User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jamie2k18
(newbie) Tue 13-Nov-18 18:15:01
Print Post

Can some 1 help me please.

[link to this post]

I have been on phone to virgin and all I get is, there is nothing wrong o my line. I have had 3 guys out to come and look all they have done is change router and it's getting very annoying now. Has it's getting to point where I cannot stream a film if more then 2 people are using the internet. And it's very laggy on games. Please look at this >>>>> https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/... <<<<<<<<
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Nov-18 20:01:52
Print Post

Re: Can some 1 help me please.

[re: jamie2k18] [link to this post]

The monitor is suggesting that apart from a short 15 minutes last night you had zero internet connection, which I doubt. The issue the monitor is showing is most likely the superhub3 not responding to pings, something it decides to do periodically.

The quality monitor is not really what you want to use for diagnosing bandwidth problems that stop streaming work, but more useful is the speed test https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and particularly the speed and shape of the first test which is a single download.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jamie2k18
(newbie) Tue 13-Nov-18 20:12:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is my speed test.>>>> https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15421397732... <<< The internet has been been going on and off for past month. Virgin are very daft when I was on the phone to them they made out like there was no problem when I know there is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Nov-18 21:05:07
Print Post

Presume this is the 70 Mbps service you are on? If yes main download test looks good, and the single download while variable should be fine for streaming.

If what other people are doing is for example downloading a large game update then these do have a tendency to swamp most connections and cause video problems.

The shape of the graphs do suggest though that speeds may be highly variable and you may have spells that are a lot worse.

Cause - probably just how much use everyone is making of their connections in your town. Virgin has the reputation for suffering this more than other providers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jamie2k18
(newbie) Tue 13-Nov-18 21:49:15
Print Post

I am on 100Mbps I only seem to get 100Mbps when I am on phone to them. Just been in on phone. And they said that they have a fair usage policy. Wich I thought they didn't have. There saying because my house hold has used nearly 1tb download this month. That I am capt for the next 3 month's. I didn't think they could do that. All I do is play online games. Do updates on pc and console's plus phone. And Netflix I don't do anything else. Other then Skype to my uncle in another country.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Nov-18 22:38:27
Print Post

Which contradicts https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents...

Standard User jamie2k18
(newbie) Tue 13-Nov-18 22:51:11
Print Post

Yes I know, soon has I told then that I have been in Ofcom website and it states there that virgin do not slow down no matter how much usage you use etc. They shouldn't cap me the person put phone down on me. Like now I have just done a speed test and my ping is 32. DL42 Mbps. And up 3Mbps. It seems after 4pm they are capping us over ere in the UK and it's really getting in my nerves now.
Standard User Lithurge
(regular) Wed 14-Nov-18 11:39:12
Print Post

Whomever told you that is talking rubbish. My household regularly exceeds 1tb a month and has no problems with speed. Perhaps they got confused with their Business Wifi service which has a FUP at 1GB a day?

As for your problem if it kicks in at the same time every day it may well be contention, 4pm is about the time kids are home from school.

However what I would suggest you also do is check the power levels throughout the day if you can. I had a problem where my speed would drop at midday every day, declining until it would stop working altogether.

This coincided with the power levels dropping lower and lower until they got so low the connection dropped. It turned out a component in the network was failing and got fixed when it failed totally and brought the entire area down.

It's been a while since I checked them but from memory once you've logged into the Hub you can find the power levels under the router status section. Again from memory the ideal is power levels around 0, you'll most likely have figures + or - either side, so long as they're relatively low you're ok. It usually drops the connection if the power level exceeds + or - 12 in my experience.

It's also worth posting in the VM forums, it takes them a while but a UK based support agent should pick up your query and will be slightly more helpful than an overseas one.

Edited by Lithurge (Wed 14-Nov-18 11:42:04)

Standard User jamie2k18
(newbie) Thu 15-Nov-18 00:40:15
Print Post

[re: Lithurge] [link to this post]

thank you for your reply since then i have been back on phone to them, and told them that i have respoken to OFcom, and that they said virgin do not have a fair usage policy and that they are looking into to it etc. i have gave them a screen shot of my packet loss. even when i tried in CMD i got around 85% packet loss to ip 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 so virgin then turned round and said there is alot of congestion in my area. and for the past 32 hours i haven't had 1 packet loss. just my speed now. has there saying a load of [censored], and i am getting fed up of being sent from 1 person to another and they all say different. ere is link for past 24hrs >>> https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
<<<<
Standard User Lithurge
(member) Thu 15-Nov-18 08:40:01
Print Post

The problem with outsourced support is they're incentivized on the number of calls they complete, not the quality of support they provide, so the quicker they get you off the phone the better. This is why I suggest you post about this in the support forum. Yes it takes a few days for support to pick up, but they aren't incentivized on getting rid of you as quickly as possible so they tend to look into issues properly.

If it is congestion then you are at the mercy of VM sending engineers out to upgrade capacity (or for enough customers to get fed up and leave) to sort your speed out. All the posts I've seen on this issue suggest it can take months for them to upgrade capacity.

As they've admitted congestion is the issue and they can't provide the speed you paid for because of this ask them to reduce your bill until it's fixed.
  Print Thread

Jump to