I was due to be cabled up as a new customer 5 weeks ago, but there's a car parked on top of their underground access point. It's not moved for months and I've no idea who the owner is.

Has anyone ever experienced such a situation? If so, are VM likely to do anything?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 19:19:22
Print Post

Re: Abandoned car preventing installation

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

Virgin nothing...

https://www.gov.uk/report-abandoned-vehicle will lookup relevant council and give you link to site and the council handles abandoned cars.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User derby13
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 19:22:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Virgin nothing...

https://www.gov.uk/report-abandoned-vehicle will lookup relevant council and give you link to site and the council handles abandoned cars.

Sadly the council told me they're not going to do anything as the vehicle in question has a SORN. Even though it has no MOT and flat tyres.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Thu 04-May-17 19:33:48
Print Post

A SORN is only :

•If you intend to keep the vehicle in question on a driveway, in a garage, or on private land for a period of time. It cannot be parked on any kind of public road

If it's blocking access then the SORN is not valid
Standard User derby13
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 19:48:09
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
If it's blocking access then the SORN is not valid

OK that's good to know. I'll have a word with the council about that.

I've not been able to get an answer out of VM at all. Customer services passed me to sales as my account isn't active yet. Sales passed me back to customer services because I've already signed up. Back to sales again, back to customer service again, before someone finally said they'd have to speak with a colleague in a department that's not open until tomorrow.

I'll see what the council say about the blocking access issue. It would be in VM's interest to try and shift the car as both me and a neighbour both have an order in progress and we're both affected in the same way. So they've already lost £100+ of income and counting.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-May-17 21:07:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by derby13:
there's a car parked on top of their underground access point. It's not moved for months and I've no idea who the owner is.

Has anyone ever experienced such a situation? If so, are VM likely to do anything?

Thanks

Is this a public road? Or somewhere else ( the detail to a good reply is in the info given) I would doubt that VM would have such access on private land, unless it belongs to something in relation to a large building.

You could always just move it a bit yourself when no one is round so they can get access.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 04-May-17 21:35:35
Print Post

if its on a public road,
try department for transport:
sorn is statutory off road notification

https://forms.dft.gov.uk/report-an-untaxed-vehicle/

"Please only use this form to report a vehicle that appears to be untaxed and used/kept on the public road."
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-May-17 21:38:34
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

4x4 and a tow rope would easily move it if the council aren't willing to do anything about it.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 22:09:00
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

Caution would have to be advised on that approach, example, some verges are private land and people may not always be aware and the owner seeing someone trying to move car on what they know is their private land may call police and would not want to be involved in that

In an ideal world a knock all nearby neighbours doors with a polite ask for whose car it is and can they shift car to allow access would be the course.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-May-17 08:04:58
Print Post

Caution would have to be advised on that approach,

Agree. But in reality Virgin should be acting here. As the car is blocking access to their property.

To Infinity
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 05-May-17 10:47:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by JohnR:
Caution would have to be advised on that approach,

Agree. But in reality Virgin should be acting here. As the car is blocking access to their property.

Should they? They have no powers to do anything about it, they can't even obtain the drivers details from the DVLA as they have no rights to that data.

At best they could launch a private civil claim against the driver for their losses in profit due to not being able to sign up OP as a customer. The whole process would be really expensive for them, and if the car owner did not have assets to pay costs would be a massive loss leader for them.

It's not Virgin's fault.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-May-17 10:53:29
Print Post

Presuming Virgin has a way-leave of some sort, for access to its equipment, I suggest that Virgin could legitimately move the vehicle on that basis.

--------------

With there being a SORN, then apparently the owner/ Registered Keeper can be contacted and so informed.

---------------

Generally the Local Authority will be able to identify whether the verges are part of the publicly-adopted roads.

----------------

SORN -

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads...
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-May-17 15:35:59
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Presuming Virgin has a way-leave of some sort, for access to its equipment, I suggest that Virgin could legitimately move the vehicle on that basis.
And I believe that you would be wrong. I live on a gated development in central London where we collectively own the freehold. We have two abandoned cars in our car park. We cannot legally move them and are waiting for Lambeth, our local authority to do so. It's been a long wait, nine months to date.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-May-17 16:01:08
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I appreciate your problem with the cars - this may be because they are not obstructing direct access to anything of consequence; but in the case of the Virgin chamber, that car is clearly obstructing access to another "person's" property, similarly to if it had been abandoned directly obstructing a doorway etc.

