User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User delone
(experienced) Sun 13-Aug-17 23:17:06
Print Post

Network Expansion Idiocy

[link to this post]

Virgin Media have been cabling various streets in my area since April.

When BT rolled out FTTC in my area in 2012, they cabled almost every street except mine (only 50ish houses in three short cul de sacs) and one other. At the end of 2015 FTTC finally came to my home as part of the BDUK process. To say I was frustrated by that delay would be an understatement.

Having checked a few addresses in my street on Virgins online checker, it would appear that only selected numbers will be getting service from the network expansion including immediate neighbours of mine, the closest of whom's front door is literally just a few steps away.

It would appear the expansion stops there and myself and the next 12 houses won't be getting the expanded service. Why would they stop cabling the largest of the cul de sacs about 20% of the way round?

I am simply stunned and appalled at this. Are Virgin competing to be even bigger ####### than BT?

Del
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Aug-17 23:56:45
Print Post

Re: Network Expansion Idiocy

[re: delone] [link to this post]

When BT rolled out FTTC in my area in 2012, they cabled almost every street except mine
FTTC does not require cabling streets. FTTC is cabinet based and if your street was unable to get FTTC when others nearby were able to was almost certainly because you were connected to a different cabinet (PCP). BT enabled cabinets where they considered the upgrade to be commercially viable. BDUK, as appears to have been the case for yourself, gap funded or subsidised the upgrading of cabinets that BT considered not to be not commercially viable. VM, like BT being a company with shareholders expecting a return on their investment, install their services using similar commercial criteria.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Aug-17 10:13:25
Print Post

Re: Network Expansion Idiocy

[re: delone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by delone:
It would appear the expansion stops there and myself and the next 12 houses won't be getting the expanded service. Why would they stop cabling the largest of the cul de sacs about 20% of the way round?

I am simply stunned and appalled at this. Are Virgin competing to be even bigger ####### than BT?

Del

Usually a wayleave issue, some streets are partially private. The checker is not authoritative though. It does get things wrong some times, and the best plan is to wait until the work is on http://roadworks.org before judging.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to