User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lightbody
(newbie) Sun 22-Oct-17 11:24:44
Print Post

Google Wifi and Virgin Media

[link to this post]

Hi,

A few months ago, I switched my Virgin Superhub 3 to Model Only mode, and added 2 Google Wiif units to my house. Highly recommended by the way, a lovely simple setup, with strong wifi throughout the house.

This had one unexpected benefit to me - the ability to monitor my Virgin connection speed at any time from my smartphone. For a while, it sat at 108/6 - which I presume is optimal for my 100mb connection, however about a week ago it decreased to about 40 and stayed there. Then last night the Superhub actually rebooted itself, which I've not seen before. Are they doing an urgent update or trying to resolve a big issue?

I literally can't be bothered phoning them to complain again, they'll spend 30 minutes or more on the phone, making me reset everything, then eventually agree that it's not my problem. I've been through this before, and its really painful.

In the area I'm in there's no alternative to virgin, so every single house for miles around must have it.

- Rob
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Oct-17 00:41:17
Print Post

Re: Google Wifi and Virgin Media

[re: lightbody] [link to this post]

If it won't go above 40 night or day it's not congestion on the network, that would be seen as slow speeds at peak times rather than slow speeds all the time.

Might be worth hard wiring a laptop into the beast just to exclude the WiFi entirely.
Standard User lightbody
(newbie) Tue 24-Oct-17 20:37:54
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

And today, they've fixed it.

Google Wifi (which despite the name lets you test the wired ethernet speed of your connection from anywhere) is now back to reporting 106/6. They've had a fault for over a week and they've just fixed it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Oct-17 20:48:16
Print Post

Virginmedia is very sensitive to local usage, very likely a few users began downloading heavy files e.g Game of Thrones box set, torrents, etc at the same time in your local area. A handful of localised heavy users brings virginmedia speeds down rapidly.
Standard User lightbody
(newbie) Tue 24-Oct-17 20:50:35
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Virginmedia is very sensitive to local usage, very likely a few users began downloading heavy files e.g Game of Thrones box set, torrents, etc at the same time in your local area. A handful of localised heavy users brings virginmedia speeds down rapidly.

It wasn't that... The connection speed stayed stuck in the low 40s for a week, consistently, any time of day.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Oct-17 09:16:08
Print Post

Interested in learning how the Google units were showing the DOCSIS cable connection speed.

Is the poster perhaps confusing the wireless connection speeds with the cable infrastructure connection speed.

Connection speed - the speed of the physical infrastructure and should be affected by what users are doing with their connections.
Throughput speed - the speed you observe from things like speed tests across a link

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Oct-17 20:33:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Looks like the Google Wifi app on the mobile device (that you used to configure the mesh AP’s) has a built in speed test.

“The app has an included internet speed test similar to that of Ookla’s, a mesh test that measures the health of your Points’ connections as well as a Wi-Fi test that measures your connection strength from within the network. ”

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
18 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Oct-17 10:12:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by lightbody:
It wasn't that... The connection speed stayed stuck in the low 40s for a week, consistently, any time of day.

School's Half term.....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Oct-17 10:59:35
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

'Connection Strength' sounds more like testing across the WiFi rather than a full speed test, but promo pages suggest there is an actual throughput test out to the Internet too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Oct-17 19:11:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
'Connection Strength' sounds more like testing across the WiFi rather than a full speed test, but promo pages suggest there is an actual throughput test out to the Internet too

agree - I was looking at these with interest for a friend. Not sure what they'll go with.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
18 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to