So the legal situation could be distinctly different - and is clearly worth investigating as a possible way of breaking the impasse.

----

From your description of your local situation, I'm doubtful if Lambeth Council will move them, as by your description, the cars are NOT on Lambeth Council property/ground.

Similar to farmers' problems with fly-tipping.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-May-17 17:47:02
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
Should they? They have no powers to do anything about it, they can't even obtain the drivers details from the DVLA as they have no rights to that data.

It's not Virgin's fault.

I would imagine that any utility has the right to get a vehicle moved that is blocking access to their property....
Imagine a car blocking access to a water hydrant/gas cut off, when there is a leak. Will they simply do nothing or get it moved? (extreme I know, but it's the same point)

Also anyone can find out the registered keeper.
I would guess that the likes of Virgin could get it in no time if it is causing them a problem.

To Infinity
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-May-17 17:50:37
Print Post

In the case of gas/water/electric with threats to life dangers then different criteria can apply

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-May-17 18:08:09
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Incorrect. The two abandoned cars are in spaces owned by residents and thus preventing the owners from parking their cars. This makes no difference whatsoever. We are legally not allowed to move the vehicles which has to be done via the local authority.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-May-17 18:49:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
Incorrect. The two abandoned cars are in spaces owned by residents and thus preventing the owners from parking their cars. This makes no difference whatsoever. We are legally not allowed to move the vehicles which has to be done via the local authority.

Apply for V5. Do as they wish.

Of course they could be very naughty and tow them out and leave them on the road.... Clearly the real owner is not going to complain wink

But one has to wonder given it's a private gated community. Why are there no resident only parking signs and the usual mega charge for failure to comply smile

To Infinity
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-May-17 19:42:14
Print Post

Why are there no resident only parking signs
There are. That doesn't prevent someone entering the development and leaving a vehicle. In one case we know the dumper was a former tenant in one of the properties, the other we don't have a clue as to who the dumper might have been or whether they entered the site legitimately and chose not to leave or whether they tail-gated a resident to enter the site.

usual mega charge for failure to comply
Not a hope in hell of getting any recovery, all the more so when the vehicle is abandoned and the owner unknown. Check out the law as it stands today and you will find that property owners have very little redress against trespassers.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-May-17 20:33:38
Print Post

Not a hope in hell of getting any recovery, all the more so when the vehicle is abandoned and the owner unknown. Check out the law as it stands today and you will find that property owners have very little redress against trespassers.

Check out previous post for getting owners details. Then instigate legal recovery to cover the cost of the blocked parking.

To Infinity
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-May-17 22:30:29
Print Post

If it was my parking space I would get the owners details from DVLA and issue an invoice for parking in my space or storage fee £50.00 per day , if no response then i would sue them in the small claims court , if that failed and i had the money to spare i would escalate to high court enforcement
Or the car would mysteriously vanish to a scrap yard, and i would know nothing about it

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 05-May-17 22:31:34)

Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Sat 06-May-17 14:16:09
Print Post

After a couple of weeks of getting nowhere "legally" I would be out there with a tow rope to drag it just far enough to be out of the way, on a suitably dark night.

I'd take photos of it's position and condition first ofc.

Alternatively, tell the police you saw kids trying to set fire to it and are concerned about safety.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612, Billion 7800N; 79987/19999 Kbps. Online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User derby13
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 19:35:56
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

Looks like the road is privately owned by a housing association, which I guess complicates things. Fortunately Virgin have agreed to try and get it moved. By which they mean they will talk to the land owners.
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-May-17 21:45:04
Print Post

Out of interest - what does this mean - Macs since 1979 ?

Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-May-17 09:13:34
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

But move it where? Maybe leave it on a public road?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 09:27:02
Print Post

[re: Yves] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yves:
But move it where? Maybe leave it on a public road?

I think wolves meant the OP move the vehicle just a few metres to allow access to VM manhole.

