User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Jan-18 19:00:14
Print Post

So - can you tell us Carl?

[link to this post]

After seeing https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7924-g-fast-laun...

Do you think VM will raise upload to compete? or not?

Thanks,
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Jan-18 21:10:11
Print Post

Re: So - can you tell us Carl?

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

At them prices I'm happy with Virgin... and remembering that you need to be under 200m from the cabinet to really get the benefits of g.fast.

i say the 4 upstream channels is a sign of faster uploads to come... we'll see

Edited by BuckleZ (Tue 16-Jan-18 21:11:11)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jan-18 22:53:22
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
i say the 4 upstream channels is a sign of faster uploads to come.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jan-18 18:27:44
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thanks for the confirmation wink
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jan-18 18:28:12
Print Post

I am 100 from mine but no sign of g.fast here - however now VM is actually running nicely I couldn't really care for it either.
Standard User reddev86
(member) Sat 20-Jan-18 06:58:38
Print Post

Agreed. I see that you're a fellow Vivid 350er!

I don't know about your connection, but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that lives in an area of the VM network that isn't riddled with crippling congestion.

I pretty much see 380-390Mbit constantly 24/7, especially from sources like Steam etc.

On the more relevant upload side of things, it's constantly 20-21Mbit on just two bonded upstream channels. I'd be curious to see if VM do try to compete on upload in future though, even though 20Mbit up is plenty for my needs currently.

As long as this continues (I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop with VM), I'll be happy to stick with this, especially as my nearest BT cabinet is around 400-500M away, and at that distance I believe G.Fast would have significantly deteriorated anyway.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Jan-18 12:28:25
Print Post

[re: reddev86] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by reddev86:
Agreed. I see that you're a fellow Vivid 350er!

I don't know about your connection, but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that lives in an area of the VM network that isn't riddled with crippling congestion.

I pretty much see 380-390Mbit constantly 24/7, especially from sources like Steam etc.

On the more relevant upload side of things, it's constantly 20-21Mbit on just two bonded upstream channels. I'd be curious to see if VM do try to compete on upload in future though, even though 20Mbit up is plenty for my needs currently.

As long as this continues (I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop with VM), I'll be happy to stick with this, especially as my nearest BT cabinet is around 400-500M away, and at that distance I believe G.Fast would have significantly deteriorated anyway.

I am too - now they sorted my area I get around 383/385 24/7 I have 4 upstreams so I guess they have done all the upgrades they need to for now in my area. I would be able to get top speeds on g.fast but I doubt it's going to come here anyway - As i have a backup FTTC line too if it does I will check it out - but I don't intend on dropping Virgin for the forseeable even with a price rise
Standard User nidstigator
(newbie) Wed 31-Jan-18 15:59:37
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

To be honest, Virginmedia would be great if I didn't actually do any gaming. Their SuperHub 3 latency spiking issue (because of the Intel Puma 6 issues) gives a real disadvantage in any online gaming activity you participate in.

I really miss the raw power of 200Mbps though.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Jan-18 16:18:26
Print Post

[re: nidstigator] [link to this post]

I don't play any games that require a decent ping - and I gave up on WOW years ago. I agree
  Print Thread

Jump to