User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User charles1
(learned) Tue 12-Apr-16 19:47:35
Print Post

Vofafone Connect Router - enable Ping on WAN interface?

[link to this post]

Just migrated to Vodafone Connect FTTC 40/10. Migration went smoothly, but I was not aware my phone number was changing - due to LLU / full MPF I guess. A speedtest reveals I am getting near the maximum for the profile which is good, with virtually no jitter.

Setting up my TBB monitor, but it looks like the supplied router does not respond to ping on the WAN interface. Does anyone know how to change this please? Nothing obvious in the user interface.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Vodafone FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Apr-16 12:59:40
Print Post

Re: Vofafone Connect Router - enable Ping on WAN interface?

[re: charles1] [link to this post]

You will probably find you can't and there is no way to change it, from what I heard about Vodafone router it is pretty basic to configure and you can not even have a different router.

One reason why I will not be going to Vodafone if I decide to change provider when my plusnet contract runs out.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User mbames
(regular) Sat 16-Apr-16 15:10:34
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Just looked very briefly at my mates router..... it seems to support VPN service (LLTP, or somesuch, so nothing brilliant, but better than most 'free ISP' routers)

Sky Fibre (40/10), HG612, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User charles1
(learned) Sun 17-Apr-16 14:33:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by charles1:
Just migrated to Vodafone Connect FTTC 40/10. Migration went smoothly, but I was not aware my phone number was changing - due to LLU / full MPF I guess. A speedtest reveals I am getting near the maximum for the profile which is good, with virtually no jitter.

Setting up my TBB monitor, but it looks like the supplied router does not respond to ping on the WAN interface. Does anyone know how to change this please? Nothing obvious in the user interface.

Update: I have cancelled - within the cooling off period that extends to 14 days after activation. Still waiting for confirmation of cancellation...

Confirmed that Vodafone do not allow your own router. There appears to be a bug in the router - at least in the one I was issued with - some of the WiFi features do not work.
Also, there appears to be traffic management (I read an article somewhere prior to signing up that stated there was not.)
Finally, unable to activate phone features from the web portal - had to use the web chat feature, but accoridng to the web portal they have still not been activated.

Might be suitable for a basic home user who happens to have a Vodafone mobile as well. However, for any advanced or techincal users (which I guess includes those reading this forum) I would suggest it is best avoided.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Vodafone FTTC
Standard User watercooled
(newbie) Sun 17-Apr-16 14:55:43
Print Post

It's well worth knowing!

So is it just Sky and now Vodafone who lock you in to using the supplied router or are there others?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 17-Apr-16 14:57:35
Print Post

[re: watercooled] [link to this post]

Sky don't lock you in
(newbie) Sun 17-Apr-16 15:15:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

For the FTTC package it's forbidden in the ToS:

You must not use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access Sky Fibre Broadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 17-Apr-16 15:18:08
Print Post

Yeah well, I'm using pfSense on Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro grin
(newbie) Sun 17-Apr-16 15:21:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I didn't say it wasn't possible, just in breach of ToS. I imagine it's the same on Vodafone?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 17-Apr-16 15:40:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by watercooled:
I didn't say it wasn't possible, just in breach of ToS. I imagine it's the same on Vodafone?
"lock you in" sounds like you saying it's not possible.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to