------------------------------------------
Fluidone FTTPoD 330/30...well almost smile
Powered by Netgear R9000 X10
------------------------------------------

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 10-May-17 09:28:26)

Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Wed 10-May-17 11:33:53
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Squirrel:

Apple computers, but if I put Apples since 1979 it may look like I eat only apples.... wink

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612, Billion 7800N; 79987/19999 Kbps. Online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-May-17 18:26:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by radiomarko:
In reply to a post by Squirrel:

Apple computers, but if I put Apples since 1979 it may look like I eat only apples.... wink

OK thanks for the clarification. I did wonder because the Apple Macintosh didn't appear until 1984 although development of it did start in about 1979. Thought for a minute you might have been one of the developers smile

Standard User Discus
(experienced) Thu 06-Jul-17 20:57:54
Print Post

Try https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/FreeCheck to see if it is taxed amd MOT'd and then you can go from there.

http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Thu 06-Jul-17 23:37:35
Print Post

Hello, If a vehicle is sorned it CANNOT be any where other than on private property (for the pedants, yes - it can be driven to or from an arranged MOT test) . If this vehicle is on a place that is NOT private, then I suggest you (or Virgin) get back onto the local council or the DVLA - and demand its removal as it is unlicenced, and is subject to local council regulation and police powers - S:165, where a vehicle seen in violation of any number of road contraventions, can be seized: this is assuming that the vehicle is on the public highway which - unfortunately - you didn't say was or wasn't the case. Cheers, Les.
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Thu 06-Jul-17 23:43:06
Print Post

The clue is in "gated development". That is not a public road so, accordingly, the council have no right or duty to interfere. It's down to you, or your complex management body, to arrange its removal, I'm afraid. The DVLA WILL provide keeper details - for a fee - if you can provide a legitimate reason for wanting that information. I suggest that you do have good reason.

Edited by lelboy (Thu 06-Jul-17 23:52:00)

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Thu 06-Jul-17 23:47:52
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Indeed, Tommy. The DVLA WILL - for a fee - provide keeper information if you can satisfy them that there is a legitimate reason for wanting to know: I suggest that in this case, there is reason enough - as other property owners are deprived of the faciilty to enjoy parking, in an area where they are leaseholders, with parking rights.

Edited by lelboy (Thu 06-Jul-17 23:54:15)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jul-17 11:10:00
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

To be pedantic one can also drive the car to a prearranged garage for fixing.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Fri 07-Jul-17 11:54:53
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

If as the OP says the car is under a SORN then surely when that SORN was issued the owner had to state where the car was parked [Private road, garage etc].
If it is parked on a private road without an MOT [or anywhere] for that matter then surely the police should be informed.?
There is one thing that is puzzling me though , if the OP knows that the car has no MOT , he/she must know who the owner is because no MOT disc is displayed these days.?

Edited by ironman12345 (Fri 07-Jul-17 12:05:33)

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Fri 07-Jul-17 14:36:05
Print Post

Re: Abandoned car preventing installation *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Edited by lelboy (Fri 07-Jul-17 21:12:57)

Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Fri 07-Jul-17 16:44:35
Print Post

It is wrong, but to be fair "pre-arranged" is the exact wording the DVLA use. The wording used in the Motor Vehicle Testing Regulations is "by previous arrangement", which seems far more satisfactory. smile

eclipse internet
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Fri 07-Jul-17 20:09:28
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

Hmm, the MVT regulations have failed - grammatically!
Previous means means one or more (whatever) "before" - that's not the case with making an arrangement for an MOT test: you make a booking for an MOT test by prior arrangement i.e. an arrangement made before the date of the test. Previous, in this context, means nothing at all.
As I said, I am an MOT examiner, and it never ceases to amaze me that there are so many spelling and grammatical errors in DVSA publications. I suspect that they don't have proof readers before things are put in print (online) - or if they have, then they themselves are not literate.
Because articles/instructions/information may come from official sources doesn't, by definition, make them correct.
Thanks for making a comment in reply - the real issue being that putting "pre" before so many words is a latter-day affectation: as Monty Python might have said, "he's a very silly boy!"
Cheers, Les.
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Fri 07-Jul-17 20:13:47
Print Post

Furthering the pedantry, you should have said "after failing an MOT test": you can't just drive a car to a pre-arranged, or not, garage to have repairs done - it has to have failed an MOT test FIRST.
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Fri 07-Jul-17 20:24:50
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

You don't declare exactly where a vehicle might be parked - just that it is "off road".
To check if there is a valid MOT test you just enter the information - at https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/, - about the vehicle and voila....
No MOT disc was ever displayed on any car/motorcycle.
Police have no interest/jurisdiction about vehicles on "private" roads.
Hope this clarifies things? Cheers, les.
(regular) Fri 07-Jul-17 20:37:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by lelboy:
You don't declare exactly where a vehicle might be parked - just that it is "off road".
To check if there is a valid MOT test you just enter the information - at https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/, - about the vehicle and voila....
No MOT disc was ever displayed on any car/motorcycle.
Police have no interest/jurisdiction about vehicles on "private" roads.
Hope this clarifies things? Cheers, les.

