User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User geoffchesh
(newbie) Mon 29-Oct-18 18:58:51
Print Post

Opening ports on a Super Hub 3

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am trying to set up a video doorbell on my wifi network.

The manufacturers have specified that the following ports should be available:

TCP in 50157 - 65168
TCP out 80, 443, 9998
UDP in 68, 50534 - 62946
UDP out 53, 123, 5353

Can anyone advise me how I should make sure that these ports are available please ?

Thanks

Geoff
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Oct-18 19:26:05
Print Post

Re: Opening ports on a Super Hub 3

[re: geoffchesh] [link to this post]

The TCP out you can ignore since should already be available since they are outbound.

Inbound - mmm most devices these days do this via the UPnP protocol so if a manufacturer is expecting the average person to do what is called Port Forwarding then their level of returns will be high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYlojGalydY (advise turning sound off to avoid music) seems to give a menu walk through for adding out ports

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User H4MZ4
(newbie) Mon 29-Oct-18 20:03:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYlojGalydY (advise turning sound off to avoid music) seems to give a menu walk through for adding out ports

SuperHub 3's interface is different to that older interface, but the overal setting names are the same.

--

Instructions:

Assuming your not in modem mode, go to http://192.168.0.1/

Enter password under the router on the sticker, unless you've changed it

Go to Advanced Settings, Security, Port Forwarding

Then add a new rule and setup the internal and external ports as you need them.

If the device does use UPnP, you might already see the ports opened with a message showing "Opened with UPNP"

Edited by H4MZ4 (Mon 29-Oct-18 20:05:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User geoffchesh
(newbie) Mon 29-Oct-18 20:24:08
Print Post

Thanks for that - my problem is that the new device is refusing to connect to the router, and so does not have any ip address. So I'm struggling to work out how to make this happen really
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Oct-18 20:44:01
Print Post

How are you accessing the configuration for the door bell?

And how do you know it is not getting a local IP address? Changing the port forwarding will not fix getting an IP address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User geoffchesh
(newbie) Tue 30-Oct-18 05:43:44
Print Post

I am using a dedicated app, written by the manufacturer (Ring) for the purpose.
Functionality is very limited and I cannot find a route into its setup.

Setup fails at the point of configuring the device to connect to the Wifi.

After extensive hardware problem solving with the manufacturer, the next step is to review the port settings.

I am **very** happy that the network is working as expected. In all other cases, passwords and hardware is operating correctly.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Oct-18 08:35:11
Print Post

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001773...

Suggests that when the doorbell is in setup mode your tablet/phone/laptop creates its own wireless network for setup called Ring Setup is your device connecting to that?

How far are you getting through those steps before it fails? And can other devices see the Virgin Media wi-fi network at the location the bell is installed...one idea is to setup the doorbell in the same room as the superhub to ensure that during the setup phase wireless signal strength is less of an issue

Standard User geoffchesh
(newbie) Tue 30-Oct-18 18:40:30
Print Post

Hi

I think I am beyond this now. I can connect to the device's internal network without issue. That's not the problem. It's the configuration of the main WiFi that causes the hitch. The network can be clearly seen, has a strong signal (it should have as the bell is in the socket next to it) and asks for the password. It is at this point that the setup fails.

The password is most definitely correct (other devices using it and connecting without issue to the hub).

The manufacturer has had three technicians (of different levels of competence) picking through this, with success. The setup has been attempted with an iPhone, with the iPhone with 3G disables, on a wifi only iPad and on an android phone. All get the same result.

We have carried out belt-and-braces rebooting of the network, and attempting to setup with all other network devices turned off (to prevent the likelihood of an interference and competition for ip addresses). I have even though about adding the Mac address to a whitelist - no joy.

So we are at the end of the line I think. I have already sent two devices back, and just want two make sure that there are no final 'hurrahs' to work through before I finally throw in the towel.

The suggestion about the ports are (I think) the last throw of the device from technical support. My headache is, I cannot work out how to set this configuration on the router.
Standard User geoffchesh
(newbie) Tue 30-Oct-18 18:42:16
Print Post

[re: H4MZ4] [link to this post]

Thanks - but I don't understand how to set up port forwarding when the device is not even getting an IP address from the DHCP server.

Can you explain a bit more for me please ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Oct-18 22:05:07
Print Post

Setting up port forwarding should have nothing at all to do with the doorbell registering and appearing on the routers wi-fi network

Time to get a refund on the ring it seems

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to