User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-May-17 15:03:12
Print Post

Re: Bufferbloat?

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

That is what the theory says and I can only share what we see from observation means that while high TCP latency usually indicates high periods of ICMP latency the two numbers can be different absolute values with the ICMP generally being lower.

Also as 'ping' usually implies ICMP echo to most people I was being open and upfront by saying small TCP packet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-May-17 22:08:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Also as 'ping' usually implies ICMP echo to most people I was being open and upfront by saying small TCP packet.

Could go one worse and call it a "gaming style ping" !!!

http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters/icmp...

wink

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 9th Apr 17: 56,605/9,592 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-May-17 09:43:48
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

For those worried about the grades http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest now has an analysis button and shows the individual latency measurements and a couple of other new bits

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 18-May-17 12:59:43
Print Post

is it possible to have the grade show without analysis been clicked?

I noticed now I have to click analysis to see the grade. I like of course the extra information tho. smile

Also the quality score seems a bit whacked?

"Quality at 228.83 is worse than the average 1.51 on your ISP using VDSL2/FTTC " It may have happened as I noticed the start of the speed graph was about 1.2gbit/sec then dropped to my actual speed, I guess thats why I had the weird quality score?

--edit--

confirmed smile second test didnt have the spike and now get this

"Quality at 1.00 is better than the average 1.51 on your ISP using VDSL2/FTTC"

Only got a B grade for download on second test as first latency check spiked high, does that mean I need to work on my QoS setup or I should blame tbb tongue

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 18-May-17 13:03:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-May-17 13:41:39
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Spiking is something am looking at, and by exposing the score to individuals we'll get more feedback as people raise their oddities (theory is that the adverts are causing a side-effect, this is not affecting speed figures but makes graphs a bit odd at start and skews quality), was not noticeable so much on old site format even with same speed test code.

On the A-F grade do I worry if I get C grades no - it just reminds me that if doing multi-gig downloads don't also expect my uploads or gaming traffic to be totally unaffected.

Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Fri 19-May-17 08:15:20
Print Post

The "Back to Main Graphs" button does not seem to work
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-May-17 09:51:21
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Browser and platform?

Standard User LightFantastic
(newbie) Fri 19-May-17 10:04:22
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

'Back to Main Graphs' button also not working for me.

Firefox 53.0.2 running on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Tried it on IE 11 and works okay on that.

Edited by LightFantastic (Fri 19-May-17 10:04:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-May-17 12:38:31
Print Post

[re: LightFantastic] [link to this post]

And is if by magic it is now working

Standard User deviousiphone
(newbie) Fri 19-May-17 12:59:14
Print Post

If you want to deal with bufferbloat properly then you will need to put your virgin hub into modem mode and get yourself a decent router with QOS, this will protect you from buffer bloat by prioritising packets entering the buffer and prevent any lagging too far behind, in reality I don't think you need to be worrying about this at all by the sound of your usage, and if you have the Hub3 you will be stuck with a certain amount of lag from the Puma 6 CPU bug anyway and you won't get around that, however from what your saying that doesn't cause any noticeable problems for you, so my suggestion would be to just stick with what you have, bufferbloat shouldn't be a noticeable problem to you from the description you have provided.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to