I got confused when I posted , I should have said that no tax disc is displayed.
As for the "Private Road" is the OP sure that is private.?
If it is in fact a Public Road then it is not parked legally.
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Fri 07-Jul-17 21:05:47
Print Post

Ha, I get confused too but, like JR Hartley's book on fishing, "I am rather old"!
Just going back to the OP's problem with the car:
If it's on a private road - with or without a SORN - then it's down to the leaseholders to get rid of it, if it is abandoned - the local council OR police have no interest in it at all; why should they, as it's not on a public road.
If it's on the public road, and without tax or MOT, the police can remove it (S:165), and so can the council, under the public amenities regulations..
It seems to me that if the OP had made it exactly clear "where it was", and if they did or didn't know who the owner/keeper was, then the problem could have been easily resolved.
As is often the case, incomplete info leads us nowhere. Thanks for the reply. Cheers, Les.

Edited by lelboy (Sat 08-Jul-17 00:09:34)

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Jul-17 22:19:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by ironman12345:
I got confused when I posted , I should have said that no tax disc is displayed.
As for the "Private Road" is the OP sure that is private.?
If it is in fact a Public Road then it is not parked legally.

And how many years is it since you had to display a road fund disk??? April 2014 I think....

Even a private road, can mean that it still has to be taxed, Insured as well as having a valid mot.

It all seems to depend if the area is "not maintainable at public expense"

To Infinity
(regular) Fri 07-Jul-17 23:08:05
Print Post

Ha, I get confused too but, like JR Hartley's book on fishing, "I am rather old"!
Just going back to the OP's problem with the car:
If it's on a private road - with or without a SORN - then it's down to the leasholders to get rid of it, if it is abandoned - the local council OR police have no interest in it at all; why should they, as it's not on a public road.
If it's on the public road, and without tax or MOT, the police can remove it (S:165), and so can the council, under the public amenities regulations..
It seems to me that if the OP had made it exactly clear "where it was", and if they did or didn't know who the owner/keeper was, then the problem could have been easily resolved.
As is often the case, incomplete info leads us nowhere. Thanks for the reply. Cheers, Les.

So you are rather old. ? . I am 80 years old.
Or are you just pointing out that JR Hartley wrote a book "I am rather old".?
Do you actually enjoy what you write . ?.
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sat 08-Jul-17 00:07:23
Print Post

Hmm, yes I do enjoy what I write - and have done for the years I've been using TBB
I'm 66 - I was referring to JR Hartley, when he was looking for the book he wrote years before: the book was "rather old" not JR Hartley (although he seemed to be). The reference would mean nothing to you if you don't remember the TV advertisement from years ago...
Not to sure what the point of your post is - are you sympathising with me for being old, or are you just a geriatric troll? B*ggered if I know....
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sat 08-Jul-17 00:15:56
Print Post

Hi John, Yes, it's been a few years since you had to display a "tax disc".
That's why I pointed out that any OP really needs to give us as much information as possible: without all the facts, we can only speculate...
As the OP said "it's a gated" community, I assume THEY (the leaseholders association) maintain it, and not the local council?
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jul-17 10:23:38
Print Post

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sat 08-Jul-17 14:58:18
Print Post

Oh dear... My first "jibe" at "pedants" was to pre-empt any comments about going for an MOT test etc. Nowt to do with anyone in particular - just giving information: It really needed no further comment - especially regarding "an arranged garage" - whatever that may be. I offer a cogent answer to the original poster, and you respond - why, I know not.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 08-Jul-17 18:09:41
Print Post

I offer a cogent answer to the original poster, and you respond - why, I know not.
Because its a forum
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sat 08-Jul-17 19:38:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Given your provocative comments, to all and sundry - over the years I've been using TBB - I'll just ignore your response. Shame you never had anything constructive to offer the OP - because, after all, it IS a forum!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 08-Jul-17 19:54:49
Print Post

