User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jul-17 22:02:00
Print Post

Re: Specs for new roll out

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Well they have have dug up the road now whilst I was away on holiday, tubes laid. Our neighbor phoned up to inquire about the service and was told 1-4 months before it maybe available.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Jul-17 21:44:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Its fibre right into the home, and a simple converter that the fibre plugs into and pushes out a DOCSIS signal over coax all ready to work with all the existing hardware they use.

EPON doesn't involve DOCSIS. It's what VM will end up using when they're ready to migrate customers from DOCSIS broadband to something different.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Jul-17 12:36:12
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

True, but that's a future thing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Jul-17 17:01:59
Print Post

Had one of the contractors involved in the cable roll out at the door over a minor complaint I had, anyways he tells me its full fibre into the premises. With possible speeds he had heard of up to 500Mb if it were ever deployed, but me thinks that is all just rumour. Was more interested on how they would run an install to my house as it ain`t very straight forward.

Regards

MrG

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Jul-17 17:06:37
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Once full fibre is in then the sky is limit for speed, i.e. just depends on what speed Virgin Media decides to sell and what speed the hardware on each end will support and how well the local and core network will cope with people using a much faster product.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Jul-17 18:55:41
Print Post

what speed the hardware on each end will support

and how much money VM want to spend creating hardware unique for less than 20% of the network coverage. e.g. Tivo / TV6 boxes

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jul-17 23:50:35
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
Had one of the contractors involved in the cable roll out at the door over a minor complaint I had, anyways he tells me its full fibre into the premises. With possible speeds he had heard of up to 500Mb if it were ever deployed, but me thinks that is all just rumour. Was more interested on how they would run an install to my house as it ain`t very straight forward.

Don't need FTTP to get to 500Mb. The hybrid network is easily capable.
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jul-17 23:51:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
what speed the hardware on each end will support

and how much money VM want to spend creating hardware unique for less than 20% of the network coverage. e.g. Tivo / TV6 boxes

Nothing to do with broadband service. The STBs installed in FTTP homes are the same as those installed in hybrid network homes.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jul-17 21:43:48
Print Post

Not that there is anything wrong with my current BT FTTC connection but it is speed limited due to line length. Doubt I would see any faster speeds in the next couple of years on my line from BT, can see BT losing a few customers round this neck of the woods which is also a pity as it was quite early in adopting FTTC.

Regards

MrG

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jul-17 22:34:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Nothing to do with broadband service. The STBs installed in FTTP homes are the same as those installed in hybrid network homes.
Makes sense, but obviously there is a FTTP to Coax conversion going on to plug a TV6 box in to. Broadband I would hope is different, but expect a standard coax connected SH3 - just the physical plant is fibre rather than coax in the street.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to