User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Sat 11-Nov-17 12:43:26
Print Post

Re: STOP LYING VIRGIN!!

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Ignore their website, they haven't updated it properly with up to date information.

From the package page of the website: "And, best of all, over the coming months we will start to increase our speeds with the target of delivering 1Gb/s connections to our customers."

The ultra fast package is now a 1Gb/s connection.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Nov-17 12:52:02
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
Ignore their website, they haven't updated it properly with up to date information.

From the package page of the website: "And, best of all, over the coming months we will start to increase our speeds with the target of delivering 1Gb/s connections to our customers."

The ultra fast package is now a 1Gb/s connection.

Ah fair enough smile thanks for the info

So VM can and do offer a better connection to their resellers than to their OWN biz and res customers?

That's shocking!

Edited by 23Prince (Sat 11-Nov-17 12:52:38)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Nov-17 13:47:02
Print Post

Nah. They will sell 10G happily to whomever. These guys are not reselling Virgin Media broadband, they purchased a leased line from VM and are using it to backhaul their FTTP network.

They're connecting through a leased line terminating in Northampton by the looks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Nov-17 15:11:03
Print Post

Oh that.

It's nothing more than concerns about service quality. As above with the changes to advertising, the bad publicity, etc, they want to ensure there's adequate capacity free before they start selling 350.

That means 24 channels and then checking stats. After that some time scratching balls. After that a few months of planning upgrades if needed.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Nov-17 20:03:49
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Nah. They will sell 10G happily to whomever. These guys are not reselling Virgin Media broadband, they purchased a leased line from VM and are using it to backhaul their FTTP network.

They're connecting through a leased line terminating in Northampton by the looks.

I see - well thats fair enough they aren't cheap but then again neither is their backhaul. If what's said to be be believed they can only make 10 or maybe 11 times the £135 a month?

I thought a 10Gbps line would be more than that?
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Nov-17 20:33:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I see - well thats fair enough they aren't cheap but then again neither is their backhaul. If what's said to be be believed they can only make 10 or maybe 11 times the £135 a month?

If they have relatively few customers it's probably a single GigE for all of them. They wouldn't be the first selling up to a gig on a gig backhaul.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Nov-17 09:52:35
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:

If they have relatively few customers it's probably a single GigE for all of them. They wouldn't be the first selling up to a gig on a gig backhaul.

Fair enough. Well I hope it works for them, and their trouble don't end them. It's nice to see someone actually doing what VM could (i assume by the backhaul already being available) but don't want to?
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Sun 12-Nov-17 11:02:56
Print Post

Well it looks like the company is about to go bye byes, so I doubt we will find out if it works for them
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Nov-17 12:11:27
Print Post

No more related than comparing a leased line with FTTC. Backhaul isn't a problem, sharing a fibre between a few hundred customers via coax is the rub.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Nov-17 12:24:28
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Do people not realise that Virgin Media has been offering business users who are willing to pay services that are not DOCSIS based for years?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to