You mean like this?
or are you just a geriatric troll? B*ggered if I know....
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sat 08-Jul-17 21:09:52
Print Post

I, and many others, have crossed swords with you before - you can't help being argumentative: I was advised many years ago to ignore you...
No idea what the point of you posting the sentence that you did is - if you'd bothered to see what it was a reply to, then you may have "got" it: as it is, you're just being "plain ole argumentative" YOU!
Standard User leexgx
(committed) Sun 09-Jul-17 03:29:18
Print Post

why has this changed into name calling and grammar correctors

simple solution was just to manually move the car that is blocking access (tow rope and drag it out of the way) its not your problem who owns it its in the way just drag it out of the way

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Jul-17 08:35:52
Print Post

That's why I pointed out that any OP really needs to give us as much information as possible: without all the facts, we can only speculate...
As the OP said "it's a gated" community, I assume THEY (the leaseholders association) maintain it, and not the local council?

Given it's over a month since this thread was started, and most points have been covered. We can but take it that he OP & Virgin have resolved the issue smile

Still nothing changes here with threads descending into bickering.... That has nothing to do with the original topic.

To Infinity
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Jul-17 09:56:06
Print Post

Two posts removed due to language breaking the rules.

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Mon 10-Jul-17 14:30:17
Print Post

Indeed. My original reply quite comprehensively - I think - covered all aspects of the OPs problem: that others - including the ubiquitous "BatBoy" - felt the need to comment about my answer is regrettable, seeing as they offered nothing in response to the OPs question.
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Jul-17 14:36:26
Print Post

"you can't just drive a car to a pre-arranged, or not, garage to have repairs done - it has to have failed an MOT test FIRST. "

Wrong AGAIN. You CAN drive a car to a garage for repairs even if it hasn't failed an MOT.

All I'm doing is letting others know what they can do by correcting misinformation.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Jul-17 15:00:44
Print Post

Used to surface roads for the council in my youth .....

if we ever got a vehicle blocking our work we had something similar to thiese Clip on around the wheel, jack up, push out of the way ...

I bet you could find/borrow/rent something similar ?

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Mon 10-Jul-17 15:41:21
Print Post

Not so!
Show the regulation that covers that, please.
The only exception for driving without an MOT test is:
a) To an arranged test
b) From an arranged test
c) To a place of repair AFTER failing a test
d) Back for a retest
"Wrong AGAIN. You CAN drive a car to a garage for repairs even if it hasn't failed an MOT."
What on earth are you saying?
Of course you can drive a car to a garage without it having failed an MOT test as, by definition, it would have to be tested or not!
Repeating.. You can only drive an UNTESTED vehicle to a garage if it has failed its test, and is being taken to the garage for remedial work. Why are you going on, when it's clear you're wrong?

"If your vehicle doesn't have an MOT you can drive it to or from a pre-arranged MOT or to or from a pre-arranged appointment to have defects remedied that were discovered on a previous test. You can drive your vehicle on a road without road tax in these circumstances.

The law makes no mention as to how far you can go but we would suggest that the distance is kept as short as possible because even though you are exempt from having a valid MOT certificate in the circumstances described above, if you are stopped by the police you could still be prosecuted for any defective parts on your vehicle e.g. exhaust, brakes and tyres etc. Additionally:

if you call in at shops etc. on your way to the MOT, it may be held that you are using the vehicle for other purposes and the above exemption won't apply;
the further you travel the more likelihood there is of your vehicle triggering an ANPR camera and you being stopped."

Source: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q600.htm
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Jul-17 10:05:56
Print Post

You stated " it has to have failed an MOT test FIRST. "

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Tue 11-Jul-17 11:43:33
Print Post

You have to let this go.....IF IT IS UNTESTED, IT HAS TO HAVE FAILED AN MOT TEST - BEFORE IT CAN BE DRIVEN TO A GARAGE! This has little to do with the OPs question - which I answered clearly. You however are going on and on, and I don't have a clue why. What are you getting out of it? Andrew has already deleted one of you comments AND one of mine. Please grow up and let the matter rest.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 11-Jul-17 12:52:57
Print Post

What if the MOT has run out?
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Tue 11-Jul-17 13:37:01
Print Post

