User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mol2
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-18 19:21:29
Print Post

CustomerService

[link to this post]

Not the most impressive of starts - engineer fails to turn up for site visit. Call to sales only to be told he had been and perhaps I may have been out! No one of us is lying and my version is backed up by the lack of Virgin van on my security cam footage!

Itís a shame I had to spend so much time on the phone to get a basic service Ė call ID working, something I was told by both the sales team and by the engineer who did the site visit would work on commencement of the service!
Compound that by charging for it (you know Ofcom have decided charging for caller ID must stop by October) and even worse your chap in billing trying to justify the charge by telling me that an engineer would have make changes at the exchange & box in the street! Really itís VOIP- so itís a click of a mouse so please donít treat your customers as idiots!

As for the TV - the installation engineer brought the wrong remotes but said the proper ones would arrive in a few days (Rf rather than just IR) - after 10 days they hadn't turned up so ended up calling their helpline. Oh boy, that's time I will never get back. How many different ways could I come up with "Your installation engineer gave me the wrong ones and said the proper ones should arrive in 2 or 3 days"

No I am not going to pair the existing ones (for the old Tivo style boxes) again to see if the RF will work because the remote hasn't got RF!

Eventually I was told my new one was on it's way in spite of repeatedly stating I have two boxes and need 2 remotes. Eventually the second one get's processed.

The broadband works well enough with over 200 download speeds, the TV is cheaper than Sky if not quite as elegant a user interface.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Apr-18 08:25:41
Print Post

Re: CustomerService

[re: mol2] [link to this post]

I've just signed up for Vivid 350, only to have a phone call yesterday to tell me it's not available, so have to settle for Vivid 200. Luckily I'm not taking phone or TV, we use Freesat coupled with Mediaportal so don't see why we should pay through the nose for a less flexible service.

Sometimes their website says Vivid 350 is available other times its not, one conversation I had with sales said it wasn't, then the next said it was. Oh and we are in a brand new full fibre area, so why isn't it available???

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Apr-18 13:03:01
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I believe in new Project Lightning areas 200Mb is the maximum at present

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Apr-18 17:52:21
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Some have Vivid 350, I know of at least one - it didn't originally but has been added recently, no idea how long after it went live though.

Just seems bizarre to build a full fibre network and then limit the speed.

Standard User mol2
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-18 20:09:28
Print Post

Presumably because they lack the ongoing bandwidth?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-18 22:30:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Just seems bizarre to build a full fibre network and then limit the speed.

Full fibre to your door, then onto some large backhaul network 10Gigabit, into some data centre network at 40Gigabit and then we are talking serious money for peering at 100's of gigabit.

Perhaps VM should charge more.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 8/Apr/18: 62,153/9,919 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Apr-18 22:37:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

What are you on about???

I wanted to purchase Vivid 350 which they sell in plenty of other areas, it seems sensible to offer it on a brand new FTTP network.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-18 22:51:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I wanted to purchase Vivid 350 which they sell in plenty of other areas, it seems sensible to offer it on a brand new FTTP network.

What trunk uplink has that new FTTP network got to the various core sites? Maybe they're waiting for additional circuits before increasing the load!

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 8/Apr/18: 62,153/9,919 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-18 09:50:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The FTTP version is in some cases linked back into the existing fibre network that the other DOCSIS networks in an area are using, and if that is a high utilisation area they don't sell the 350 product

This helps to keep the average speeds of the fastest (boasters) package nice and high

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Apr-18 10:08:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanet is an entirely new area, however I can't remember whether it's linked back to any of the other areas in Kent, so that is quite possible.

Note however if you want a decent upload on VM then the only option is the boasters package as you put it. I'd be quite happy with 80/20, but my only option to get the 20 is to go with Vivid 350.

Print Thread

Jump to