User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 04-Jun-17 18:48:53
Print Post

Specs for new roll out

[link to this post]

I noticed today that virgin have started cable laying in our area and checking on their website it appears that there service will be forth coming in my postcode.

Does anybody know what technology they will be installing in new areas going forwards?

I read that Virgin are rolling out FTTP, however maybe they are still installing the old coaxial system?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/04/virgin-...

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Jun-17 22:36:21
Print Post

Re: Specs for new roll out

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

is it infill of streets that were missed out at the beginning or is it a whole new build ?

my street was infill a few months ago and its the not FTTP.

Virgin Media VIVID100
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Jun-17 06:45:13
Print Post

As mentioned above, infill streets will link to existing coaxial network, new networks however should be fttp but then converted to coaxial at the premises.

Matt

Coaxial Powered Wonder-Bytes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Mon 05-Jun-17 10:08:24
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Thanks mlmclaren,

No it is completely new to the town, and it seems they are doing complete coverage. Nearest service from Virgin is in another town about 3 miles away.

They are installing light grey / white street cabinets, not sure if this is of any relevance? Typically I have always seen green.

ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Jun-17 13:21:11
Print Post

Dosen't matter it'll slow down from 3pm -4am anyway.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Jun-17 13:45:22
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Just coming into our street in the next week or so, been a complete new install in our town and surrounding area so assume its FTTP ?

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Jun-17 16:07:51
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

If the VM checker is saying everything is available, apart from a copper voice circuit, does this mean it's FTTP?

Virgin have just cabled my friends street, which is in an existing franchise area.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2

Edited by wolvesmad (Wed 21-Jun-17 16:12:48)

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Jun-17 16:08:34
Print Post

All the new VM cabs are grey now.

Looks like they don't bother painting them.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Jun-17 18:57:35
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
All the new VM cabs are grey now.

Looks like they don't bother painting them.

They're that colour for a reason, it's not the colour of the metal. Light colours reflect heat. Dark ones absorb it.
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Jun-17 18:59:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
If the VM checker is saying everything is available, apart from a copper voice circuit, does this mean it's FTTP?

Depends. Could be the checker, could be no capacity available on the existing copper MSAN.

Generally if they are deploying infill it'll be HFC. There's no point in building a 5000 premises fibre hub to serve a couple of streets.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Jun-17 12:13:29
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

We are being offered 200Mb connections ( FTTP ??? ), I assume that can be ramped up? Also no phone connection, I assume that maybe moving to VoIP in the future ? Not sure if i`m brave enough to ditch my BT line just yet??? Only because of elderly parents whom are not fully conversed mobile wise and never will be as do not need it !

Regards

MrG

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Jun-17 14:38:30
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

The 200Mb service is available on Virgin's standard HFC network so I wouldn't read into that too much.

What I have noticed is the majority of infill areas around here have no copper phone connection available on the checker - including my friends street.

He's called Virgin and they just said we can't provide a phone line and that was that.

I'd keep your BT line until Virgin manage to sort a VOIP solution out.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jun-17 13:54:53
Print Post

Looks like fibre too me, watched a couple of guys with a compressor and the separate tubes from the grey cab. I assume they were blowing the fibres down from the cab to the hole in the ground ? Excuse my ignorance on the technicalities. smile

Regards

MrG

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Tue 27-Jun-17 21:11:27
Print Post

These are the cables they are laying in our area, bright green as pictured in the link below.

https://lightwater.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/virgi...

Are the green cables coaxial cables for the HFC network or fibre tubes for a FTTP network?

ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jun-17 21:26:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ripley:
These are the cables they are laying in our area, bright green as pictured in the link below.

https://lightwater.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/virgi...

Are the green cables coaxial cables for the HFC network or fibre tubes for a FTTP network?

That's exactly what is getting laid round here ! Not had a very close look but the tubes are hollow hence I think they then blow the fibre down ??

Regards

MrG

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jun-17 21:38:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ripley:

If its virgin they will fit a fibre to coax converter at your premises, and then use the normal cable modem/SuperHub and TV boxes as used elsewhere. Its still DOCSIS technology.

This is known as Radio Frequency over Glass (RFoG).

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Jun-17 21:41:02
Print Post

Microducts for FTTP.

Interesting. I guess if the infill is large enough they can do this, it's not like there's a big distance limitation with the fibre so they can put a hub a way away.

Very good indeed. Means EPON is doable when they are ready. Lucky people!
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Tue 27-Jun-17 22:31:38
Print Post

Thanks ignitionnet. What is EPON is you don't mind me asking?

Also will they pull the fibre micro duct as far as the house when they do installs? Or is the cable across the garden coax?

ASUS RT-AC66U
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Jun-17 00:27:32
Print Post

Its fibre right into the home, and a simple converter that the fibre plugs into and pushes out a DOCSIS signal over coax all ready to work with all the existing hardware they use.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jul-17 11:50:42
Print Post

Exactly the same round here, in a current franchise area but 5/6 streets with about 40-60 houses in each.

Makes sense as to why they won't offer a copper phone service now.