Why are you asking?
To clarify - for the final time - a vehicle that is NOT MOT tested cannot be driven anywhere other than:
a) To a garage for a "booked" MOT test
b) To return from that test
c) To go to a garage (booked) to have the failures rectified
d) To return to the original MOT station for retest (or a booked MOT test at another garage if they chose to)

No other time AT all, so posing pointless questions is just that - "pointless"!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 11-Jul-17 13:48:03
Print Post

Why are you asking?
To clarify - for the final time - a vehicle that is NOT MOT tested cannot be driven anywhere other than:
a) To a garage for a "booked" MOT test
So a SORNed vehicle that has not failed an MOT test can legally be driven to a pre-arranged MOT testing station
Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Tue 11-Jul-17 15:00:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
So a SORNed vehicle that has not failed an MOT test can legally be driven to a pre-arranged MOT testing station

Yes - but if you think it will need some work to make it fit to pass the test, you can't legally drive it to a repairer until you have booked a test, (legally) driven to and from the test station where it has failed the test then made an appointment with the repairer to do the work.

Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994, Schedule 2, Paragraph 22.

Edited by GonePostal (Tue 11-Jul-17 15:05:41)

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jul-17 18:08:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

Yes,
But any vehicle is also subject to other regulations on road safety. So if the police deemed it unsafe. They could impound it.

To Infinity
Standard User derby13
(learned) Tue 11-Jul-17 19:00:07
Print Post

Yikes, this thread has been rather busy since I last visited!

Anyway, to update, after a few weeks Virgin took care of moving it out of the way.

The council wouldn't touch it as it had a SORN in place, and the piece of land that it occupied wasn't public.

So it delayed things by a couple of months but the installation went ahead in the end. It was a right pain of a situation but it was worth it to upgrade from my horrible 10Mbps downstream / 0.75 Mbps upstream ADSL.

Edited by derby13 (Tue 11-Jul-17 19:01:18)

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jul-17 19:20:27
Print Post

Glad you got sorted....

Hope the owner gets a nice big bill for dumping their car where it should not h.ave been

To Infinity
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Tue 11-Jul-17 19:47:49
Print Post

Oh dear, BatBoy - why are you keeping on?
To clarify for the absolute last time... YES, you could take a vehicle to a garage, if it had, say 2 months MOT test left on it and you wanted to get a fresh one because, perhaps, you wished to sell it on.
The pivotal point is that you must be on your way to a booked MOT test - irrespective of the status of your vehicle - whether it be SORNed or not/taxed or not/tested or not/or still has a little of a current test valid on it.
I can't believe you don't understand - so I can only conclude that you're being your normal truculent self, just as I've seen you over the years that I've been a TBB member!
Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Tue 11-Jul-17 20:00:06
Print Post

Think you could do with following your own advice before your blood pressure gets the better of you.

"You have to let this go.....IF IT IS UNTESTED, IT HAS TO HAVE FAILED AN MOT TEST - BEFORE IT CAN BE DRIVEN TO A GARAGE! This has little to do with the OPs question - which I answered clearly. You however are going on and on, and I don't have a clue why. What are you getting out of it? Andrew has already deleted one of you comments AND one of mine. Please grow up and let the matter rest."
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Tue 11-Jul-17 20:33:27
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

My blood pressure's fine - despite my age. As you've been on TBB for a while, I assume you'd have experience of the people I've responded to - particularly BatBoy? It's difficult to "fail to respond" to people like these - especially when they contribute so little. I daresay you're right, inasmuch as there is no NEED to reply, but even if it rankles to have to deal with these "people" I do so - lest I kick the cat, or slit my throat out of frustration at their lack of grasp. Thank you, anyway, for your concern regarding my health... Cheers, Les.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jul-17 21:10:55
Print Post

you can't be serious...

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
"IF IT IS UNTESTED, IT HAS TO HAVE FAILED AN MOT TEST - BEFORE IT CAN BE DRIVEN TO A GARAGE!

Mmm. I can think of a couple of times a vehicle is "Untested", but has not "Failed a MOT"......

1. it's just reached it's 1st MOT....
2. it has been SORN and the MOT has expired. In BOTH cases to use the car on the road would be a offence.. So the only way is to drive to a pre-booked MOT.

You have to let this go.....

OP has already said the issue is sorted smile

To Infinity
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Jul-17 10:49:05
Print Post

Closed

Drawing a line under this

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to