User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DuSTman
(newbie) Thu 20-Jul-17 17:39:03
Print Post

New deployment in Morecambe/Lancaster?

[link to this post]

Hi..

Just driving through morecambe, I notice work crews installing new virgin media ducts and cabinets.

Morecambe and nearby villages have been an odd case for a while - Omne communications was building a new cable network in the early 00s, but then went into receivership before the network was completed. Smallworld media ended up running the partially complete network until it ended up getting rolled up in Virgin media. It was never clear to me how far they got building this network, as there were cabinets left over from the build in places where Virgin or smallworld did not claim availability. My house in Carnforth has one of these cabinets 50m away, but no service.

I'd be interested to know how far Virgin intends to go with this new buildout. Will they be replacing the equipment in the omne cabinets? Do they intend to include lancaster and carnforth in this build? Is there any further information about the Omne network (I'm a student in networking, so I'd be interested in getting as much information about this as I can)..
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 23-Jul-17 21:18:03
Print Post

Re: New deployment in Morecambe/Lancaster?

[re: DuSTman] [link to this post]

you can search the area on this site and search for all road works coming up in the next 12 months.

https://roadworks.org/

Good info on this in my area.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User weesteev
(newbie) Sun 23-Jul-17 21:32:31
Print Post

Carnforth not on the radar at the moment, potentially in future. The current build takes in both the entire towns of Morecambe and Lancaster, only homes that are out of spec due to wayleave issues will be missed.

HTH

Although I work for Virgin Media, all comments are a personal opinion and not a direct expression of my employer wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DuSTman
(newbie) Wed 09-Aug-17 21:13:49
Print Post

[re: weesteev] [link to this post]

Glad to hear that. Do you know what's going to happen with the old boxes? IIrc these are 155Mb ATM network based on alcatel switches. Can imagine VM might want to replace these while they're at it as it's a non-native tech to them (not to mention 15 years old)?
Standard User Pendlemac
(learned) Wed 09-Aug-17 22:32:15
Print Post

[re: weesteev] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by weesteev:
Carnforth not on the radar at the moment, potentially in future.

Family in Carnforth had Virgin laying ducts past their house in December 2016

Demon Internet > O2 BB > BT Unlimited ADSL > BT Infinity 2
Connection speed (U/D) [kbps/kbps]: 20000 / 79999
'Max attainable' rate : 19999 / 99212
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Aug-17 10:29:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by DuSTman:
Glad to hear that. Do you know what's going to happen with the old boxes? IIrc these are 155Mb ATM network based on alcatel switches. Can imagine VM might want to replace these while they're at it as it's a non-native tech to them (not to mention 15 years old)?

I imagine they'll be abandoned. VM's FTTP network will be passive cabinets for the most part with a single powered, active virtual hub cabinet per 3,000 premises passed. That'll backhaul over n x 10GE to whichever hubsite will serve it.
  Print Thread

Jump to