Would capacity in these new infill areas be significantly better than the standard HFC areas?

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jul-17 22:02:00
Print Post

Well they have have dug up the road now whilst I was away on holiday, tubes laid. Our neighbor phoned up to inquire about the service and was told 1-4 months before it maybe available.

Regards

MrG

(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Jul-17 21:44:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Its fibre right into the home, and a simple converter that the fibre plugs into and pushes out a DOCSIS signal over coax all ready to work with all the existing hardware they use.

EPON doesn't involve DOCSIS. It's what VM will end up using when they're ready to migrate customers from DOCSIS broadband to something different.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Jul-17 12:36:12
Print Post

True, but that's a future thing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Jul-17 17:01:59
Print Post

Had one of the contractors involved in the cable roll out at the door over a minor complaint I had, anyways he tells me its full fibre into the premises. With possible speeds he had heard of up to 500Mb if it were ever deployed, but me thinks that is all just rumour. Was more interested on how they would run an install to my house as it ain`t very straight forward.

Regards

MrG

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Jul-17 17:06:37
Print Post

Once full fibre is in then the sky is limit for speed, i.e. just depends on what speed Virgin Media decides to sell and what speed the hardware on each end will support and how well the local and core network will cope with people using a much faster product.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Jul-17 18:55:41
Print Post

what speed the hardware on each end will support

and how much money VM want to spend creating hardware unique for less than 20% of the network coverage. e.g. Tivo / TV6 boxes

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jul-17 23:50:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
Had one of the contractors involved in the cable roll out at the door over a minor complaint I had, anyways he tells me its full fibre into the premises. With possible speeds he had heard of up to 500Mb if it were ever deployed, but me thinks that is all just rumour. Was more interested on how they would run an install to my house as it ain`t very straight forward.

Don't need FTTP to get to 500Mb. The hybrid network is easily capable.
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jul-17 23:51:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
what speed the hardware on each end will support

and how much money VM want to spend creating hardware unique for less than 20% of the network coverage. e.g. Tivo / TV6 boxes

Nothing to do with broadband service. The STBs installed in FTTP homes are the same as those installed in hybrid network homes.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jul-17 21:43:48
Print Post

Not that there is anything wrong with my current BT FTTC connection but it is speed limited due to line length. Doubt I would see any faster speeds in the next couple of years on my line from BT, can see BT losing a few customers round this neck of the woods which is also a pity as it was quite early in adopting FTTC.

Regards

MrG

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jul-17 22:34:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Nothing to do with broadband service. The STBs installed in FTTP homes are the same as those installed in hybrid network homes.
Makes sense, but obviously there is a FTTP to Coax conversion going on to plug a TV6 box in to. Broadband I would hope is different, but expect a standard coax connected SH3 - just the physical plant is fibre rather than coax in the street.

(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Jul-17 15:32:25
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Makes sense, but obviously there is a FTTP to Coax conversion going on to plug a TV6 box in to. Broadband I would hope is different, but expect a standard coax connected SH3 - just the physical plant is fibre rather than coax in the street.

At the moment it's using a standard Superhub, yes, but obviously this can be changed easily enough to use RFoG for the TV service and EPON or similar for broadband. This solution isn't uncommon, Verizon for example used to use RFoG for TV and GPON for broadband on their FiOS product.
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 27-Jul-17 19:01:58
Print Post

the sales presentation from virgin that I saw has the fibre to the outside of the property,
then converting to coax on the outside of the building,
then internally to ethernet.
so while it is true fibre to the property (and to the building),
it isn't quite right into the home.
apparently the reason they do this is that coax is far more robust (than fibre) in a domestic enviornment.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Jul-17 19:30:16
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
apparently the reason they do this is that coax is far more robust (than fibre) in a domestic enviornment.

Well i have a fibre optic 'EZ bend' cable installed by Openreach in my home and it looks fairly robust to me. Unless you have a rottweiler or rats who love chewing cables you've got absolutely nothing to worry about. The white indoor fibre cable is actually also exposed outside my home and it has survived wind/rain/hailstorms without any loss of service.

http://postimg.org/image/dlu6nmoyn/
http://postimg.org/image/57ejzjnxb/
http://postimg.org/image/r412zx13z/
http://postimg.org/image/y8iw8y8db/

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 27-Jul-17 20:52:13
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

yep, it was a sales presentation wink
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jul-17 17:59:07
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
and saves them money having to support two different types of hardware in a consumers home. TV6/Tivo boxes and SuperHubs are already a known quantity to the support organisation. This will be quite important.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jul-17 18:00:38
Print Post

At the moment it's using a standard Superhub, yes, but obviously this can be changed easily enough to use RFoG for the TV service and EPON or similar for broadband. This solution isn't uncommon, Verizon for example used to use RFoG for TV and GPON for broadband on their FiOS product.
Good the technology supports the alternatives - but unless VM build a significant proportion of their homes passed with fibre versus Coax, then I can't see the support organisation wanting to support multiple different products.

They've only just (relatively) managed to harmonise hardware from the former ntl, telewest, and c&w areas !

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to