User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 28-Oct-17 18:32:45
Print Post

Getting Virgin Engineer

[link to this post]

My wife has Virgin Full House TV; contract in her name.

We have asked for that contract be extended to include broadband and telephone. We have been given a date of Monday 30th October between 13:00 and 18:00 hours

I changed my mobile from BT to Virgin; that contract in my name - got plenty of emails confirming mobile and now even got the SIM.

We have had two calls from 0330 333 4193 confirming they are ready to call at that time HOWEVER we get almost to the end of the call, when I assume they are waiting for me to confirm all is OK by me, by pressing 1 I guess, when the phone call goes into a loop; just plays an endless, very short electronic repeating noise. I have to hang up to stop the noise

Tried yesterday when this happened after after 20 minutes talking to sales got a confirmation BUT that was very hard work and I am not sure, now that I have had another duff call today, that the engineer will actually attend. Sales don't seem to have a way to advise engineering that I am ready; they can only read the details!

Is there any phone number I can call or email I can send to confirm to Virgin Engineering that I do want the engineer on that date and time?

Any advice please?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Oct-17 20:59:32
Print Post

Re: Getting Virgin Engineer

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

I never confirmed when I had it installed. I was told date and time and it happened on that date and time.

SO wait till Monday is all I can suggest
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 28-Oct-17 21:50:35
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Yes I hope so. Calls to Virgin confirm engineer booked but if calls genuine does engineer need my confirmation?

Been checking up on that 0300 number and most think it is genuine but a few think it is a scam; don't know who to believe but Monday will tell. Funny but these calls only started after I ordered Virgin upgrade; coincidence?

Hope all does go well as my BT is now getting very bad; two drop outs this evening. Maybe HH4 dying as rebooting that gets me back up; solid DSL on router all the time.

Just lay back and think of England; as one prince was said to have muttered!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Oct-17 08:35:40
Print Post

I have known the engineer to call me but that's usually only when he/she is on their way.

calls from VM might be a new thing to make sure people are going to be in. Not sure on that one.

As you say Monday will tell, I am sure everything will go to plan.

In regards to the HH4, mostly (but not always) when you need to reboot a router to get the connection back the router itself is dying. That's always been my experience when I have had to replace routers anyway. (spent years tech support at an ISP)

WOn't matter anyway as you know VM does not touch BT's network in any way - and the SH3 has it's own unique set of problems. I would love to have VM back in my house but for me 300 is not available anymore and when we had Tivo and stuff there was not enough bandwidth coming from the cab so nothing worked right for us.

The new vans have "Our network is going places" written on them - maybe they can take our little cab box away and replace it with one that actually works? Dreams I know!
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 29-Oct-17 13:48:26
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

There was another 0300 call; probably was genuine as it stated correct day, time range and address before call went out of kilter.

Anyway came home this afternoon to find a different call, but again from that 0300 number, from VM telling me the same information but ending by saying "... if all that is ok there is nothing for you to do as the engineer will make the appointment..." I am more relaxed now.

HH4 is just a hub; the modem us a seperate device - that has had the solid DSL light on all the time. Actually streaming, just audio, at the moment and some buffering; guess will need tio reboot HH4 soon.

Edited by athegn (Sun 29-Oct-17 14:16:25)

Standard User athegn
(committed) Mon 30-Oct-17 14:50:00
Print Post

Why do things never go as planned? Booked for 13:00 to 18:00 today. Turned up at 11:45 smile Finished by 12:30.

All went well. Phone line installed where I wanted and old number transferred straight away; big plus for me as many have that number.

Wife now finding her way round new Tivo box. I am testing to see which is the best configuration/location of the bb box; 2.5 metres of cable from splitter to bb box.

Top bb speed so far 68mbs on wifi on tablet; hard wired PC 45mbs (at end of 10M of cat5 cable from bb box)

Still to transfer mobile from BT; will now do this as phone and bb are working.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Oct-17 15:17:12
Print Post

You see - all went well smile
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Oct-17 06:40:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by athegn:
Top bb speed so far 68mbs on wifi on tablet; hard wired PC 45mbs (at end of 10M of cat5 cable from bb box)

Something not right there, a wireless test should not be faster than a wired test, 10m of cat5 is not going to make any difference.

Standard User athegn
(committed) Tue 31-Oct-17 08:22:55
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Later this week may have time to investigate why wireless better than wired..

Edited by athegn (Tue 31-Oct-17 08:23:15)

Standard User athegn
(committed) Tue 31-Oct-17 20:40:06
Print Post

Had time for a quick test tonight. Again wifi/tablet 84Mbs but PC at end of 10M Cat5 through Netgear 5 port passive hub 52Mbs. Dell laptop at end of 10M cat5 through Netgear 5 port passive hub 61Mbs and same laptop at end of 1M cat5 61Mbs i.e. direct into Virgin Hub 3

So 10M Cat5 and hub makes no difference but wifi and tablet does?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to