User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jun-16 17:34:32
Print Post

Re: Vodafone - any good?

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Ahhh yes, I remember the frog USB modem fondly (aka Speedtouch modem) on Bulldog broadband donkeys years ago!

I still have mine in a box somewhere, it was made by Alcatel at the time before Thomson took that part over.

the only problem with that modem was that it used so much power, so you put it on your USB and that was it, nothing else would work on the other USB on that pair.

Because i had a lodger here at the time, I had a network and the frog was connected to a computer in my bedroom and our two computers was connected to that, so when we wanted to go on to the net the computer in my bedroom would dial up, not that it was really dialling up. did the same thing with Dial up before we went onto ADSL.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jun-16 17:43:36
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Thank you. The Vodafone pricing is very attractive if you are already a mobile customer, but making it difficult for you to use your own equipment is very unhelpful.

With my first broadband service I had to buy my own router if I wanted to use one instead of the 'frog'.

I am not sure if the prices are that great to be honest, at the start it is with the offer, but to be honest if i went for the 38Mb/s fibre which is what I have with Plusnet, it would cost £31.99 a month, which is in fact 1p more than what I pay now.
I am contracted with Plusnet until August anyway, so it gives me a couple of months to think about what to do.

i would save in my first 12 months as Vodafone would do an offer, the problem is I am one of these people that do not like all my eggs in one basket.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 02-Jun-16 18:45:04
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

It does depend. At a Market 1 exchange for an ADSL service, Plusnet charge £17.49 after any inital period, Vodafone want £5. At the moment I have an 18 month free broadband contract with Plusnet, I need to be careful what happens when the contract comes to an end. According to uswitch, SSE will do upto 76Mbps FTTC for £5.00 pm

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Fri 03-Jun-16 08:03:08
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Being on a Market 1 exchange the options are limited for ADSL2. There is TalkTalk LLU presence,
Decided to go down the Pulse8 route with LLU good price and only 1 month notice
There is fibre option but, speed not much different. Not worth the extra for my limited use.
May look at Vodafone later. Notice their router is linked to an App which allows you to prioritise users for speed when multi access internet, amongst others. Does appear to be loaded towards Vodafone Mobile Users with Home Phone Options though.
Standard User mbames
(regular) Mon 06-Jun-16 23:13:19
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
They simply won't give you the necessary login details should you want to use your own router, though technically you could use the xDSL modem part of the VF router and then piggy back your own router for the wifi/router part.
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Data-on-the-go/Vodaf...
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products...

One of my mates, after a few phone calls, managed to get the logon details from VF, but last I heard he could never get his Draytek to connect using them - so maybe the guy just lied to him to get him off the phone (although they did text him the same details). I must catch up with him and find out if he ever had success or not.

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jun-16 17:41:20
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
One of my mates, after a few phone calls, managed to get the logon details from VF, but last I heard he could never get his Draytek to connect using them - so maybe the guy just lied to him to get him off the phone (although they did text him the same details). I must catch up with him and find out if he ever had success or not.

If a provider do not want me to connect my own router and they do want to provide the info to do it, then they will not get my custom

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to