User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-May-18 17:36:47
Print Post

Re: Thinkbroadband Speedtest capped download speed?

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

This ones not so great

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15255379258...

but this is

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7285148436

Guess I just got lucky earlier with the link out of Virgin's network.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-18 17:49:52
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Link out of, or the link inside VM network to the edge

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Wed 09-May-18 20:39:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm not sure it's just VM's route to TBB, I think there's possibly something going on elsewhere as well.

That said I did just manage 639Mbit/s down 685Mbit/s up testing from a VM I have running in a datacentre, quite possible the issue is someone in-between running hot

Virgin Media + AAISP L2TP tunnel

Edited by dragon2611 (Wed 09-May-18 20:43:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-May-18 21:13:49
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dragon2611:
That said I did just manage 639Mbit/s down 685Mbit/s up testing from a VM

I saw 400ish from a client system in a well connected data centre, so that's even better. We also have Hyperoptic reports that MrSaffron has shared in the past.

I suspect a lot of interconnects in the UK are quite heavily stressed now we have 300mbps regular services in use from Openreach and VM.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 29/Apr/18: 59,823/11,595 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-18 22:09:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

No signs of congestion from the Virgin Linx node through to us, so my money is on internal parts of the virgin core as they aggregate traffic from around the UK to exit onto the linx node.

What is interesting is that the areas with the worst quality scores follow the pattern for a long time pointing to some areas have more issues than others.

The Ofcom report gives great median figures for Virgin, but you have to question those when their 100 Mbps service is streaming UHD worse than an up to 38 Mbps VDSL2 service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Wed 09-May-18 22:09:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by dragon2611:
That said I did just manage 639Mbit/s down 685Mbit/s up testing from a VM

I saw 400ish from a client system in a well connected data centre, so that's even better. We also have Hyperoptic reports that MrSaffron has shared in the past.

I suspect a lot of interconnects in the UK are quite heavily stressed now we have 300mbps regular services in use from Openreach and VM.

I'd expect there's still a fair few 1G/10G ports out there.

Virgin Media + AAISP L2TP tunnel
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-May-18 22:30:06
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

Yes!

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 29/Apr/18: 59,823/11,595 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-May-18 22:31:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have friends with 200mbps VM, and yes you can download quickly, and you can run a family full of HD YouTube or 4K streaming. However interactive web access is slower than 3G cellular at refreshing pages, which is quite bizarre. A 30mbps VDSL connection from another ISP is more responsive.

Subjective and only one area, but the quality number shows similar issue.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 11-May-18 03:37:17
Print Post

burst speed has an affect on web browsing but only at a certian point e.g. say 2mbps.

Then latency becomes king for web browsing performance, VM has jittery RTT, in some areas its not that bad, in others its severe. Jittery RTT will affect downloads but can be countered by TCP auto tuning so be masked effectively,y whilst on web browsing the affect will be way more noticeable. Like a DNS packet delayed at the DOCSIS awaiting that slot could hold up an entire web page loading.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Tue 22-May-18 22:15:37
Print Post

Re: Thinkbroadband Speedtest capped speed? 350Mbps Virgin Me

[re: AstroflashTB] [link to this post]

I have the same issue. 350/20 can top out at 400/25 and on 380/21 on Speedtest and DSL Reports respectively.
TBB test is
My Broadband Speed Test

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to