User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Aug-17 13:07:45
Print Post

Re: Vivid 350 quietly released

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
http://ruralbb.com/

RuralBB is the company, they have a setup in Stone in South Glos running at those speeds.

However their website now only shows 100/100. I do have e-mails from him saying they were doing 20/50/100 and could do 500 and even 1Gbps on demand.

Edit - at the bottom of the webpage it does say "*Prices for the 500Mb service on request."

Blimey I never heard of this company can do 100/500 or even 1Gbps but it was very naughty of them metion there is no up to speed are misleading.

Edited by adslmax (Tue 08-Aug-17 13:08:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Aug-17 15:32:17
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

"Because we use radio waves there is no degradation of broadband speed with distance"

If that were the case we would only need one TV or mobile mast to cover the UK, so any other claims are best interpreted with the reality of what people actually know about wireless.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Aug-17 00:49:20
Print Post

RuralBB is the company, they have a setup in Stone in South Glos running at those speeds.

However their website now only shows 100/100. I do have e-mails from him saying they were doing 20/50/100 and could do 500 and even 1Gbps on demand.

Sorry for the delay I had to dig it up - but this is the original

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/02/100mbps...

Edit - at the bottom of the webpage it does say "*Prices for the 500Mb service on request."

Gotcha.

The 500Mb would be a dedicated transceiver and a point to point wireless connection over probably V-Band or E-Band. That I would imagine would be why the price is on request, it's the wireless equivalent of FTTPoD smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daemon66
(member) Wed 09-Aug-17 09:48:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Perhaps they need to talk to the Voyager team to understand how data rate can be limited by distance.

However, in the practical world of terrestrial broadband a point-to-point wireless connection will not have to worry about any degradation over vDSL like distances, so long as there are no trees, buses, lorries, or buildings in the fresnel zone between the two points anyway.
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Wed 09-Aug-17 12:14:31
Print Post

You could say they're right. True, speed will have a dependency on SNR, just like xDSL, but with a PtP link on a narrow beam you can always wind the power up (within license limits) or jack up the antenna gain. We Need A Bigger DIsh.....

But when the link's no longer line-of-sight, the speed's dropped to zero. You'd need a very, very tall mast to cover the whole UK. I think it's called a satellite smile And you'd need lots of channels, but that's a function of the number of users, not the distance between base and user.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Aug-17 17:06:50
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mpellatt:
We Need A Bigger DIsh.....

Quite large.... http://www.vla.nrao.edu/

smile

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 28/Jul/17: 64,899/9,065 - G.INP & 3.3 dB SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 17:46:40
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

Sorry for the delay I had to dig it up - but this is the original

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/02/100mbps...

Gotcha.

The 500Mb would be a dedicated transceiver and a point to point wireless connection over probably V-Band or E-Band. That I would imagine would be why the price is on request, it's the wireless equivalent of FTTPoD smile

Fair enough but the impression the guy gave me was that he could turn up to 500 or even 1Gbps on demand for the right cost.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Aug-17 17:58:18
Print Post

Some people are just natural sales people

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 18:49:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Some people are just natural sales people

True, but again bear in mind I've seen this at 500mbps and 1Gbps so I know it works. I also know the setup as it's going into my folks back yard!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Aug-17 19:15:29
Print Post

So is this a point to point or point to multipoint configuration?

I've seen 5G at multiple Gigabit too.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to