User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derby13
(learned) Tue 03-Apr-18 18:35:54
Print Post

Modern Network / Cabinet Setup

[link to this post]

Hi all. Virgin have expanded into my area recently, and I'm just curious about something.

The VM network/cabinet setup that I am used to involves a small number of larger fibre node cabinets with a mains electricity supply feeding a chain of smaller non mains powered cabinets by coaxial cable.

However in the new network area, instead of the small number of larger cabinets and large number of smaller cabinets, I'm only seeing one type of cabinet. They are slightly taller but much thinner. Plus they are everywhere, there's one in every street (and two in some). What I've also seen is workmen blowing fibre to all of these cabinets, rather than just fibre feeding a small number of cabinets in an older setup. But I've not seen any mains electricity connections going in alongside the fibre.

I'm just curious as to how this affects a connection. Would a shorter run of cable and longer run of fibre allow for faster speeds in the future, compared to the older setups that have hundreds of meters of cable between the end user and the fibre node?

Thanks in advance
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Apr-18 19:10:43
Print Post

Re: Modern Network / Cabinet Setup

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

You may be in an area that is getting fibre all the way to the premises

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Apr-18 21:30:21
Print Post

Only need mains electricity to a single hub cabinet that serves 3,000 properties if I remember rightly. The cabinets are all passive, nothing in them that needs power, they split signals within fibre and send them to homes.

Don't need any more power than that as the all-fibre network only needs powered devices at each end, VM's and the home. No need for amplifiers so no need to have every cabinet powered.

The fibre node becomes a small. mains powered device in each home in the new set up. It's on the customer's wall.

The future capacity of this network is the same as for every other Passive Optical Network - it's certainly tens of gigabits.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User derby13
(learned) Fri 06-Apr-18 13:44:26
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Yes it seems like it is indeed an FTTP setup. VM customer service previously told me that it wasn't FTTP, but it looks like they were wrong.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Apr-18 15:55:25
Print Post

Good way to check, is if you use their checker online and it shows a no phoneline available it's FTTP

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Apr-18 15:56:21
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

and their cabinets are small and grey here, compared to the usual larger green/black ones that were done back by Cabeltel (NTL)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/cache...

Edited by BuckleZ (Sat 07-Apr-18 15:59:16)

(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Apr-18 20:26:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
Good way to check, is if you use their checker online and it shows a no phoneline available it's FTTP

Caution using that as a metric. Easy for the cable network to be ready before the telco has been done. No phone line was available here for months while CATV services were.
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Apr-18 20:29:36
Print Post

and their cabinets are small and grey here, compared to the usual larger green/black ones that were done back by Cabeltel (NTL)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/cache...

Also not reliable. The HFC networks are being built with grey cabinets, some of which are of similar size to the one pictured.

The guy saw it being built, lots of microducts, has triangular TOBY boxes on pavement rather than square ones, it's fibre to the prem.
Standard User paulby
(committed) Sun 08-Apr-18 09:24:58
Print Post

Re: Modern Network / Cabinet Setup *DELETED*

Post deleted by paulby
Standard User paulby
(committed) Sun 08-Apr-18 09:27:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

Caution using that as a metric. Easy for the cable network to be ready before the telco has been done. No phone line was available here for months while CATV services were.

Agree, not the best metric to use. I'm in an FTTP Project Lightning area and have a "phone line" - it's provided via the telephone port on the back of the Hub 3. Checker for my postcode shows phone available!!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to