User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Tue 17-Apr-18 14:43:06
Print Post

New Virgin Media Installation Tomorrow, Some Questions....

[link to this post]

Hi

I am moving from BT to Virgin, i have not cancelled BT yet, not until VM get me working.

I would really appreciate any advice or assistance from any veterans.

1) My understanding is that there will be a new cable box created outside and that will have a coax cable entering the property, is that correct?
2) The cable from the outside box comes through the wall and is wired into a new box inside, is that correct?
3) Does the cable from outside to in have to be on the ground floor? If so, it will penetrate the damp proofing that most properties have, no? (last time a building drilled through that wall, his bit snapped and then the chuck/clutch broke. As a guess I assume the heat causes the injected 'stuff' to become like glue)
4) What cable comes out of the internal junction box? Is it coax or is it IP from that point?
5) In other words, does the router and the VM TV box simply use IP networking, or must they BOTH (? or just one or the other) be connected directly using coax? (please say its not the latter!!).
6) Can I use my own router? (My TP-Link TD-W9980 is utterly solid and never requires a reboot perhaps i can use that?)
7) Can I still use my SamKnows box? I want to have comparative measurements of VM100 compared to BT FTTC 80mb

Anything else I should think about?

Thanks for any answers or advice, i really appreciate it!

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Apr-18 15:11:14
Print Post

Re: New Virgin Media Installation Tomorrow, Some Questions..

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

Using your numbers
1) Coax into property.
2) Yes
3) No idea on their rules, but sounds more like injected foam wall insulation than damp proof course, damp course is usually visible as a black line 3 to 4 bricks above ground. Looking around there are injection damp courses but not familiar with them and these seem to be into the brick rather than the cavity wall.
4) Coax comes out of the indoor box
5) SuperHub and Cable TV boxes both connect via Coax
6) SuperHubs usually have a modem mode if you turn it on, so if you set your router to get a dynamic WAN IP that should be enough
7) Yes by plugging into a LAN port on the superhub, but if using modem mode it needs to be a LAN port on the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Apr-18 22:38:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My VM installation is in a couple of weeks. Glad I'm not having TV as I certainly wouldn't want coax running around the house - all our TV is done via out network from a Mediaportal TV server.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Apr-18 23:32:22
Print Post

If youíre in a Project Lightning area you may have a fibre to coax converter outside your property.

all the TV boxes and cable modems use coax cable with screw thread connectors, anyone whom has seen a US television will recognise.

The TV6 box (second generation TiVo) needs an internet connection as well. Recommend Ethernet and works into your own router if SuperHub is in modem mode. The older TV boxes (V+ and TiVo) didnít need this.

Sadly the programme guide on virgin is hard to navigate and they donít do the HD channel swap that sky did. So you have to find HD channels in menu.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 8/Apr/18: 62,153/9,919 - G.INP & 3.0 dB SNRm
19 years of broadband, from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User tmoran
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 11:35:11
Print Post

My experience of the "New" SuperHub 3 is appalling. If you have your own router then put the SuperHub 3 in Modem mode at the earliest opportunity and use your own technology. I've been party to the thread below on their community page as member NSC. The problems are now over TWO years old and not even one solitary response from Virgin in that entire period as I recall! I've tried to get a SuperHub 2 re-installed but "Computer says No!" Utterly shocking that this can continue with impunity.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-...
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 12:00:46
Print Post

Ask around the area before making the switch you DO NOT want to be stuck in an oversubscribed area and be forced to use the HUB 3, oversubscribed area's are luck to get 5/10 of the 100/200/350 they pay for between 4pm and midnight.

See this thread on the Virgin forums

On the plus side you can cancel within 14 days of install if you find the service is not what you expect.
Standard User Rushmere2012
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 12:34:57
Print Post

[re: jlowe74] [link to this post]

Agree with jlowe74 - i was stuck in an oversubscribed area, changed across to BT (albeit an FTTP connection, so will understandabely have much lower latency) and the difference is night and day:

My Broadband Ping

Even down to using a mobile to scroll through Facebook, videos have started autoplaying again, whereas it was very hit and miss on Virgin.

Same equipment has been used with only the initial point swapping out:

Virgin:
SH3 (Modem Mode) - Edgerouter Lite - Unifi AP AC Pro

BT:
Fibre ONT - Edgerouter Lite - Unifi AP AC Pro
Standard User jlowe74
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 13:46:58
Print Post

[re: Rushmere2012] [link to this post]

My so called Vivid 200 Gamer BQM

Compared to my BT FTTC 76/20 fibre

I totally agree with Rushmere2012 here it's night and day between the two
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Wed 18-Apr-18 14:09:25
Print Post

[re: jlowe74] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jlowe74:
Ask around the area before making the switch you DO NOT want to be stuck in an oversubscribed area and be forced to use the HUB 3, oversubscribed area's are luck to get 5/10 of the 100/200/350 they pay for between 4pm and midnight.

