User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Tue 17-Apr-18 14:43:06
Print Post

New Virgin Media Installation Tomorrow, Some Questions....

[link to this post]

Hi

I am moving from BT to Virgin, i have not cancelled BT yet, not until VM get me working.

I would really appreciate any advice or assistance from any veterans.

1) My understanding is that there will be a new cable box created outside and that will have a coax cable entering the property, is that correct?
2) The cable from the outside box comes through the wall and is wired into a new box inside, is that correct?
3) Does the cable from outside to in have to be on the ground floor? If so, it will penetrate the damp proofing that most properties have, no? (last time a building drilled through that wall, his bit snapped and then the chuck/clutch broke. As a guess I assume the heat causes the injected 'stuff' to become like glue)
4) What cable comes out of the internal junction box? Is it coax or is it IP from that point?
5) In other words, does the router and the VM TV box simply use IP networking, or must they BOTH (? or just one or the other) be connected directly using coax? (please say its not the latter!!).
6) Can I use my own router? (My TP-Link TD-W9980 is utterly solid and never requires a reboot perhaps i can use that?)
7) Can I still use my SamKnows box? I want to have comparative measurements of VM100 compared to BT FTTC 80mb

Anything else I should think about?

Thanks for any answers or advice, i really appreciate it!

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Apr-18 15:11:14
Print Post

Re: New Virgin Media Installation Tomorrow, Some Questions..

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

Using your numbers
1) Coax into property.
2) Yes
3) No idea on their rules, but sounds more like injected foam wall insulation than damp proof course, damp course is usually visible as a black line 3 to 4 bricks above ground. Looking around there are injection damp courses but not familiar with them and these seem to be into the brick rather than the cavity wall.
4) Coax comes out of the indoor box
5) SuperHub and Cable TV boxes both connect via Coax
6) SuperHubs usually have a modem mode if you turn it on, so if you set your router to get a dynamic WAN IP that should be enough
7) Yes by plugging into a LAN port on the superhub, but if using modem mode it needs to be a LAN port on the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Apr-18 22:38:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My VM installation is in a couple of weeks. Glad I'm not having TV as I certainly wouldn't want coax running around the house - all our TV is done via out network from a Mediaportal TV server.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Apr-18 23:32:22
Print Post

If youíre in a Project Lightning area you may have a fibre to coax converter outside your property.

all the TV boxes and cable modems use coax cable with screw thread connectors, anyone whom has seen a US television will recognise.

The TV6 box (second generation TiVo) needs an internet connection as well. Recommend Ethernet and works into your own router if SuperHub is in modem mode. The older TV boxes (V+ and TiVo) didnít need this.

Sadly the programme guide on virgin is hard to navigate and they donít do the HD channel swap that sky did. So you have to find HD channels in menu.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 8/Apr/18: 62,153/9,919 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User tmoran
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 11:35:11
Print Post

My experience of the "New" SuperHub 3 is appalling. If you have your own router then put the SuperHub 3 in Modem mode at the earliest opportunity and use your own technology. I've been party to the thread below on their community page as member NSC. The problems are now over TWO years old and not even one solitary response from Virgin in that entire period as I recall! I've tried to get a SuperHub 2 re-installed but "Computer says No!" Utterly shocking that this can continue with impunity.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-...
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 12:00:46
Print Post

Ask around the area before making the switch you DO NOT want to be stuck in an oversubscribed area and be forced to use the HUB 3, oversubscribed area's are luck to get 5/10 of the 100/200/350 they pay for between 4pm and midnight.

See this thread on the Virgin forums

On the plus side you can cancel within 14 days of install if you find the service is not what you expect.
Standard User Rushmere2012
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 12:34:57
Print Post

[re: jlowe74] [link to this post]

Agree with jlowe74 - i was stuck in an oversubscribed area, changed across to BT (albeit an FTTP connection, so will understandabely have much lower latency) and the difference is night and day:

My Broadband Ping

Even down to using a mobile to scroll through Facebook, videos have started autoplaying again, whereas it was very hit and miss on Virgin.

Same equipment has been used with only the initial point swapping out:

Virgin:
SH3 (Modem Mode) - Edgerouter Lite - Unifi AP AC Pro

BT:
Fibre ONT - Edgerouter Lite - Unifi AP AC Pro
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 13:46:58
Print Post

[re: Rushmere2012] [link to this post]

My so called Vivid 200 Gamer BQM

Compared to my BT FTTC 76/20 fibre

I totally agree with Rushmere2012 here it's night and day between the two
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Wed 18-Apr-18 14:09:25
Print Post

[re: jlowe74] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jlowe74:
Ask around the area before making the switch you DO NOT want to be stuck in an oversubscribed area and be forced to use the HUB 3, oversubscribed area's are luck to get 5/10 of the 100/200/350 they pay for between 4pm and midnight.

See this thread on the Virgin forums

On the plus side you can cancel within 14 days of install if you find the service is not what you expect.

Brand new in our area, only complete the works Feb, started getting the initial invites in March

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Wed 18-Apr-18 14:10:26
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
My VM installation is in a couple of weeks. Glad I'm not having TV as I certainly wouldn't want coax running around the house - all our TV is done via out network from a Mediaportal TV server.

Do you stream live TV over your network? What hardware and software do you use to do that?

Or do you only watch recorded stuff?

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to