User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User philippercival
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jun-16 18:24:35
Print Post

Vodafone router

[link to this post]

I have just bitten the bullet and decided to give vodafone a try.

I have read in lots of places that you have to use their router, however CS assured me this was not the case.

I have found this picture and instructions for their router and presume that as I have a normal FTTC connection I should connect the phone line to the DSL socket.

I do want to continue using my hacked Huwaie modem originally supplied by openreach. Would this work if I connected it to the WAN port on the vodafone device and connected the phone line to the Huawie.

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Fri 01-Jul-16 08:27:29
Print Post

Re: Vodafone router

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Would this work if I connected it to the WAN port on the vodafone device

Yes
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jul-16 15:12:05
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Thank You

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Jul-16 08:59:34
Print Post

I did not even know it had Wan, that is good then and it got 1Gb Ethernet which is more than what sky router have got.

I am looking at vodafone as one of my options, the problem is I may not be using their phone service for much longer, so the price will be higher then. While Vodafone tells you that you do not need to use their router, they do not tell not tell you any info that will allow you to use another one.
I have a TPlink, which is a good little router and that is connected to my BTOR modem, if I went for Vodafone I would like to keep to this.

Anyway, let people know what Vodafone is like as a ISP when you are up and running and if there is any difference with what you are using now.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jul-16 23:57:15
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Not going live just yet, however the router turned up today.

No wan port on the back as in that picture, until I pealed of a label, which said this port is not in use, and there it was. However no mention of it in the very meager instructions, so will just have to experiment once I am connected.

Will let you know how I get on in a couple of weeks.

Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 05-Jul-16 12:47:20
Print Post

I did 2 x live chats with vodafone yesterday asking the specific question: "can I use my own VDSL modem and router instead of the Vodafone unit, and will Vodafone supply me with the necessary authentication details to enable me to use my own equipment".

The first one said I would be supplied the username and password, but then went to imply that was for the wifi.

The second said yes, but when pressed would't send me an email saying that. They took my details and promised me a callback from their BB Team within 24 hours. I suspect it is unlikely they will phone me back, as Vodafone customer service is only slight better than what runs through the sewers!

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jul-16 14:50:00
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Their chat and 1st line team do have a lot of people who do not really know what they are talking about.

When I rang them I was pit through to the broadband team who assured me I could use my own router, but I would need to speak to the broadband team once it was up and running. The same was said about a fixed IP address. These remarks should both be on their recording of the conversation.

As long as I can use my Huwae modem which is hacked to give the stats, then I do not mind about the router.

Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 05-Jul-16 15:56:45
Print Post

I shall await to see if you can connect with your own equipment. One of my mates managed to get a username and password from them, but has failed to get his 2860 to connect (was previously using on Sky, so maybe some old settings linger).

I'd certainly save a few quid switching to Vodafone, but Sky customer service has been outstanding, which is the total reverse of when ever I have the misfortune to have to speak to Vodafone. I have to weigh up savings vs rubbish customer service.

I did try ringing them, but I couldn't find the right options to actually speak to anyone about BB, it seemed to be much more mobile based (billing, or my phone doesn't work)... They might say the calls are recorded, but may be unlikely to dig them out unless the call is likely to find in their favour....

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jul-16 21:02:26
Print Post

Sadly I have cancelled my order. The reason was basically increasing nervousness after reading countless messages on the forums. I rang vodofone and discovered that,

1. The will not allow you to use your own router. This was not critical except.
2. You can not turn off DHCP in the router, but you can allocate fixed IP addressed to particular devices.
3. 2 above was what they were interpreting as a fixed IP address. I wanted a web-facing fixed IP.
4. They do not offer mail services..

I know all these can be worked round, but life is too short.

Edit: I should add that I did manage to get through to the broadband team, by feeding in my account number rather than mobile number, although this was the first time this worked. Sadly the lady I spoke to understood none of the questions and had to refer to the technical team. The real downer was that she would not let me speak to the technical team. That was the final straw.

Edited by philippercival (Thu 07-Jul-16 21:08:34)

Standard User arendall667
(regular) Fri 08-Jul-16 02:05:34
Print Post

A quick Google search shows that many many other Vodafone users have had no luck what so ever using another router over a number of months.

There are also many threads you can find which seem to think that the Vodafone router is a pile of **** with crashing regularly, which then requires a power cycle, being one of the main faults (along with the lack of DHCP options and an inability to handle more than a low number of wireless devices without dropping connections).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to