User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Mar-18 10:17:12
Print Post

Virgin Media Business Static IP

[link to this post]

Collective,

I would strongly recommend avoiding this service. My performance this evening is atrocious with speeds like this:

My Broadband Speed Test

Alongside 100ms of jitter.

My shiny, new local network is increasingly overloaded, and the equipment handling the static IP address block, both the router on my side and the GRE kit at VM that terminates it, are not fit for purpose. Between those it sucks.

BQM

This is the most expensive Internet connection I've purchased. It's also the worst since I had a 7km long ADSL2+ line..It should be 200Mb as they never installed the capacity to make 350Mb over Voom Business avaiable and is managing a little over 1/10th of that.

Even in offpeak times the best I can get is 100Mb out of the 200Mb over speedtest.net, 16Mb actual download speeds and 10-15ms jitter,
Standard User DougM
(member) Mon 26-Mar-18 16:08:00
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media Business Static IP

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thanks for the guidance; it aligns with what I've read elsewhere about their horrid GRE-based solution.

I'm tempted to use L2TP via Andrews and Arnold for static IPv4 and IPv6:

https://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-l2tp.html

This has the added advantage that I can fall-back to mobile data if the broadband fails:

https://aaisp.net.uk/telecoms-mobile-data.html

-==-
DougM
Standard User jdigz7
(regular) Mon 26-Mar-18 16:50:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Collective,

I would strongly recommend avoiding this service. My performance this evening is atrocious with speeds like this:

My Broadband Speed Test

Alongside 100ms of jitter.

My shiny, new local network is increasingly overloaded, and the equipment handling the static IP address block, both the router on my side and the GRE kit at VM that terminates it, are not fit for purpose. Between those it sucks.

BQM

This is the most expensive Internet connection I've purchased. It's also the worst since I had a 7km long ADSL2+ line..It should be 200Mb as they never installed the capacity to make 350Mb over Voom Business avaiable and is managing a little over 1/10th of that.

Even in offpeak times the best I can get is 100Mb out of the 200Mb over speedtest.net, 16Mb actual download speeds and 10-15ms jitter,

It's amazing that they are still selling this. As you'll see as I posted elsewhere I had to go down the complaint route to leave my contract early and get rid of this.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 27-Mar-18 09:17:16
Print Post

sorry to hear man, I was looking for a reply from yourself, but yet you are the OP.

At least you have kept your FTTC right? so I guess you can cancel this for your hard earned money back.

IS this article accurate?

http://www.thebmwz3.co.uk/2017/05/virgin-media-busin...

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 27-Mar-18 09:21:34)

Standard User jdigz7
(regular) Tue 27-Mar-18 09:31:04
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
sorry to hear man, I was looking for a reply from yourself, but yet you are the OP.

At least you have kept your FTTC right? so I guess you can cancel this for your hard earned money back.

IS this article accurate?

http://www.thebmwz3.co.uk/2017/05/virgin-media-busin...

Completely.

There has also been several 'fixes' done which haven't helped the majority of users.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Tue 27-Mar-18 11:24:13
Print Post

Yes, their GRE tunnel based solution is absolutely awful.

However, fortunately their dynamic IPs are not very dynamic, and with the addition of a namecheap domain and dynamic DNS on my router, I don't actually need a static.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 29-Mar-18 13:24:38
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

there is some discussion about the planned ipv6 system on kitz and that might use a tunnel as well.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User ubernick
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-18 13:52:22
Print Post

I was thinking of making the move to VMB having had VM home years ago and gave up when FTTC came out -- the VM line was poor and they had no desire to improve it.

Having been with PlusNet Business and now AAISP, I thought it would be a good idea to give VMB a try as they can offer a block of IPs (I don't recall a business option back in the NTL days) -- why not get 300+ MB for the price of 70, etc..

However, having read all of the issues with static IPs and they way they're obtained, the speed and customer service reports, I decided to call and cancel my order. I'm glad I did -- the phone line to customer services was terrible and it seems like I was connected to someone either in the states. We could barely understand or hear each other -- not great for a company selling telephone services to enterprise.

It really seems like the business product is wrangled onto the consumer product and offers no advantage other than a static IP. Very disappointing.

Edited by ubernick (Fri 06-Apr-18 13:53:28)

Print Thread

Jump to