User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derby13
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 18:42:40
Print Post

Abandoned car preventing installation

[link to this post]

Hi

Bit of an odd question, but I'm hoping someone will know if anyone know if VM have a policy on getting abandoned cars moved that are preventing them from carrying out work. Basically I was due to be cabled up as a new customer 5 weeks ago, but there's a car parked on top of their underground access point. It's not moved for months and I've no idea who the owner is.

Has anyone ever experienced such a situation? If so, are VM likely to do anything?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 19:19:22
Print Post

Re: Abandoned car preventing installation

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

Virgin nothing...

https://www.gov.uk/report-abandoned-vehicle will lookup relevant council and give you link to site and the council handles abandoned cars.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User derby13
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 19:22:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Virgin nothing...

https://www.gov.uk/report-abandoned-vehicle will lookup relevant council and give you link to site and the council handles abandoned cars.

Sadly the council told me they're not going to do anything as the vehicle in question has a SORN. Even though it has no MOT and flat tyres.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Thu 04-May-17 19:33:48
Print Post

A SORN is only :

•If you intend to keep the vehicle in question on a driveway, in a garage, or on private land for a period of time. It cannot be parked on any kind of public road

If it's blocking access then the SORN is not valid
Standard User derby13
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 19:48:09
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
If it's blocking access then the SORN is not valid

OK that's good to know. I'll have a word with the council about that.

I've not been able to get an answer out of VM at all. Customer services passed me to sales as my account isn't active yet. Sales passed me back to customer services because I've already signed up. Back to sales again, back to customer service again, before someone finally said they'd have to speak with a colleague in a department that's not open until tomorrow.

I'll see what the council say about the blocking access issue. It would be in VM's interest to try and shift the car as both me and a neighbour both have an order in progress and we're both affected in the same way. So they've already lost £100+ of income and counting.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-May-17 21:07:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by derby13:
there's a car parked on top of their underground access point. It's not moved for months and I've no idea who the owner is.

Has anyone ever experienced such a situation? If so, are VM likely to do anything?

Thanks

Is this a public road? Or somewhere else ( the detail to a good reply is in the info given) I would doubt that VM would have such access on private land, unless it belongs to something in relation to a large building.

You could always just move it a bit yourself when no one is round so they can get access.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 04-May-17 21:35:35
Print Post

if its on a public road,
try department for transport:
sorn is statutory off road notification

https://forms.dft.gov.uk/report-an-untaxed-vehicle/

"Please only use this form to report a vehicle that appears to be untaxed and used/kept on the public road."
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-May-17 21:38:34
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

4x4 and a tow rope would easily move it if the council aren't willing to do anything about it.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 22:09:00
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

Caution would have to be advised on that approach, example, some verges are private land and people may not always be aware and the owner seeing someone trying to move car on what they know is their private land may call police and would not want to be involved in that

In an ideal world a knock all nearby neighbours doors with a polite ask for whose car it is and can they shift car to allow access would be the course.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-May-17 08:04:58
Print Post

Caution would have to be advised on that approach,

Agree. But in reality Virgin should be acting here. As the car is blocking access to their property.

To Infinity
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 05-May-17 10:47:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by JohnR:
Caution would have to be advised on that approach,

Agree. But in reality Virgin should be acting here. As the car is blocking access to their property.

Should they? They have no powers to do anything about it, they can't even obtain the drivers details from the DVLA as they have no rights to that data.

At best they could launch a private civil claim against the driver for their losses in profit due to not being able to sign up OP as a customer. The whole process would be really expensive for them, and if the car owner did not have assets to pay costs would be a massive loss leader for them.

It's not Virgin's fault.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-May-17 10:53:29
Print Post

Presuming Virgin has a way-leave of some sort, for access to its equipment, I suggest that Virgin could legitimately move the vehicle on that basis.

--------------

With there being a SORN, then apparently the owner/ Registered Keeper can be contacted and so informed.

---------------

Generally the Local Authority will be able to identify whether the verges are part of the publicly-adopted roads.

