User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-18 21:56:49
Print Post

Re: New Virgin Media Installation Tomorrow, Some Questions..

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
Glad to see you're getting a good service, I've been on VM over a year now, few months on 350Mb service and speeds and ping are spot on 24/7.

Cannot fault.

Same here, since they sorted out my area - no issues
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-18 21:59:06
Print Post

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mcompton69:
In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
How did your install go today?

Had my external install done today, they were supposed to phone me prior to arriving, but as I suspected the never told the engineer.

Luckily I had the foresight to leave a note in the Toby and he did phone me, but had already drilled some holes in my porch wall but I can just fill these with some mortar so no big issue.

At least I actually ended up with the external box where I wanted it, which is the main thing but it really shouldn't be that hard to organise. They are installing something on my property they really should be set up to ensure it gets put where customers want it.

When Darryl from Kelly Comms turned up

Apparently I am the only person in the cabinet, no one else has signed up yet, so i was getting tx rates of over 110 mbps.

I didn't know Kelly did anything for VM? They do for BT but VM?

Also, this is not FTTC, so you would always have got 110 as VM always provision with overhead - on 300 (and now the 350) - we get around 385Mbps 24/7 so this is probably 390 on the modem.

And my cab is full..
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Apr-18 09:49:16
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Also, this is not FTTC, so you would always have got 110 as VM always provision with overhead - on 300 (and now the 350) - we get around 385Mbps 24/7 so this is probably 390 on the modem.

And my cab is full..

For your nerdy delight it's capped at 402.25 - 402.75 - 15% above base tier.

Those average speeds don't rig themselves smile

A single end cab being full shouldn't matter on cable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Apr-18 09:56:40
Print Post

Hope this all goes well for you and keeps going well.

I would caveat that with that VM are showing signs of waiting to be bought again, so are spending the bare minimum on the existing network.

Offering barely more download speed than BT do.
Being very reluctant to split nodes / carry out resegmentation.
Being very reluctant to upgrade the physical network - sweating the existing equipment and regaining spectrum by switching from MP2 to MP4 rather than overbuilding.
No sign of DOCSIS 3.1.
VoIP service delayed.
4 upstream bonding and hence higher upload speeds delayed.
IPv6 delayed.
Technical staff cut to the bone - relying on contractors / staff at Liberty Global Schipol.

Among other things.

I find myself wondering if VM's advertising will be the, retired, Usain Bolt with a walking stick made of a giant coaxial cable given they're sitting on their laurel cushioned backsides while the competition are installing FTTP and, in the case of Vodafone et al, selling a gigabit on it immediately and, in the case of Openreach, selling it at residential prices in the not too distant. VM can't come close to competing with that without spending money and they don't have it to spend on anything besides building out to new areas. That project is behind schedule and over budget too.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 27-Apr-18 11:47:27
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

I would caveat that with that VM are showing signs of waiting to be bought again, so are spending the bare minimum on the existing network.

Being very reluctant to upgrade the physical network - sweating the existing equipment and regaining spectrum by switching from MP2 to MP4 rather than overbuilding.
No sign of DOCSIS 3.1.
VoIP service delayed.
IPv6 delayed.
Technical staff cut to the bone - relying on contractors / staff at Liberty Global Schipol.

Among other things.

I find myself wondering if VM's advertising will be the, retired, Usain Bolt with a walking stick made of a giant coaxial cable given they're sitting on their laurel cushioned backsides while the competition are installing FTTP and, in the case of Vodafone et al, selling a gigabit on it immediately and, in the case of Openreach, selling it at residential prices in the not too distant. VM can't come close to competing with that without spending money and they don't have it to spend on anything besides building out to new areas. That project is behind schedule and over budget too.

Since I moved into my house in May 2016, I have gone from 200/10, with 12 channels down and 2 up on QAM16, to 350/20, with 24 channels down and 2 up on QAM64. They are still offering more than BT - FTTP is rare, and G.Fast is over 300 only for a small segment of people. In my area they have doubled the capacity by doubling the number of channels, I don't really care about VoIP myself, I have VoIP but I'm not paying VM for it. IPv6 is a nice to have but plenty of other UK ISPs don't offer it either....

I'm not sure it's that bad.
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Fri 27-Apr-18 17:27:09
Print Post

No sign of DOCSIS 3.1.
VoIP service delayed.
IPv6 delayed.

Among other things.

Are you a Virgin Media customer?

VM VIVID200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Apr-18 21:23:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

For your nerdy delight it's capped at 402.25 - 402.75 - 15% above base tier.

Those average speeds don't rig themselves smile

A single end cab being full shouldn't matter on cable.

Thanks - that's what I was trying to say - but as per you said it better smile
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-18 12:17:32
Print Post

Are you a Virgin Media customer?

That has no relevance to the veracity of what I said and kinda: I have a Virgin Media Business service.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 28-Apr-18 13:30:59
Print Post

what always struck me as odd, is you may remember when my address got enabled for VM.

I signed up the first month.

Then found the segment I was on was already saturated in a so called new area, I think even you was surprised at the time, seemingly pennies were saved by whacking me on a neighbouring node instead of building a new one. frown

So what you just posted to me seems same old VM(ntl).

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to