User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Enceladus
(member) Sun 14-Aug-16 17:23:39
Print Post

DHCP range & 5GHz SSID

[link to this post]

My BT Infinity contract has expired and I am thinking of jumping ship.

Reading on here it seems that the customers are locked into using the Vodafone router unless they strike lucky and reach the right person etc?

The DHCP on the Vodafone router cannot be switched off? Well OK, but can the DHCP range be altered to allow a defined address outside this DHCP range to be configured on ANOther router which I am using as an access point. The BT HH4 supports this.

And is it possible to change the 5GHz SSID to something different than the 2.4GHz SSID? That's standard on BT HH4. If not, is it possible to switch off 5GHz separately from 2.4GHz? Or is it just all or nothing Wi-Fi enabled or disabled?

Edit! Is it possible to configure the DNS servers that are handed out by DHCP? The lack of this capability is a bugbear with BT.

Thanks,

Edited by Enceladus (Sun 14-Aug-16 19:20:59)

Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 17-Aug-16 14:49:25
Print Post

Re: DHCP range & 5GHz SSID

[re: Enceladus] [link to this post]

You can change the DHCP scope via the advanced options (image nicked from another post), although I don't see the option to change DNS server details.

Advanced Network settings

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net

Edited by mbames (Wed 17-Aug-16 14:52:29)

Standard User dovey2
(experienced) Thu 25-Aug-16 10:27:10
Print Post

Re: DHCP range & 5GHz SSID

[re: Enceladus] [link to this post]

Just got my Voda router going, it has the ability to split the 2.4 and 5g channels - Just done it on mine and the 5ghz speed it's connected at is identical to my old HH5 so it's so far so good.

Looking at the DHCP options,

It can be switched off
It has a home network and a guest network option
You can set the address start and end pool IP for Home/Guest
You can set the lease time
You can set static DHCP for devices in the home / guest network

I'm on the 40mb plan and a speed test has come back at full speed. I switched from Infinity 1 and I had been upgraded to 52mb so my line speed has dropped back down but It's halved my bill compared to BT so fingers crossed the service stays good.

Edited by dovey2 (Thu 25-Aug-16 10:34:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to