User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 20-Dec-17 03:48:09
Print Post

Virgin Public WiFi Speed

[link to this post]

Hey wondering if anyone knows the answer more out of curiosity than anything else

When connected to the free public wifi (the one provided from users hubs where VM have rolled out the firmware to create a second connection for VM WiFi App users) a quick speedtest tends to max out at about 20/1 (don't have results on me as i have not connected to one since getting a new phone)

But does anyone know if this is sort of a cap per account to try stop people abusing it or if this is the max speed the public wifi is configured to and would slow down more and more the more people connect to it,

Cheers Ash
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Dec-17 15:56:42
Print Post

Re: Virgin Public WiFi Speed

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

That's the maximum a single access point can deliver. It is shared between all devices connected to that hub.

My VM Business experience so far - spoiler: it's not ideal.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Dec-17 09:56:56
Print Post

Is this why the green wifi icon has started to flash? If so they can have it back I never agreed to this and I wish there were alternatives to the CPE like VDSL/ADSL providers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Dec-17 10:35:21
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Possibly. Doesn't impact on the customer's own service directly though, has its own bandwidth.

My VM Business experience so far - spoiler: it's not ideal.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Dec-17 11:36:38
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Ah right okay. Well I did a reboot and it stopped. So if you turn the wifi off does that still get over ridden?

There should be an opt out like BT had?

Admittedly the service is not affected, but my worries are based on the last time I had this and there was bandwidth reserved for other things like the Tivo - and then it didn't work. And then I had to leave, and this time I honestly don't want to leave again.

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 21-Dec-17 11:37:58)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 21-Dec-17 20:21:11
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

you can opt out 2 ways first put your hub in modem mode use your own router this 100% disables public wifi hotsport, or if you like the hub in router mode there is an opt out somewhere in your VM online account but weather VM actually do truly switch it off on the hub after opting out is another question

ash
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Dec-17 10:31:48
Print Post

Cheers Ash, and nice to see you again. We've not spoke since your woe of Origin.

Or whatever it was :/
  Print Thread

Jump to