User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NUTTER44444
(committed) Sun 17-Sep-17 21:25:52
Print Post

Is Virgin worth the money.....................

[link to this post]

Hi wink I will be moving soon into my own place. Now I have noticed that Virgin Broadband is available............................(the 300MB variety I think) What are people's thought's? I do have fibre optic right now where I am with Plusnet however although I would probably get a speed increase when I go I don't think it would be worth the hassle (41MB to up to 69) although it's great nowhere near 300 wink So logically i'm thinking move to Virgin.
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Mon 18-Sep-17 09:54:23
Print Post

Re: Is Virgin worth the money.....................

[re: NUTTER44444] [link to this post]

When Virgin works it's great (so I'm told) - but if you move to a high utiliisation area then it might not be so good in peak times - the problem with the latter is you don't know its a bad area until you have it installed.

My Virgin connection was a stable 52mb mb (a few years back on the 50mb service) - speedtest always showed a decent connection, yet youtube buffered like it was on dial up. I ditched them within 3 weeks (they used to give you 28 days to cancel).

You have to ask yourself - do you need 300mb? Is your current service limiting what you do?

ISP's:
Zen: Around 6mb down - .8mb up
JohnLewis BB: Around 6mb down - .6mb up
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Currently one step closer to the dream....

Edited by kebabselector (Mon 18-Sep-17 09:58:38)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Sep-17 10:19:02
Print Post

Questions come to mind?

1. Do you need 300Mbps, Netflix full HD is 5Mbps, it even plays with 1Mbps?
2. Is your current service slow in anyway?
3. Will you notice any difference in reality e.g. if netflix runs fine now, it wont do anything magical when you upgrade.

Also virginmedia is very area dependant, as others have said, it is much more prone to congestion and has recently been on watchdog:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/bbc-wa...

There is no guarantee anywhere that you will get 300Mbps 24/7, the service is sold as an upto product. Also worth bearing in mind a speedtest is multi-threaded, and as such will hide congestion, you can have a speedtest showing good speeds and still be unable to play YouTube etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 18-Sep-17 11:29:10
Print Post

I have 350mbit on Virgin Media. While it's true there are issues in some areas, for the most part it's good.

As others have mentioned, even UHD netflix is only about 12mbps, you don't need massive speeds for it. But 350m will really come into it's own for things like Steam downloads, and likely the same for Xbox One and PS4.

It also doesn't have to cost much more, I pay £41.25 a month for 350mbit BB with no phone line, which isn't much more than the up to 76mbit BT based services.

Single threaded tests here on TBB top out at about 85-90mbit, but that's:
1. Still more than the 60mbit FTTC would give me
2. The only place that shows this issue, most other things I do work fine at line speed of about 380mbit.

In short, there are issues, as with any ISP, but I feel on balance for me it's the best option.

Now, if the argument was VM vs GEA-FTTP, it would be a much harder question to answer...
(committed) Mon 18-Sep-17 11:41:54
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

I do stream a lot (and games on steam/twitch) so I mean beneficially wise streaming I might have to go for it and initially I probably won't have a TV service initially so it will be online streaming (BBC ITV what not) and of course skype so on the streaming side of it realistically I do think I have to. Plusnet we're going to be stubborn but I have managed to water them down and more or less said i'm free to go when I do move (could be anytime soon)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Sep-17 12:48:30
Print Post

My advice if you have decent VDSL2 upload speeds now is to stay with that technology, or at least get the cable connection and run it for a few days at the same as the VDSL2 and only keep it you are happy and once happy finish the VDSL2 contract

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Mon 18-Sep-17 16:58:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
My advice if you have decent VDSL2 upload speeds now is to stay with that technology, or at least get the cable connection and run it for a few days at the same as the VDSL2 and only keep it you are happy and once happy finish the VDSL2 contract

There MAY be some email problems with my actual email so i'm not getting notifications of repllies right now.

Plusnet have cleared a major hurdle for me (saying I am free to go more or less) The issue I would have is 2 services. Say I arranged a home move with no phone line in this new home (I can't be certain though) the expense at putting a line in might be a issue HOWEVER I don't see any such prices if I choose virgin (I have figured out a new cable line would have to go in) it's a difficult balance.

I still have plenty of time to weigh up my options though
Standard User BrokenFibre
(newbie) Mon 18-Sep-17 17:02:22
Print Post

Hi Nutter,

If you game lot virgin, for now, may not be the best solution for you. There is a known problem with the Puma 6 chipset in the Hub 3 they supply that cause lag spikes. It has been well documented on their forums as well as other forums (here as well probably).

I myself moved to Virgin (the old 200 Gamer product)back in April. I am not in a high utilisation area and get the full speed all the time (over the advertised speeds actually - 220/21) and don't suffer with youtube and other streaming platform problems. Its not been until recently that I have started to notice the lag spiking in Xbox games such as the COD's, Titanfall and most recently Destiny 2. I am getting old though so my reaction times aren't as fast as they used to be. I am one of the luckier ones though. Some people hardly notice the lag while gaming and others are having a terrible time with it.

Virgin do do a rolling 30 day contract (which I took) but they charge a one off £65 fee for the privilege.

I would do as MrSaffron suggested (and what I did) keep VDSL with Plusnet and try the Virgin Media BB. If you find its no good cancel it and stay with VDSL for now.

Again have a read/search through the forums before making an informed decision

Edited by BrokenFibre (Mon 18-Sep-17 17:08:00)

Standard User ironman12345
(member) Mon 18-Sep-17 17:48:50
Print Post

[re: BrokenFibre] [link to this post]

I ran a gaming server about 3 years ago [online car racing] with clients in the US and other countries , and was then with VM.
For normal use it was fine , clients lost their connections to the server and sometimes the server would crash.
Most of the above was due to the fact [in my case anyway] that the latency was very high with VM back then and a server must be stable ,but it was not smooth enough for that kind of simulation.
I am now with BT using the Infinity 80/20 package which is much more stable.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Sep-17 19:22:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by NUTTER44444:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

There MAY be some email problems with my actual email so i'm not getting notifications of repllies right now.

Plusnet have cleared a major hurdle for me (saying I am free to go more or less) The issue I would have is 2 services. Say I arranged a home move with no phone line in this new home (I can't be certain though) the expense at putting a line in might be a issue HOWEVER I don't see any such prices if I choose virgin (I have figured out a new cable line would have to go in) it's a difficult balance.

I still have plenty of time to weigh up my options though

I agree with Andrew, I've experienced 100/200 and 300 and none of them were as smooth and consistent as my now 80/20 line is.

that's the gods honest truth, Can't even get 300 now where I live the area is so bad Tivo can't even get 100mbps which is needs (they say) to work right!
  Print Thread

Jump to