User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Sep-16 12:29:27
Print Post

All up and running

[link to this post]

All up and running now!

Currently speeds are somewhat slower than with PlusNet - the average is around 50Mbps rather than high 60's, so I may have to have a word with them. However, I will see if I can get the router details from them and try my current one.

I'm not too worried at the loss at the moment, especially as the latency has been reduced a fair bit, and besides, it may all need to settle down.

YouTube seems to start playing much quicker than with PlusNet - the latter used to buffer for a second or two and then play, whilst this started straight away. No buffering needed

The Vodafone router is rather nice. You get the option to dim/deactivate the power lights. There are also two Wifi systems, which is nice. The odd thing is they cant assigned different channels.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Working on Assembloids #Go!
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 13-Sep-16 23:25:54
Print Post

Re: All up and running

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

The pricing is very attractive so I hope it works well. At one number I was looking at the lower FTTC speed and ADSL cost the same for a vodafone mobile customer.

Michael Chare
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 10:20:09
Print Post

Early days, it could settle down, or it may not, but then would that extra speed make a lot of difference to you?
Do Vodafone use traffic management like Plusnet and do they turn filters on as default?
If latency is better then webpages and maybe even youtube will be more responsive,

Not sure if I like the vodafone router or not, it looks ok, but like a lot of routers these days have got nothing on it to show you what it is doing, just a light to say it is connected.
Just like the new router from plusnet.
There is very little info about the Vodafone router, how many Ethernet connections are on the back? The majority of my devices are Ethernet, well they was until I got my chrome casts, now it is about half.

What do you mean by two wif-fi systems? I know it have a guest feature and I expect it is dual band, saying that I have had to separate the dual bands in some routers and even switch off the 5Ghz feature.

If i go with vodafone for broadband depends on a few things, one of them is if they can get their act together with their mobile phone signal here, because at the moment is it awful

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 13:59:28
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

There are 4 Ethernet connectors at the back.

The two wi-fi systems is a main and guest wifi setup.

The extra speed would be nice to have, but not essential smile

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 18:52:33
Print Post

cheers for that, four is better than the three i have on the plusnet router, I do have a network switch as well which helps.

Is the router dual band, it should be in this day and age, and can you separate the bands or turn one off if needed? I doubt you have got into that.
My router is 2.5Ghz and to be honest it have not been a problem, I have known people have more problems with the newer 5Ghz band to be honest./

i will wait for a few weeks and see how it goes with you, saying that trying to contact Vodafone online is almost impossible. If they do not sort things out they will be losing a couple of customers on their mobile network and losing the chance of getting a broadband customer.

their phone signal around here have gone to pot, even EE is better and i thought that would be impossible.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-16 13:41:39
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The two wi-fi systems can have different frequencies - sort of, they cant be totally seperated

contact Vodafone online is almost impossible

Yes, everyone seems to be busy!

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Fri 16-Sep-16 22:28:41
Print Post

Hmm do you do any big downloads? any throttling?

Am thinking about moving from Vivaciti
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-16 17:35:10
Print Post

[re: ady702] [link to this post]

Haven't seen anything like that. Do a lot of game playing with Battlefield, and that has been fine.

I do have a lot of FEC upstream errors (currently 24,148) - whether it was also the case with PlusNet, I dont know, but it is something I would like to get sorted smile

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Sat 17-Sep-16 18:02:24
Print Post

Thanks, only thing putting me off is the long 18 month contract but compared to Plusnets "throttling" seems ok from what I have read so I'm not sure where to go.

Only those two at the moment who do fibre-only without changing phone companies. Although there is Zen but much more expensive with 12 months.

May give it afew months to see how Vodafone are coming along, seem too new at the moment.

Edited by ady702 (Sat 17-Sep-16 18:09:38)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-16 21:54:08
Print Post

[re: ady702] [link to this post]

You still need to change your phone service to go with vodafone, it is not fibre only.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to