User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 04-Aug-17 13:41:54
Print Post

Vivid 350 quietly released

[link to this post]

I know this will get the usual cries of "why release faster services when people have issues with the old ones", but I thought someone might like to know.

Vivid 350 is now about, some people have been upgraded, I hadn't, but 1 phone call later I have, for no additional cost.

The max traffic rate is a little over 400mbit:

http://imgur.com/a/u3IeB

I get 388mbit on speedtest.net and multisource downloads.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6512108867

I'm paying £42 a month, broadband only, no phone line, which is the same as I was paying for 300.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 04-Aug-17 15:38:30
Print Post

Re: Vivid 350 quietly released

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

well you said it yourself, no need for me to say it, VM does want to dig their own grave with QOS issues.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Aug-17 19:54:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
I know this will get the usual cries of "why release faster services when people have issues with the old ones", but I thought someone might like to know.

Larger numbers sell to customers. Some people use STEAM and download 80gb games (!).

Quality has gone out of the window. Lots of low level issues on the network, doesn't matter to the bulk downloaders or those streaming video.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 28/Jul/17: 64,899/9,065 - G.INP & 3.3 dB SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Aug-17 21:33:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Larger numbers sell to customers. Some people use STEAM and download 80gb games (!).

Quality has gone out of the window. Lots of low level issues on the network, doesn't matter to the bulk downloaders or those streaming video.

Quality is better than it has been since at least 2014 but, facts.

If these 'low level issues' don't impact bulk downloading or streaming video, and there are virtually no upstream issues, what are the problems?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Aug-17 21:51:17
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
If these 'low level issues' don't impact bulk downloading or streaming video, and there are virtually no upstream issues, what are the problems?

Depends what your needs are, I agree. If your needs for internet access are to download large data blocks (e.g. steam games) or have 4 kids + parents independently stream video from Netflix/Amazon/Sky, then yes, the VM network is great.

However for home working using low latency connections to shell sessions in the USA, I want a consistent low latency network, as the distance hurts, and the VPN overhead hurt. So I left VM. Others may use obscure protocols for bespoke applications they are developing that are essentially swamped by heavy downloaders in their segment.

I prefer low jitter, and consistency, which is why I was a BEThere customer, whom sold their network like this (why AAISP used their wholesale). I'm with Plusnet at the moment as their network is "good enough" for me, and in my private life I stream video, making AAISP unaffordable smile

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 28/Jul/17: 64,899/9,065 - G.INP & 3.3 dB SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Aug-17 22:14:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Depends what your needs are, I agree. If your needs for internet access are to download large data blocks (e.g. steam games) or have 4 kids + parents independently stream video from Netflix/Amazon/Sky, then yes, the VM network is great.

However for home working using low latency connections to shell sessions in the USA, I want a consistent low latency network, as the distance hurts, and the VPN overhead hurt. So I left VM. Others may use obscure protocols for bespoke applications they are developing that are essentially swamped by heavy downloaders in their segment.

I prefer low jitter, and consistency, which is why I was a BEThere customer, whom sold their network like this (why AAISP used their wholesale). I'm with Plusnet at the moment as their network is "good enough" for me, and in my private life I stream video, making AAISP unaffordable smile

Afraid higher jitter than xDSL comes with cable as a whole. Nothing really to do with VM specifically. Upstream congestion is harmful to jitter and latency and is virtually non-existent on VM.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes for my working from home. As far as I'm aware I don't use any obscure protocols that are more vulnerable to issues than a single-threaded video stream and the hub is 180 ms away. I am, however, using SD-WAN and have path conditioning and WAN optimisation

EDIT: Quite amused you talking about the consistency of the Be network. It had frequent capacity issues and required extensive investment from Telefonica when it was acquired and used for O2. It wasn't even close to viable and was built in a dubious manner with some congestion issues pretty deep in.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 04-Aug-17 22:17:45)

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Sat 05-Aug-17 08:46:07
Print Post

I do download a lot from steam - my total library is about 9TB, just keeping everything updates is multiple GB a day.

I do use SSH, SCP, VNC, RDP, etc quite a bit as I also do quite a bit of support work from home, I've never had an issue.

Single threaded downloads are obviously not as fast, on the tbb tester I get about 90mbit single threaded, but this is more than I could get out of any other ISP single threaded as my connection on frrc would only be about 60mbit.

I watch quite a bit of 4k Netflix and Amazon video without issue.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Aug-17 09:42:20
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Afraid higher jitter than xDSL comes with cable as a whole. Nothing really to do with VM specifically. Upstream congestion is harmful to jitter and latency and is virtually non-existent on VM.

Agreed, its part of the choice a customer has to make between a DOCSIS product or an xDSL product. Neither is "wrong". One of the things that surprised me is VM (now) have no download limits or throttling - but they seem to throttle uploads still? Not brilliant if you're using a cloud backup service, and the first time upload on a VM 10mbps upload takes longer than an xDSL first time upload at 8mbps.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes for my working from home. As far as I'm aware I don't use any obscure protocols that are more vulnerable to issues than a single-threaded video stream and the hub is 180 ms away. I am, however, using SD-WAN and have path conditioning and WAN optimisation

I suspect you're way out of most people on this forum even mentioning SDWAN. I'm aware of what it means, but haven't worked in that space (I have colleagues that do). You should be fine smile My issue were very much related to the crazy VPN my (then) employer was using which connected in the UK, and then the electronic distance I had to travel inside the employer network.

EDIT: Quite amused you talking about the consistency of the Be network. It had frequent capacity issues and required extensive investment from Telefonica when it was acquired and used for O2. It wasn't even close to viable and was built in a dubious manner with some congestion issues pretty deep in.

It was pretty good until O2 decided to give people broadband with cashback that paid them in a 12 month period. Not just free, but income earning. That never made sense to me.

I quote AAISP whom said they were offered performance targets for various items on the 'tails' they were renting, which was a 'refreshing change' since nobody else was offering performance targets. Maybe this led to their downfall. (Although I gather TalkTalk Business are interesting in this regard, better than BTwholesale).

Edited by jchamier (Sat 05-Aug-17 09:42:32)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Aug-17 09:45:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
I do download a lot from steam - my total library is about 9TB, just keeping everything updates is multiple GB a day.

Then you have a requirement for a VERY fast connection. Not everyone has this requirement.

I do use SSH, SCP, VNC, RDP, etc quite a bit as I also do quite a bit of support work from home, I've never had an issue.

Do you do that within a VPN to the UK and then connect to a far away country? If you connect directly to the server from you VM connection and the servers are in the UK, you won't see the effect. Also it will be regional, down to what other people in your segment are doing.

Single threaded downloads are obviously not as fast, on the tbb tester I get about 90mbit single threaded, but this is more than I could get out of any other ISP single threaded as my connection on frrc would only be about 60mbit.

It depends if download speed is remotely important to you.

I watch quite a bit of 4k Netflix and Amazon video without issue.

Likewise, but that only needs a constant 25mbps or higher.

The discussion isn't that either VM or xDSL Is "right" or "wrong" - the discussion is about the different technical parameters of the connections. Many people have the choice of both, and buying based just on download speed is only one parameter. VM also don't offer static IP, or custom reverse DNS.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 05-Aug-17 12:44:26
Print Post

A few have posted on VM forums saying the gamer package is no longer available to new customers.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to