User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lighthugger
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-19 11:09:04
Print Post

When is a problem not a problem

[link to this post]

I've used VM for over 5 years and they have been pretty reliable. What is infuriating is when I get a problem they don't seem to want to take ownership. The last issue took over 5 weeks for them to get serious and 2 hours to repair. This is my current issue:

My Broadband Ping

Three techs and the head-end engineer say I don't have a problem. When you use something on a regular basis and it changes, you notice. When I switch webpages and get a "no internet connection" message it's not a fantasy, it is a problem.

I think it's time to switch ISP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Feb-19 12:22:45
Print Post

Re: When is a problem not a problem

[re: Lighthugger] [link to this post]

The large spikes are not looking good, have you verified by doing some outbound pinging

The firmware on the Superhubs can be a pita for responding to inbound pings and thus virgin techies have a tendency to ignore charts like yours, so you need to show the packet loss exists in both directions.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lighthugger
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-19 13:18:58
Print Post

Re: When is a problem not a problem

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello, I use Colasoft for outward pinging and it matches up with the BQM incoming ping chart. I ping the Virgin server in Nottingham which is about 60 miles away and I routinely drop packets for 80 seconds, windows announces no internet at about 30 seconds. My average packet loss runs at 3-5% on a good day.

The main problem I have is with Virgin taking ownership. This is only the second major problem I've had with Virgin (in 5 years) but they are terrible at responding and there doesn't seem to any coordination. If you get through the call centre and get a local tech you are stuck if he doesn't find a problem. He will mention it to his manager and that's the last you hear about it and the call centre is so frustrating it puts you off wanting to call back (deliberately perhaps?)

I'm waiting to hear back from Zen with a view to switching - I need to find out whose internet infrastructure they use.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to