User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 07-Oct-17 10:03:51
Print Post

Virgin wiring

[link to this post]

My wife has Virgin TV in her cinema room with a V+ HD Box. She is the sports/film buff in our house

I may change from BT to a full Virgin package; broadband, phone line, tv, and two mobile phones. At present I am BT mobile and my wife is EE. BT broadband at 30mb download; very dodgy street wiring. TBH that speed is ok for my broadband use; not into video streaming, sports or gamming.

I will want the Virgin broadband to terminate in my study on the otherside of the house.; Cat 5 already from there wiring feeds WAP necessary to get wifi where wanted.

If Virgin installed broadband would they use existing feed to the tv socket or another cable from the brown box on the outside of the house to where ever I need it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Oct-17 11:35:08
Print Post

Re: Virgin wiring

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

As you have an existing service they'd likely just send out the extra kit and instructions on how you plug it in, i.e. standard activation fee.

If you pay extra you get an engineer to visit (obviously those with no existing Virgin wiring pay for the engineer visit always)

So short answer, they would use the existing feed, so using CAT5 to take it to your study is the best way

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 07-Oct-17 11:42:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you

Makes wiring easy then. Waiting yo see how my BT settles down after recent problems but may move any way as it must be cheaper with one package.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 14-Oct-17 22:09:52
Print Post

More wiring questions.

The white Virgin socket is in the cinema room. If I add Virgin broadband, I unscrew the white cable from that box and put another cable and a splitter in place. From the splitter I take one cable to the tv box and the other to the Virgin broadband hub. I then take cat 5 cable from the ethernet socket on the that hub, across the house to my hub in the study to distribute broadband over my existing cat 5 network.

What happens about the telephone?

The BT master socket is in my study and the Dect phone is plugged into that. If Virgin now supplying telephone/calls into what do I plug my Dect phone? The BT master socket's adsl socket will now be empty as it will be dead.
Standard User TTTJJJ
(newbie) Sun 15-Oct-17 03:08:57
Print Post

If you have the Virgin Hub, you'd either want to enable modem mode on the router and use your existing hub via Cat 5 (assuming it's a router) or disable DHCP on one of the devices to allow one of them to control network routing. You'll run into problems with being behind two private networks if not.

Also - if there's no Virgin phone line installed they'll happily install it wherever you want. If there is a Virgin line they'll likely charge you to have it moved. If the phones are wireless you could perhaps put the DECT base at the existing socket point (Virgin) and just put a charger in place where the current BT socket is if that's where you like the phone to stay
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 15-Oct-17 20:48:20
Print Post

[re: TTTJJJ] [link to this post]

At present one output from HH4 goes to a 4 port unmanaged ethernet hub for onwards distribution. The other three ethernet ports on the HH4 feed two pcs and an outbuilding. Thinking of replacing the HH4 outputs and the unmanaged hub with a single 8 port unmanaged hub e.h. Netgear Gs108 OR GS 608, fed from the output from the Virgin Hub 30.

Once installed will see what is necessary to get 5ghz wifi throughout house; current WAP is only 2.4ghz.
Standard User mortmaru
(newbie) Sun 15-Oct-17 22:02:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As you have an existing service they'd likely just send out the extra kit and instructions on how you plug it in, i.e. standard activation fee.

If you pay extra you get an engineer to visit (obviously those with no existing Virgin wiring pay for the engineer visit always)

So short answer, they would use the existing feed, so using CAT5 to take it to your study is the best way

They will send out engineer who will leave what you currently have in place but run another cable from the omni box (this is one on your building outside) to your room you want.

They will need to send someone out because he stated he will be switching to phone service as well which he does not have phone point for already.

So it is simple they run new cable to the study so you will get telephone and internet feed of that (virgin router is rubbish so only use that in modem mode with another router)

Edited by mortmaru (Sun 15-Oct-17 22:06:08)

Print Thread

Jump to