See this thread on the Virgin forums

On the plus side you can cancel within 14 days of install if you find the service is not what you expect.

Brand new in our area, only complete the works Feb, started getting the initial invites in March

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Wed 18-Apr-18 14:10:26
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
My VM installation is in a couple of weeks. Glad I'm not having TV as I certainly wouldn't want coax running around the house - all our TV is done via out network from a Mediaportal TV server.

Do you stream live TV over your network? What hardware and software do you use to do that?

Or do you only watch recorded stuff?

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Wed 18-Apr-18 14:12:30
Print Post

They do a 14 day money back guaranty don't they? https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfse...

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Apr-18 15:58:35
Print Post

I use Mediaportal on my server with a quad TBS DVB-S2 tuner. This allows watching /recording over 4 channels at a time, depends what channels are on which MUX.

We use Mediaportal on PCs, and a mixture of Kodi and Emby for tablets, phones, fire TV or Nvidia Shield, but that does require an add on in Mediaportal TV to allow them apps to work.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Apr-18 20:10:47
Print Post

How did your install go today?

Had my external install done today, they were supposed to phone me prior to arriving, but as I suspected the never told the engineer.

Luckily I had the foresight to leave a note in the Toby and he did phone me, but had already drilled some holes in my porch wall but I can just fill these with some mortar so no big issue.

At least I actually ended up with the external box where I wanted it, which is the main thing but it really shouldn't be that hard to organise. They are installing something on my property they really should be set up to ensure it gets put where customers want it.

Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Fri 20-Apr-18 10:23:29
Print Post

Had my external install done today, they were supposed to phone me prior to arriving, but as I suspected the never told the engineer.

Luckily I had the foresight to leave a note in the Toby and he did phone me, but had already drilled some holes in my porch wall but I can just fill these with some mortar so no big issue.

At least I actually ended up with the external box where I wanted it, which is the main thing but it really shouldn't be that hard to organise. They are installing something on my property they really should be set up to ensure it gets put where customers want it.

Hi Ronski

Installation on Wednesday was initially quite annoying, no call, text or email to say when in the 1 - 6pm time slot he would be arriving. In this day and age, for a telco that is unforgivable. So at 5:15 i was already tweeting VM with complaints (now deleted!). I got a text message 15 minutes before he turned up which was useful and reassuring.

When Darryl from Kelly Comms turned up however, i was extremely pleased, he was clearly very experienced and was totally on board with where i wanted the holes drilling and why as our main TV room is on the second floor of a victorian terraced property. Needed a longer drill bit and was up the ladder a few times but his experience showed and it was really quick considering (he left long after 6pm and had another installation to do afterwards!).

Apparently I am the only person in the cabinet, no one else has signed up yet, so i was getting tx rates of over 110 mbps. However, I had not realised how slow the upload is, that was a shock. Was on the phone to them this morning and explained it was not fast enough, and after two phone calls (first women i spoke to said she couldnt do it until the system had updated and call back in a few days?? [censored]?!) the second women straight away upped me to the Vivid 200 for an extra £5 per month and my upload is now doubled.

So my speed test now shows:

Ping 9ms
DL 222.03 Mbps
UL 12.19 Mbps

I will ditch BT now,

PS I have right away set my cable router to modem mode and i am using my TP-Link TD-W9980 as the router. This is mainly because you cannot change the IP address of the VM Hub which i find shocking. It really is a poor choice of router, both the HW (by the sound of the ping issues) and the software/UI.

Can I ask more questions about your TV over IP server?! What software do you use that streams the live broadcasts? How do you control/ change the channels remotely?

BT Broadband Infinity 2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Fri 20-Apr-18 10:52:21
Print Post

New speed test results:

VM VIVID200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Apr-18 13:17:43
Print Post

Thanks for the info, I do hope they turn up early afternoon rather than late as I have a PM appointment, but I suppose that is the risk with PM appointments - they are more likely to be running late.

I wanted the Vivid 350 for the faster upload, but it's not available here yet.

I presume you saw my earlier post about what I use, so I'll just add a link to the software for now.

https://www.team-mediaportal.com

Hope that helps.

Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Sun 22-Apr-18 10:32:09
Print Post

Thanks for the info, I do hope they turn up early afternoon rather than late as I have a PM appointment, but I suppose that is the risk with PM appointments - they are more likely to be running late.

I wanted the Vivid 350 for the faster upload, but it's not available here yet.

I presume you saw my earlier post about what I use, so I'll just add a link to the software for now.

https://www.team-mediaportal.com

Hope that helps.

I've been playing about with MediaPortal for years, but i prefer Kodi. However, I was not aware MP can stream live broadcasts. I'll have to try it out!

VM VIVID200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Apr-18 12:41:37
Print Post

You can still use Kodi, just use Mediaportal as the TV server, in fact there a quite a few programs that can be used to provide a PVR/live TV function for Kodi.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Apr-18 20:12:40
Print Post

Glad to see you're getting a good service, I've been on VM over a year now, few months on 350Mb service and speeds and ping are spot on 24/7.