----------------

SORN -

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads...
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-May-17 15:35:59
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Presuming Virgin has a way-leave of some sort, for access to its equipment, I suggest that Virgin could legitimately move the vehicle on that basis.
And I believe that you would be wrong. I live on a gated development in central London where we collectively own the freehold. We have two abandoned cars in our car park. We cannot legally move them and are waiting for Lambeth, our local authority to do so. It's been a long wait, nine months to date.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-May-17 16:01:08
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I appreciate your problem with the cars - this may be because they are not obstructing direct access to anything of consequence; but in the case of the Virgin chamber, that car is clearly obstructing access to another "person's" property, similarly to if it had been abandoned directly obstructing a doorway etc.

So the legal situation could be distinctly different - and is clearly worth investigating as a possible way of breaking the impasse.

----

From your description of your local situation, I'm doubtful if Lambeth Council will move them, as by your description, the cars are NOT on Lambeth Council property/ground.

Similar to farmers' problems with fly-tipping.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-May-17 17:47:02
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
Should they? They have no powers to do anything about it, they can't even obtain the drivers details from the DVLA as they have no rights to that data.

It's not Virgin's fault.

I would imagine that any utility has the right to get a vehicle moved that is blocking access to their property....
Imagine a car blocking access to a water hydrant/gas cut off, when there is a leak. Will they simply do nothing or get it moved? (extreme I know, but it's the same point)

Also anyone can find out the registered keeper.
I would guess that the likes of Virgin could get it in no time if it is causing them a problem.

To Infinity
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-May-17 17:50:37
Print Post

In the case of gas/water/electric with threats to life dangers then different criteria can apply

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-May-17 18:08:09
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Incorrect. The two abandoned cars are in spaces owned by residents and thus preventing the owners from parking their cars. This makes no difference whatsoever. We are legally not allowed to move the vehicles which has to be done via the local authority.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-May-17 18:49:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
Incorrect. The two abandoned cars are in spaces owned by residents and thus preventing the owners from parking their cars. This makes no difference whatsoever. We are legally not allowed to move the vehicles which has to be done via the local authority.

Apply for V5. Do as they wish.

Of course they could be very naughty and tow them out and leave them on the road.... Clearly the real owner is not going to complain wink

But one has to wonder given it's a private gated community. Why are there no resident only parking signs and the usual mega charge for failure to comply smile

To Infinity
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-May-17 19:42:14
Print Post

Why are there no resident only parking signs
There are. That doesn't prevent someone entering the development and leaving a vehicle. In one case we know the dumper was a former tenant in one of the properties, the other we don't have a clue as to who the dumper might have been or whether they entered the site legitimately and chose not to leave or whether they tail-gated a resident to enter the site.

usual mega charge for failure to comply
Not a hope in hell of getting any recovery, all the more so when the vehicle is abandoned and the owner unknown. Check out the law as it stands today and you will find that property owners have very little redress against trespassers.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-May-17 20:33:38
Print Post

Not a hope in hell of getting any recovery, all the more so when the vehicle is abandoned and the owner unknown. Check out the law as it stands today and you will find that property owners have very little redress against trespassers.

Check out previous post for getting owners details. Then instigate legal recovery to cover the cost of the blocked parking.

To Infinity
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-May-17 22:30:29
Print Post

If it was my parking space I would get the owners details from DVLA and issue an invoice for parking in my space or storage fee £50.00 per day , if no response then i would sue them in the small claims court , if that failed and i had the money to spare i would escalate to high court enforcement
Or the car would mysteriously vanish to a scrap yard, and i would know nothing about it

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 05-May-17 22:31:34)

Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Sat 06-May-17 14:16:09
Print Post

After a couple of weeks of getting nowhere "legally" I would be out there with a tow rope to drag it just far enough to be out of the way, on a suitably dark night.

I'd take photos of it's position and condition first ofc.

Alternatively, tell the police you saw kids trying to set fire to it and are concerned about safety.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612, Billion 7800N; 79987/19999 Kbps. Online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User derby13
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 19:35:56
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

Looks like the road is privately owned by a housing association, which I guess complicates things. Fortunately Virgin have agreed to try and get it moved. By which they mean they will talk to the land owners.
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-May-17 21:45:04
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

Out of interest - what does this mean - Macs since 1979 ?

Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-May-17 09:13:34
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

But move it where? Maybe leave it on a public road?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 09:27:02
Print Post

[re: Yves] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yves:
But move it where? Maybe leave it on a public road?

I think wolves meant the OP move the vehicle just a few metres to allow access to VM manhole.

------------------------------------------
Fluidone FTTPoD 330/30...well almost smile