User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Aug-17 08:21:46
Print Post

Re: Vivid 350 quietly released

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
I forgot the other issue, which is pretty mundane also, lack of RF bandwidth being available on some older networks.

The networks gained a bunch of bandwidth when analogue was switched off, however DTV, HDTV,VoD and, especially, broadband, have eaten it all.

There's not enough room left on some networks for 24 SC-QAMs let alone the upcoming OFDM block for DOCSIS 3.1, so in some areas customers are being made aware of upgrades to be done that will cause outages as equipment needs to be replaced within cabinets.

Another major driver is upstream bandwidth. More and more of that is needed too, VM are wanting to get 4 upstream channels bonded.

My quest is to try and find out why it was removed, and if it will ever return. That's all
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Aug-17 09:47:20
Print Post

I forgot the other issue, which is pretty mundane also, lack of RF bandwidth being available on some older networks.
I guess I'm surprised there isn't one single frequency plan for the cable across all the former franchises. Or is that a 10-20 year goal?

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 28/Jul/17: 64,899/9,065 - G.INP & 3.3 dB SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Aug-17 12:22:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I guess I'm surprised there isn't one single frequency plan for the cable across all the former franchises. Or is that a 10-20 year goal?

Same reason BT don't rebuild the copper plant without a good reason.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Aug-17 12:31:24
Print Post

The two Newport areas show an average of 1.5 and 1.8 in July 2017 so towards the bad end compared to other Virgin Media areas

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7788-are-the-dar...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Aug-17 12:47:46
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Jees, you really get offended don't you when someone goes to someone else for advice, I apologise for that.

No conspiracy theory, just facts based on what I have seen and was told, and it all fits.

Yes a move to a non VM area would sort the issue, If I didn't own this house too and rent it to 5 people when I am not here, And for that I need 2 FTTC lines or a decent VM line. (in fact this house has a VM white box in every room, believe it or not. Some still connected and some not.

So I can still find out what VM are doing about it.

Not offended in the slightest was just curious as to what was so interesting and why they were claiming, incorrectly, that the network was so broken in so many areas when it's in the best shape it has been since 2014 and work is still ongoing.

300Mb appears to be available on both Newport and Newport East hubsites. The website, incorrectly, states up to 200Mb but clicking to order broadband will show 300Mb as being available.

If it weren't available I imagine your slating of the peak time performance would explain it.

300Mb requires either very low traffic and 12 downstream channels, that doesn't exist anymore, or at least 16 downstream channels.

It was removed because the areas were on either 10 or 12 downstream channels and load was too high, then removed until 16 channels were implemented via new CMTS.

Based on Mr S's post and the above I imagine the new CMTS are there but more channels and node splits are needed.

I'll see if I can find out exactly what's going on and when it's planned to be going on by tomorrow.
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Aug-17 12:48:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The two Newport areas show an average of 1.5 and 1.8 in July 2017 so towards the bad end compared to other Virgin Media areas

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7788-are-the-dar...

Thanks, Mr S. I'll make some more enquiries.
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Sep-17 23:35:20
Print Post

I kinda forgot about this. Will pick it back up tomorrow. I need to enquire about the 'Voom' service anyway.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Sep-17 08:53:57
Print Post

300Mb appears to be available on both Newport and Newport East hubsites. The website, incorrectly, states up to 200Mb but clicking to order broadband will show 300Mb as being available.

Thank you. Last time I had the service here it was up to 300 (was very slow admittedly) but the Sh3 was locked onto 16 channels.

As for right now - when I do this at the same address I've had it in the past on postcode checker I get this

https://postimg.org/image/g7zsjsm0l/

When I click Start to Order I get this..

https://postimg.org/image/fjqy0unat/

And then I get this..

http://postimg.org/image/p5kih5egl/35fe0218/

The reason I jacked them in last time was that, after a long chat with TS it was discovered that the cabinet I am on has problems, and the SH3 was not getting anywhere near the 100Mbps they said it needed to run everything on. I live about 200 yards from the Newport East hubsite. I know that does not matter with VM but I could go and ask someone - they are always there. I am in Area 25

So I checked my old postcode 13 miles away but still same area- same problem there with no 300.

I'd appreciate anything you could find out - and I apologise for my previous tone.

Edited by 23Prince (Wed 06-Sep-17 09:05:00)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 18:17:41
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Simple - computer say NO! If it say NO, then u can't order 300Meg!
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Sep-17 18:29:28
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Simple - computer say NO! If it say NO, then u can't order 300Meg!

That's true. It will say yes I am sure when G.fast comes along. - by which time I will be saying no.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to