Cannot fault.

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-18 09:48:28
Print Post

Check out Plex with a HDHomerun tuner too.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-18 21:56:49
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
Glad to see you're getting a good service, I've been on VM over a year now, few months on 350Mb service and speeds and ping are spot on 24/7.

Cannot fault.

Same here, since they sorted out my area - no issues
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-18 21:59:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by mcompton69:

When Darryl from Kelly Comms turned up

Apparently I am the only person in the cabinet, no one else has signed up yet, so i was getting tx rates of over 110 mbps.

I didn't know Kelly did anything for VM? They do for BT but VM?

Also, this is not FTTC, so you would always have got 110 as VM always provision with overhead - on 300 (and now the 350) - we get around 385Mbps 24/7 so this is probably 390 on the modem.

And my cab is full..
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Apr-18 09:49:16
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Also, this is not FTTC, so you would always have got 110 as VM always provision with overhead - on 300 (and now the 350) - we get around 385Mbps 24/7 so this is probably 390 on the modem.

And my cab is full..

For your nerdy delight it's capped at 402.25 - 402.75 - 15% above base tier.

Those average speeds don't rig themselves smile

A single end cab being full shouldn't matter on cable.
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Apr-18 09:56:40
Print Post

Hope this all goes well for you and keeps going well.

I would caveat that with that VM are showing signs of waiting to be bought again, so are spending the bare minimum on the existing network.

Offering barely more download speed than BT do.
Being very reluctant to split nodes / carry out resegmentation.
Being very reluctant to upgrade the physical network - sweating the existing equipment and regaining spectrum by switching from MP2 to MP4 rather than overbuilding.
No sign of DOCSIS 3.1.
VoIP service delayed.
4 upstream bonding and hence higher upload speeds delayed.
IPv6 delayed.
Technical staff cut to the bone - relying on contractors / staff at Liberty Global Schipol.

Among other things.

I find myself wondering if VM's advertising will be the, retired, Usain Bolt with a walking stick made of a giant coaxial cable given they're sitting on their laurel cushioned backsides while the competition are installing FTTP and, in the case of Vodafone et al, selling a gigabit on it immediately and, in the case of Openreach, selling it at residential prices in the not too distant. VM can't come close to competing with that without spending money and they don't have it to spend on anything besides building out to new areas. That project is behind schedule and over budget too.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 27-Apr-18 11:47:27
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

I would caveat that with that VM are showing signs of waiting to be bought again, so are spending the bare minimum on the existing network.

Being very reluctant to upgrade the physical network - sweating the existing equipment and regaining spectrum by switching from MP2 to MP4 rather than overbuilding.
No sign of DOCSIS 3.1.
VoIP service delayed.
IPv6 delayed.
Technical staff cut to the bone - relying on contractors / staff at Liberty Global Schipol.

Among other things.

I find myself wondering if VM's advertising will be the, retired, Usain Bolt with a walking stick made of a giant coaxial cable given they're sitting on their laurel cushioned backsides while the competition are installing FTTP and, in the case of Vodafone et al, selling a gigabit on it immediately and, in the case of Openreach, selling it at residential prices in the not too distant. VM can't come close to competing with that without spending money and they don't have it to spend on anything besides building out to new areas. That project is behind schedule and over budget too.

Since I moved into my house in May 2016, I have gone from 200/10, with 12 channels down and 2 up on QAM16, to 350/20, with 24 channels down and 2 up on QAM64. They are still offering more than BT - FTTP is rare, and G.Fast is over 300 only for a small segment of people. In my area they have doubled the capacity by doubling the number of channels, I don't really care about VoIP myself, I have VoIP but I'm not paying VM for it. IPv6 is a nice to have but plenty of other UK ISPs don't offer it either....

I'm not sure it's that bad.
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Fri 27-Apr-18 17:27:09
Print Post

No sign of DOCSIS 3.1.
VoIP service delayed.
IPv6 delayed.

Among other things.

Are you a Virgin Media customer?

VM VIVID200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Apr-18 21:23:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

For your nerdy delight it's capped at 402.25 - 402.75 - 15% above base tier.

Those average speeds don't rig themselves smile

A single end cab being full shouldn't matter on cable.

Thanks - that's what I was trying to say - but as per you said it better smile
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-18 12:17:32
Print Post

Are you a Virgin Media customer?

That has no relevance to the veracity of what I said and kinda: I have a Virgin Media Business service.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 28-Apr-18 13:30:59
Print Post

what always struck me as odd, is you may remember when my address got enabled for VM.

I signed up the first month.

Then found the segment I was on was already saturated in a so called new area, I think even you was surprised at the time, seemingly pennies were saved by whacking me on a neighbouring node instead of building a new one. frown

So what you just posted to me seems same old VM(ntl).

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to