User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Wed 18-Apr-18 14:12:30
Print Post

Re: New Virgin Media Installation Tomorrow, Some Questions..

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

They do a 14 day money back guaranty don't they? https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfse...

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Apr-18 15:58:35
Print Post

I use Mediaportal on my server with a quad TBS DVB-S2 tuner. This allows watching /recording over 4 channels at a time, depends what channels are on which MUX.

We use Mediaportal on PCs, and a mixture of Kodi and Emby for tablets, phones, fire TV or Nvidia Shield, but that does require an add on in Mediaportal TV to allow them apps to work.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Apr-18 20:10:47
Print Post

How did your install go today?

Had my external install done today, they were supposed to phone me prior to arriving, but as I suspected the never told the engineer.

Luckily I had the foresight to leave a note in the Toby and he did phone me, but had already drilled some holes in my porch wall but I can just fill these with some mortar so no big issue.

At least I actually ended up with the external box where I wanted it, which is the main thing but it really shouldn't be that hard to organise. They are installing something on my property they really should be set up to ensure it gets put where customers want it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Fri 20-Apr-18 10:23:29
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
How did your install go today?

Had my external install done today, they were supposed to phone me prior to arriving, but as I suspected the never told the engineer.

Luckily I had the foresight to leave a note in the Toby and he did phone me, but had already drilled some holes in my porch wall but I can just fill these with some mortar so no big issue.

At least I actually ended up with the external box where I wanted it, which is the main thing but it really shouldn't be that hard to organise. They are installing something on my property they really should be set up to ensure it gets put where customers want it.

Hi Ronski

Installation on Wednesday was initially quite annoying, no call, text or email to say when in the 1 - 6pm time slot he would be arriving. In this day and age, for a telco that is unforgivable. So at 5:15 i was already tweeting VM with complaints (now deleted!). I got a text message 15 minutes before he turned up which was useful and reassuring.

When Darryl from Kelly Comms turned up however, i was extremely pleased, he was clearly very experienced and was totally on board with where i wanted the holes drilling and why as our main TV room is on the second floor of a victorian terraced property. Needed a longer drill bit and was up the ladder a few times but his experience showed and it was really quick considering (he left long after 6pm and had another installation to do afterwards!).

Apparently I am the only person in the cabinet, no one else has signed up yet, so i was getting tx rates of over 110 mbps. However, I had not realised how slow the upload is, that was a shock. Was on the phone to them this morning and explained it was not fast enough, and after two phone calls (first women i spoke to said she couldnt do it until the system had updated and call back in a few days?? [censored]?!) the second women straight away upped me to the Vivid 200 for an extra £5 per month and my upload is now doubled.

So my speed test now shows:

Ping 9ms
DL 222.03 Mbps
UL 12.19 Mbps

I will ditch BT now,

PS I have right away set my cable router to modem mode and i am using my TP-Link TD-W9980 as the router. This is mainly because you cannot change the IP address of the VM Hub which i find shocking. It really is a poor choice of router, both the HW (by the sound of the ping issues) and the software/UI.

Can I ask more questions about your TV over IP server?! What software do you use that streams the live broadcasts? How do you control/ change the channels remotely?

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Fri 20-Apr-18 10:52:21
Print Post

New speed test results:

VM VIVID200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Apr-18 13:17:43
Print Post

Thanks for the info, I do hope they turn up early afternoon rather than late as I have a PM appointment, but I suppose that is the risk with PM appointments - they are more likely to be running late.

I wanted the Vivid 350 for the faster upload, but it's not available here yet.

I presume you saw my earlier post about what I use, so I'll just add a link to the software for now.

https://www.team-mediaportal.com

Hope that helps.

Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Sun 22-Apr-18 10:32:09
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Thanks for the info, I do hope they turn up early afternoon rather than late as I have a PM appointment, but I suppose that is the risk with PM appointments - they are more likely to be running late.

I wanted the Vivid 350 for the faster upload, but it's not available here yet.

I presume you saw my earlier post about what I use, so I'll just add a link to the software for now.

https://www.team-mediaportal.com

Hope that helps.

I've been playing about with MediaPortal for years, but i prefer Kodi. However, I was not aware MP can stream live broadcasts. I'll have to try it out!

VM VIVID200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Apr-18 12:41:37
Print Post

You can still use Kodi, just use Mediaportal as the TV server, in fact there a quite a few programs that can be used to provide a PVR/live TV function for Kodi.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Apr-18 20:12:40
Print Post

Glad to see you're getting a good service, I've been on VM over a year now, few months on 350Mb service and speeds and ping are spot on 24/7.

Cannot fault.

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-18 09:48:28
Print Post

Check out Plex with a HDHomerun tuner too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to