User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User treforh
(newbie) Wed 19-Jul-17 11:19:54
Print Post

FTTP

[link to this post]

We have VM in our street now. As I understand it we have green hollow cables about 1 cm dia being installed to each access point. It is my understanding Fibre will then be pushed through this as and when we sign up. Is that correct? This then goes to a box on the wall which will convert it to CoAx. Is that correct? I also understand this box needs power. Is that provided by me or is the power supplied along with the Fire from VM? Finally I want the CoAx to run neatly through my House. I know the VM Installer won't do this. So I will do it myself before he arrives. Can someone provide me with the specification of the CoAx they use to go from where it joins the Firbre to my VM router. It will need to be partly outside so I assume there is an external cable specification for this? Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Jul-17 14:17:33
Print Post

Re: FTTP

[re: treforh] [link to this post]

If you are in a Project Lightning area where they are using full fibre then your description is correct.

On the specification no idea of the official designation.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Jul-17 22:51:21
Print Post

[re: treforh] [link to this post]

VM will supply the coax, they generally distrust anyone else's; and the coax is part of the network, altering it can affect the signal for others. Have a read here:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Vir...

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Jul-17 23:36:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

hehe, just had a look at the link you provided...

As soon as they mentioned Maplin I lost trust crazy

Saying this though, I've been very successful in many cases in installing 3rd party cabling and setting up different splitting configs at home addresses....

most these cases have been where splitters have been moved to the omni and new cables from omni to seperate parts of peoples homes.

Most installation/changes I've made have been for people wanting to get rid of the cable from around skirting and have it in the walls or under floors instead, I've also done a few where customers wanted routers moving away from TV's or to dfferent rooms.

In these cases I've mostly used Webro WF100, in some cases I've opted for thicker HD100 cabling, however i generally source like for link for splitters always trusting technitix (virgins favoured brand)

My own setup with Virgin is a mix of my own and Virgins... mine being nicely concealed in walls from Omni to Outlet...

I have a length (15m) of HD100 cable going from Omni on front of Garage, through garage, through under the floor of home through and then down inside of drywall to (Virgin Branded) outlet isolator.

I used to have points wired up to each room for TV supply too, which used WF100, however utilised these for terrestrial TV distribution instead, which meant when I had TV with Virign installed this year and I left them to it, I came back to a right messy cable install all the way down the side of house and across back wall into lounge then across skirting boards, and the cable they put half way down side of house and then loosely across the front to get to front bedroom...

However my installation has been tested by Virgin and theyre happy with it, I also take into account the cables length and always keep an eye on signals levels.

However I feel I'm more in the know than some.

I'm currently planning a new cable installation soon to rectify the mess they have left hanging off my house.... thats if I don't give up with them as they are testing my patience at the moment.

Best Regards,
Matt.
"I don't take too kindly to coaxial pushed rubbish... or to them damned Intel Puma wastes of plastic."
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Jul-17 21:28:47
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Maplin - yes I saw that blush)

I'm happier with Cat6 installations than coax tbh... but my friend did his own coax installation in his new extension. VM installers came and tested the cabling before they swapped the old V+ for the Tivo and then installed a TV6 in the new room - so all is good. Although he's having issues now with the TV6, the Tivo is fine.

Its not rocket science, but it is a different industry to most people's experience.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 20/May/17: 59,802/11,536 - G.INP & 3.5db SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to